i30 Owners Club

Police & Speed Cameras Visible/Hidden (Discussion for and against)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Same here, I guess what I'm saying is that there is a fine line where green goes amber and the moron behind thinks he can get through before red, but I've braked and, well you know the rest.   :(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Or maybe... don't speed, then you don't have fines to worry about.

Just saying.....

Sounds good in theory.....

How many of us have found, with the multitude of changing speed limits in a short stretch of road, to have acidently missed one and are still sailing along at the previous posted speed?

I know I have.....

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Happened to me the other day, fortunately, GPS knew better.  :)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Sadly you can't always rely on the GPS...
Many a time my gps has indicated an incorrect speed limit...both higher and lower, so I tend not to put to much trust in it....  :fum:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I reckon speed cameras, sorry, "safety" cameras, (as they are called in Victoria) are more about revenue than road safety.....

Safety cameras are designed to detect one thing....speed over the posted limit.

They have no effect on tailgating drivers, drivers failing to indicate, drivers using mobile phones, drunk drivers, the list goes on.....

Even for those drivers they do detect speeding, what effect does it have?

Zilch, the driver continues and, who knows, may end up causing an accident down the road.

Receiving a fine and coping a few demerit points weeks later means jack if they have already wiped out a family.....  :mad:

Extremely well said Rusty  :goodjob:

Many a time my gps has indicated an incorrect speed limit...both higher and lower, so I tend not to put to much trust in it....  :fum:

Yes, I found this with my Garmin too, while cruisin' around Victoria  :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
:rofl: Perhaps they were both deaf people and that was the only way they could communicate with each other.

Yeah when we were chatting in the lunch room after work someone said something similar, maybe it was mum and daughter in the car together and maybe this was the only way they could talk to each other  :rolleyes:
I'm sure you guys are saying that in jest.
If they need to communicate by mobile phone then the learner shouldn't be driving.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I reckon speed cameras, sorry, "safety" cameras, (as they are called in Victoria) are more about revenue than road safety.....

Safety cameras are designed to detect one thing....speed over the posted limit.

They have no effect on tailgating drivers, drivers failing to indicate, drivers using mobile phones, drunk drivers, the list goes on.....

Even for those drivers they do detect speeding, what effect does it have?

Zilch, the driver continues and, who knows, may end up causing an accident down the road.

Receiving a fine and coping a few demerit points weeks later means jack if they have already wiped out a family.....  :mad:

Extremely well said Rusty  :goodjob:

Yes, I found this with my Garmin too, while cruisin' around Victoria  :disapp:

I borrowed my daughter's tom tom and  I must say I was impressed with the audio alerts and speed alerts too. Pity they aren't offering lifetime updates.

I had to go to Glenelg the other day, my Garmin doesn't have lane assist and you guessed it, wrong lane, added 15 minutes of idle speed to the trip. seriously thinking of  moving on to something else. We have stacks of speed / red light cameras in the city now and the tom tom goes berserk as you approach one, I like that. The Garmin has a much more muted tone that you could miss.  :neutral:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I borrowed my daughter's tom tom and  I must say I was impressed with the audio alerts and speed alerts too. Pity they aren't offering lifetime updates.

I had to go to Glenelg the other day, my Garmin doesn't have lane assist and you guessed it, wrong lane, added 15 minutes of idle speed to the trip. seriously thinking of  moving on to something else. We have stacks of speed / red light cameras in the city now and the tom tom goes berserk as you approach one, I like that. The Garmin has a much more muted tone that you could miss.  :neutral:

I find the Garmin OK that way.. just I badly need a map update (but I'm not paying) and some speed limits have changed and others are just plain wrong .. :Pout:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
So you're not on the lifetime updates then.

When you update, it also updates it's internal program as well. I've noticed a few minor changes that didn't happen before.
I wish they'd change the fuel economy graph, can't see it well in blue with polaroid sunnies on and make the camera alerts louder.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So you're not on the lifetime updates then.

When you update, it also updates it's internal program as well. I've noticed a few minor changes that didn't happen before.
I wish they'd change the fuel economy graph, can't see it well in blue with polaroid sunnies on and make the camera alerts louder.

Paid top $$ and just missed out on those .. I did get one free upgrade  :whistler: But haven't been able to source another  :undecided:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I dunno about everyone elses Garmins but with mine I am able to reset the speed limits displayed if they are showing incorrectly....

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Not mine  :(

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Just try tapping the indicated speed limit with your finger, Phil....you just never know.
I actually never knew I could alter mine for ages after I bought it, I guess that's what happens when you don't bother with instructions.. :lol:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I give it a go, thanks  :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal