i30 Owners Club

30K Service

Tazgal · 8 · 3120

Offline Tazgal

• 2nd Gear
  • You Wish

• au Australia
      Sydney
Booked my I30 petrol in for its 30K service which is capped at $219.00 for the service.
I just received a phone call from the service department informing me that all is well except for the pollen filter which needs replacing, an added cost of $85.
Does that sound right?
How long does a pollen filter suppose to last?
I missed the optional previous service....a mistake by me?
Is the pollen filter something that can be cleaned instead of replaced?
I30 has been going ok.
My hubby bought a  Diesel Santa Fe which is going great except that it almost stalls at low revs eg approaching and leaving a roundabout.
He asked about it when he had the car serviced but they said it was nothing they could fix as it didn't happen when they took the vehicle for a test drive.
I drove the car myself and almost had a heart attack when trying to make a quick exit from a roundabout and the car almost stalled on me when a quick exit was required.
Anyone else have that problem and what's the solution?
Thanks
Deb
  • I-30

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Personally, I would change the pollen filter myself.  You can get them from ebay for around $40.  The instructions for replacing them should be in your manual.   It's accessed through the glove compartment.

For the Santa Fe I would go back to the dealer, and have a tech in the car while you replicate the problem.  It sounds dangerous.

Your i30 is looking great!  Like new.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Interesting this. It's a common "add on" to services these days. Especially when the servicing is "fixed price".
We just had my wife's Corolla serviced by the local Toyota dealer.  It's the 30,000 service, too.
Fixed price servicing at $220.
Phone call - needs a new cabin filter = $60
                 and new wiper blades (inserts) as they are perished and not wiping the screen properly = $55

"Leave them for now, please"

The wipers are working absolutely perfectly and the screen is clear and unmarked.

I'm a bit ambivalent about Cabin Pollen Filters (just checked Supercheap Autos website - $28.69 for the Corolla and looks like about a 5 minute job.
But I've never replaced one in a car I've owned. The i30 is coming up to 5 years old. Our previous Corolla was 10 when we traded it.
They seem to have become "the thing" in modern cars yet we never had them in years past.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

I just received a phone call from the service department informing me that all is well except for the pollen filter which needs replacing, an added cost of $85.
Does that sound right?

What replacement interval does the service schedule say?

My filter was replaced at 2 years per the service sechedule.

In UK this would cost £15 to £20.

To replace takes about 5 minutes in the GD about 10 minutes in the FD
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Purchase and replace the pollen filter yourself.  That's a rip off price. The existing one should be able to be vacuumed from the correct side of course, unless you've been through bulldust all it's life.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Good to hear from you Deb.
This is how dealers make their money.
I wouldn't get it replaced by them, personally, but if you have already, no great harm done.
The optional services are just that -optional. Unless operating your car in extreme conditions, I wouldn't worry about it.
As for the Santa Fe, as suggested, I'd be back to the dealer on that one.
Your car is looking great.   :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
My 2c worth

I pulled the pollen filter on my i30 the weekend I received it and it was all blackened up, full of soot (I could tell the car had previously been driven in city traffic for most of it's life), and no amount of cleaning would get it white again...

...but I still tried :P

I put both pieces in hot water and swirled it around for a good 15 minutes until no more soot polluted the water. I had to replace the water every three or so minutes, but I used no detergents or cleaning fluids.

Dried it out over a paraffin heater (and melted a little piece of it as I was being too eager - glued it up with Bostik) and by the morning it was dry as a bone. Installed it and haven't had a day's problems. I will admit that the flow rate is a lot better and the air rushing through the ducts in the dash seem less noisy after I cleaned it. I am guessing due to less resistance - it is amazing how much of a difference it made!

Don't get me wrong, I would gladly buy a proper replacement filter but the pricing here is absolutely ridiculous and I am not willing to pay so much for an item so small and simple
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
There has been a recent change to pollen filter supply, alot of pressure on Hyundai by dealers over extreme prices. There is a new parts list available of Hyundai Approved filters. Still genuine parts supplied by Hyundai just from a different source.

FD p/n 087901H500A rrp. $44.39
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal