i30 Owners Club

Quick check - AT fluid and oil colours

eXDee · 2 · 1069

Offline eXDee

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
Hey all,

Mostly interested in the AT fluid at the bottom there. It was dark grey/brown maybe with some burning, cant recall but i remember being told it was bad - i'd just bought the vehicle second hand. This change was approx 6-8mo ago. I believe they did a change not a full flush. When it went in it was red.  What does your trained eye see when you look at the fluid at the botttom? Note its been on the paper towel for several minutes, enough to soak in and look a little more transparent than when it first came out.

Top is engine oil, which is a bit darker than i'm used to seeing but it's using Havoline 5w40 fully synthetic.

• 2009 i30cw CRDi Elite

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The at fluid should be changed at the specified intervals about 70k I think, but to guarantee good operating I'd be looking at 50K and a full flush.

The Diesel engine is fed with exhaust gas by the egr valve which will dirty up the oil, but these engines continue to go and keep going, so the oil discolouration should not be a worry. Just remember to always use full synthetic oil and in cold conditions you could go to 30 grade.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal