i30 Owners Club

Finally got it! :)

Guest · 104 · 32800

Xamaxy
Yesterday i picked up mine!!
And OMG what a ride.
100000% happy to go with 2.0 instead of 1.6, it goes like crazy!!  Took a highway trip to pizza place with 120kph at 2100rpm, so niiiice.

Thx everyone for recommending 2.0!!

Made my first 250km from last night and economy is sitting still at 7.0l.

Best like - sound system!! It's incredible!!!!!
Dislike - factory tyres could be better but doesnt matter, getting Bridgestone Turanza either way, other than that NON what-so-ever!!!

Here's pic, it's raining so i took fast one :D:

PS best moment, first exit from dealership and hitting the break and kissing a windshield hahahahahaha :D

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Great to hear of your first impression.

Many happy miles, I mean K's, of carefree motoring
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
She looks great Martin :)

I'm pleased that you're pleased :D

So, tomorrow ordering, this will be longest 45-60 days in my life :D

There ya go... the time passed real quickly now didn't it  :wink: :wink:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Xamaxy
Hehehe Shambles, yeah.

Actually car came REALLY fast considering they send the order to build in first next wave, 1.1.2010.
It came 2.2.2010., waaaaay under 45 days they've said...but then bank started to pull some jobs on me and screw me over few times so my blue devil had to wait for whole 2 adittional weeks :(

Considering how good price they gave me, their attitude towards customer in the first place, progress in car quality i must say hyundi got me for good :D

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera
Great car Martin!  :) :) :)
Good choice of engine... You will not be disappointed...
  • I30 CW 2.0 CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Congrats Martin. looks good (enjoy)  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Great engine, nice color :) 2.0 CRDI's have 6-speed transmission?

Yes, now you reminded me about the brakes too. I was also used to my previous cars brakes, and even those weren't at their best, so the first kilometer was quite interesting :D

Turanza should be much much better, even though the Hankook's (you have them on now, right?) aren't that bad, when new. Your fuel economy will improve, your parking too  :P Just joking  :mrgreen:

Post some more pictures  :wink:

Xamaxy
Great engine, nice color :) 2.0 CRDI's have 6-speed transmission?

Yes, now you reminded me about the brakes too. I was also used to my previous cars brakes, and even those weren't at their best, so the first kilometer was quite interesting :D

Turanza should be much much better, even though the Hankook's (you have them on now, right?) aren't that bad, when new. Your fuel economy will improve, your parking too  :P Just joking  :mrgreen:

Post some more pictures  :wink:

Oh yeah, sweet 6-speed.
Just yesterday i saw few reviews and comments about hankook so decision is that i use them for like 20-25k and then i come to your country for turanza accim hehehehe if you are close we can grab a few fruty beverages or just AHM beer AHM :D

:-[ Yeah parking is troubling me for the moment just a bit hehehehe much MUCH higher radius of turning then on my Lantra, so it takes few tries to get used too  :-[ :-[ :-[

PS maybe later few more pics, now gonna get few hundred k's more hehehehe, damn car is addiction  :lol: :lol:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Nice one Martin, glad you are happy. :razz: 8) 8)

The brakes got me at the start too, but they soon bed in and feel normal.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
The brakes got me at the start too, but they soon bed in and feel normal.

Yeah, took a few hundred miles to settle down, they were just like an on-off switch before that.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
Hi Xamaxy
2.0lt and 6-speed transmittion is nice (i'm jealous..) :)
Even my humble 1.4 engine feels like it has depth.

Well, i haven't get used to the brakes yet and still having a major problem. That is whenever i try to brake with my other car, i open the door and put my left foot down, on the road :lol: (or maybe that is because it is a corolla, hehe)

Now seriously, brakes are perfect, the only concern is that Hankooks are causing ABS to lock easily on slippery roads (esp. that 185/65R15 of mine)
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Xamaxy
Thank you guys.

First 700km and i am still obssessed with the car, its bloody perfect!!
Today i tested it on "open road", going from my work town to home town...180km, many small towns and villages on the way so speed isnt constant. Did like 80-100kph most of the time in 4th and 5th gear, ofc plenty of overtaking with no sweat at all...and got back 5,6l according to the trip comp->beyond happy!

Considering every single time i went over 100kph i went also 6th gear, i dont get it how could one achieve 4.4l stated for highway???

Is this like 70kph in 6th down the hill highway or what?? :lol: :lol:

@babis_xo

I got used to brakes, but parking is killing me, yeah, i'm admitting that out loud :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
If you live and work in Athena like your signature says then 1.4 is by my opinion best option.
Having 2.0 for urban traffic is total overkill...no room for stretching its legs properly  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Don't you mean stretching its legs... :-[  :lol:

Your economy should improve a bit after a few 1000kms .. Although the Diesel climbs hills beautifully undulating roads do take a toll on the economy.. Over her in OZ the best economy close to or better than advertised is achieved in places like South Australia which is mainly very flat...

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Having 2.0 for urban traffic is total overkill

Yep, no less than 9,5 lt/100km in Athens
I don't dare to even imagine the cons. of the 2.0
Still, no diesel allowed :evil:

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

undulating roads do take a toll on the economy..

How comes that with a diesel? Supposing that with speeds above 50km/h you can drive all the way with 4-5th gear, even on twisted roads. Maybe, a rally driv...  :idea: Aha!... 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

undulating roads do take a toll on the economy..

How comes that with a diesel? Supposing that with speeds above 50km/h you can drive all the way with 4-5th gear, even on twisted roads. Maybe, a rally driv...  :idea: Aha!... 

The diesel climbs hills effortlessly but you can watch the average LPH go up as soon as she does as the increased power which is on tap needs to be fed more fuel to do the task... :cool:

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

I suppose you mean a normal toll on the consumption, as with any other car?

Xamaxy
Little update:

Today i tried specified 4,4l for highway and got 4,5l for 85-90kph in 6th gear.
Ofc thats waaaay to slow for normal highway driving so its a pure SF figure :lol:.
95-100kph showed me 4.7-4.8l so its still nice.

Next gonna try 130kph, and 160kph.

I've done 1150km so far (slow driving, push here and there 1-2 seconds for overtaking), is it to early for a constant of 160kph on 55km highway?

@Dazzler

Totally correct your statement about LPH going instantly up when on even small "hill". Foot remain the same but trip computer goes immidiately for 0.1-0.2 rise, and in few seconds returns after leveling.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I had to convert my figures from MPG here.

I find it's easy to get 4.4lpk at around 100km/h average speed on the flat, but I'm using the 1.6 with the lighter-weight gearbox.

At the weekend on a clear run on the M5/M6 motorway with a bit of (non-dangerous) drafting I got down as low as 3.5 on a run (150 miles - 5 sets of roadworks).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Great Effort Lorian.... :)

Xamaxy
@Lorian

As we know 1.6 is faaaaaaar better engine then 2.0  :-[

I've done 1150km so far is it too early for a constant of 160kph on 55km highway?

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

I've done 1150km so far is it too early for a constant of 160kph on 55km highway?

Although modern engines are already tested and ready-to-run from the factory, even the manufacturer himself cannot ensure the perfection of every single engine produced, so, a run-in for the first 1.000-1.500km on the car, ensures optimal running.

That is, in the right order:
1. (in a 50km long road with light or no traffic) persistently accelerate to 50% of max rpm, for 10-15sec max (so the engine won't overheat), using every gear from 2nd and above. Important: whenever acceleration completes, (with gear in) let the engine to decelerate the car for at least 15-20sec (this way, sub-pressure weeds out any scraps from cylinders). After this procedure, you may want to change oil and filter (if you don't, that's ok)
2. for the first 1.000-1.500km, don't exceed the 50% of max rpm (rpm limiter)

As soon as the run-in completes, you MUST change oils and filter. Then you can do -almost- anything you want but you shouldn't expect the engine to give its best untill it reaches several thousand kms.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr

Although modern engines are already tested and ready-to-run from the factory, even the manufacturer himself cannot ensure the perfection of every single engine produced, so, a run-in for the first 1.000-1.500km on the car, ensures optimal running.

1. (in a 50km long road with light or no traffic) persistently accelerate to 50% of max rpm, for 10-15sec max (so the engine won't overheat), using every gear from 2nd and above. Important: whenever acceleration completes, (with gear in) let the engine to decelerate the car for at least 15-20sec (this way, sub-pressure weeds out any scraps from cylinders). After this procedure, you may want to change oil and filter (if you don't, that's ok)

As soon as the run-in completes, you MUST change oils and filter. Then you can do -almost- anything you want but you shouldn't expect the engine to give its best untill it reaches several thousand kms.

Unfortunately no one almost changes oil at 1.000-2.000 kms' over here (probably also not in Croatia) - including me. I didn't even know that in some countries they do that. If you ask it at the service, they almost "make fun of you" because you want to change the oil in the brand new car. Well, maybe not all services are like that, just the ones I've been at. So I changed mine at around 7 or 8.000 km's, but people mostly change it at 15.000 or 20.000 kms.

Xamaxy, I think you could drive constant 160 km/h already, but it would be maybe good for your engine, if you would go back to 130 km/h every once in a while till you hit the 2.000 km's.. At least that's what I've been doing. I do know how hard it is to drive 90-100 km/h, when everyone is passing you with speed above 140, 150, 160 :)

Oh and yes..I'm not that close to Croatia, I'm closer to Austria and Italy (Bled), but I usually go through Croatia 2-3 times per year or sometimes I also stop in HR, when I'm going to the sea, of course :D So one day maybe I'll stop to check the i30.   :wink:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

The new oil filter and ultrasonic oil level detection in the U2 was design to cope with changes evey 2 years/20,000 miles. The 12,500 miles in the service books seems pretty conservative in comparison.

Offline hipposniper

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Devon

• ex-Heidi..North Devon.UK

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Unfortunately no one almost changes oil at 1.000-2.000 kms' over here (probably also not in Croatia) - including me. I didn't even know that in some countries they do that. If you ask it at the service, they almost "make fun of you" because you want to change the oil in the brand new car. Well, maybe not all services are like that, just the ones I've been at. So I changed mine at around 7 or 8.000 km's, but people mostly change it at 15.000 or 20.000 kms.

Changing oil & filter is necessary in case you choose to follow the -intensive- step No1 for run-in. Otherways, just follow the bookservice :)

Not so many years before, the service of 1000km was on the bookservice of almost every new car sold here and it was free of charge. I believe this was one reason for them to look over that first service...
Yes, now everyone claims that there is no need of changing oil at 1500km but they don't deny you if you insist a bit (with a charge of course -except toyota, good for them). Another reason, is marketing, which relies on the fact that most people shall keep a car for 5-7yrs max. Few people shall keep their car over 10 yrs and fewer (barely none) are going to find that their car "broke down" because they they didn't took care of that 1000kms service . And if they do, probably they won't be able to prove it. It's an old car after all...
Anyway, as long as you drive normally and replenish the oil, i'm sure that a new car won't break down even if you don't change oils for 100.000kms (but i don't bet for it, thus don't try it at home :mrgreen:)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

.... (but i don't bet for it, thus don't try it at home :mrgreen:)

:lol: I like your sense of humour M8  :D

Xamaxy
5000km reached :mrgreen:
Running like a charm, will have to leave it alone more often because otherwise i'll get to 100k within 2 years and thats a huge NO NO! :D

One question, is this engine SOHC or DOHC?
Whats the difference between SOHC 16valve and DOHC 16valve?
Isnt a greater stress on belt with 16 valves and SOHC?

I ask that because all reviews i have seen said that it is upgraded older CRDi engine with dual camshaft and variable geometry turbine, and from looks of it comments are that it is a single camshaft....

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal