i30 Owners Club

wiper needs new refill

Offline seaRoadAir

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
 :question:
The auto shop here in Sydney recommends me to buy a pair of Tridon metal rail refill, after I told them the model and year of i30.

The length of the two refills are longer than the actual is understandable. But to my surprise the width of the longer refill is 6.5mm and for the shorter one (passenger side) is 7.5mm. I thought the width should be the same.

The Tridon also sell other versions of rubber/silicone refills in a pair (for the windscreen in front). But those refills have same widths.  This adds confusion to me as a first time DIYer.
  • i30 SX

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Hi, recently replaced wiper inserts for my i30 GD with Tridon inserts. Not as easy as it used to be with older cars I've owned.

Anyway they started chattering after about a months & after annoying me for a while, ended up getting a replacement front pair from :link: Wiper Blades - High Performance AeroFlex by Wipertech
$69 but they currently have a Fri 13th sale on this week - Code: "LUCKY13" for a $13 discount & free express shipping.
Very happy with them - not that I can do much driving here in Sydney home detention!!
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
:question:
The auto shop here in Sydney recommends me to buy a pair of Tridon metal rail refill, after I told them the model and year of i30.

The length of the two refills are longer than the actual is understandable. But to my surprise the width of the longer refill is 6.5mm and for the shorter one (passenger side) is 7.5mm. I thought the width should be the same.

The Tridon also sell other versions of rubber/silicone refills in a pair (for the windscreen in front). But those refills have same widths.  This adds confusion to me as a first time DIYer.

Take your vehicle to your local auto store - Supercheap,  Autobarn Repco etc and they'll sort you out cheaper than the dealer 99% of the time. You can pay extra to have them fit it. Refills can vary - some are a specific fit and will be 'to length' without cutting, others are universal and must be cut to length which is why they are the same length.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
A few years ago I found that no matter how many times I replaced the wiper blade (usually I used Silicone ones from Big W) they were not wiping well and left a patch in the middle of the blade that was being smeared rather than wiped.

I eventually found out that the wiper arm must have warped slightly. I just ended replacing with old fashioned ones from Repco like these (https://www.repco.com.au/en/parts-service/wiper-components/wiper-blades/repco-conventional-wiper-blade-500mm-20-inch-rcb20s/p/A9684276?kwSearch=wiper%20blade). Beware I've just put these as example, I haven't bothered to check which length apply for your i30

Use your automotive association card for a further discount if applicable.

Avoid Tridon. I too found they started chattering within 3 weeks or so.

Wipertech lasted about a year but then were not wiping clear.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal