i30 Owners Club

MOT failure

Offline I30newowner

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Scotland
Good evening everyone.
I need help with establishing this MOT failure(if I can post 2 pics?)
The first is my failure, and the 2nd is what Hyundai think the faikure corresponds to, but I'm not so sure?

The latter appears to be the highlighted in purple (the carrier and the rear strut top?)

I have consulted 2 Facebook groups, 1 of which a guy was quite helpful, and another I was met with a snidey reply and nothing was constructive from him at all)

Thankyou for taking the time to read this

Edit: I'm quite confident I can replace the front suspension arms myself in the driveway, it's the rear swivelmpuns I got confused with
  • 2012, GD hatch 1.4 petrol, 13,500 miles, steel grey (ZAR)

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
The place I usually take my car for an MoT would invite me to get underneath the car and they'd show me where any defective bushes were. If you take a big screwdriver or crowbar and try levering on the various joints it should show up any excess play. You might have to back the car up onto some ramps to lift it high enough to get underneath. I'm a bit confused about what car you have. I think you said it was a 2012 FD variant, but the image of the rear suspension you posted is of the GD variant. 2012 is the year the GD was launched so it could be either. Did you search using your VIN number?
  • i30 CRD

Offline I30newowner

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Scotland
Hi, Thank You for your reply.
I was under the impression it was an FD, but after looking at wiki it appears i do have the GD?(from the shape of the DRL's in the front bumper)

I'm going to back it up on some ramps next week now that I have more free time as the kids are back to school.
But yeah, its was a third party who took it to an MOT station that he uses(just prior to me getting the car) so i will be putting it in for another MOT myself once I get temp insurance as that was more than 2 weeks ago).
I was just bemused a little with it saying swivel pins etc, as I've not seen that on a failure before, and I've never came across a car with  these either.
Again, Thank You for your reply.
  • 2012, GD hatch 1.4 petrol, 13,500 miles, steel grey (ZAR)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal