i30 Owners Club

LED lighting mod

Offline dxer2_2000

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Numeralla NSW

• 2012 i30 hatch auto 1.6L diesel CRDi White
Hi Guys - As we probably all know, the headlights on the i30 are too poor for country road driving. So today, I had a set of bar LED driving lights installed. I wanted a mod that involved little bodywork modification & looked somewhat discreet. I didn't want to go down the path of a nudge bar & those big round type driving lights. That would have added much more to the overall cost. As it was it cost me nearly $500 but at least it was done by a licenced auto electrician.

I've yet to try it out (will do tonight) but hopefully it will enable me to see kangroos better & suffer less eye strain.

dxer2_2000
  • 2012 i30 Diesel hatch

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Neat install. How is it mounted?
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline dxer2_2000

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Numeralla NSW

bolted to the metal frame behind the front plastic bumper so its solid. bolts Hidden behind the number plate.
  • 2012 i30 Diesel hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I like it, look forward to feedback on the difference in the lighting..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Sadly, this type of light will not improve your long distance vision, however, the width of lighting will improve so you can see into the edges of the road better.

If you consider a true spotlight, there is an element and a huge focused reflector to point the light out in front and depending on type fitted, even some convergence to maximize the intensity at great distance. The Led bar design can not come close to achieving the same result. :Pout:

The wire feeding the Led's has to be hidden behind the grille, it would annoy me the way it is.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
bolted to the metal frame behind the front plastic bumper so its solid. bolts Hidden behind the number plate.
I was hoping that was the case. Good job.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Sadly, this type of light will not improve your long distance vision, however, the width of lighting will improve so you can see into the edges of the road better.
The wire feeding the Led's has to be hidden behind the grille, it would annoy me the way it is.
:whsaid:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I wouldn't want that cable showing either, was it not possible to install in the lower grill? even if one of the lower grill vertical connectors had to be removed it would have looked nicer imo.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

If you consider a true spotlight, there is an element and a huge focused reflector to point the light out in front and depending on type fitted, even some convergence to maximize the intensity at great distance. The Led bar design can not come close to achieving the same result. :Pout:

I'm with you Phil,having driven behind,globed spots,HID spots and a Light Bar(far larger than the one shown)like you say it will give Excellent light,short distance,slightly further than the standard headlights and to the sides,the light bars are excellent for that,I've actually thought of using a combination of the lights I have now and a small light bar like this one.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I wouldn't want that cable showing either, was it not possible to install in the lower grill? even if one of the lower grill vertical connectors had to be removed it would have looked nicer imo.

Problem with that option Craig is a light bar works better at height(but not to high)
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Problem with that option Craig is a light bar works better at height(but not to high)
Understood "Thanks"

So if the light bars don't throw much forward light but more spaced out wouldn't that be the same as the fog's?

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Understood "Thanks"

So if the light bars don't throw much forward light but more spaced out wouldn't that be the same as the fog's?

They are a far brighter light than Fog's and your headlights,as I said to Phil they do throw distance,but not a great deal further than you standard headlights,on Bruce I have a set of HID Narva Extreme's,I get good clear light for about 600 mtrs,then another 500 mtrs like my normal headlights,where as the light bars I have had the pleasure of driving behind,give excellent good clear light,in front to about 400-450 mtrs and throw sideways as well far better than a spotlight,they are great lights,if you go down that track just don't expect the same distance preformance as  HID spotlight

I can understand why dxer2-2000 has gone this way he didn't want all the intrusive looking garb like I have on my two,as 80-90 % of my driving is done in darkness I like the road lit up for quite some distance

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
What I cannot understand are the constant references to poor lighting on the i30.

My headlights, whether dipped or main beam, are as good as any I have had on the many cars I have owned and quite adequate for the job.

Whether the OP's light bar  (many aftermarket DRLs have the same styling) will do what is needed seems debatable but with no reflector, the light output must be poor with little forward throw and certainly not as good as the main beams. 

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
What I cannot understand are the constant references to poor lighting on the i30.

My headlights, whether dipped or main beam, are as good as any I have had on the many cars I have owned and quite adequate for the job.
I concur; I feel the i30 has adequate lights but I think maybe it all depends on your point of reference. Aus may have a few more wide open territories with the need to see all over the road for all kinds of critters - we have that problem with Kudu in South Africa and which is why most people don't drive out into the Karoo area after dark at all.

For all we know the average Australian car can see halfway across the continent  :P
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
For all we know the average Australian car can see halfway across the continent  :P
One of my uncles has a Ford Ranch wagon with an aircraft landing light stuck to the front of it and if you are anywhere in front of him on the open road you'll have your eyes burnt out in the revision mirror reflection  :D

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
One of my uncles has a Ford Ranch wagon with an aircraft landing light stuck to the front of it and if you are anywhere in front of him on the open road you'll have your eyes burnt out in the revision mirror reflection  :D
I rest my case :rofl: on the bright (heh) side, that sure is one nifty way to catch a tan!
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yes you definitely need 30+ sunscreen, I've been 500 metres in front of him before when he's stuffing around and that light shines the way for Km's in front of me :Shocked:

Offline dxer2_2000

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Numeralla NSW

well, despite the pfffffooooy from some responders  :disapp:, the LED bar works great & is a big improvement over the i30's main HID headlights. The light in a more natural white (unlike the orangey HIDs) & gives a even spread of light. I suffered eye strain under the HIDs. I like the better lighting spread on the sides of the road. The HIDs were too narrowly focused.

Road signs don't light up too excessively. The mod was well worth it INMHO. The brand BTW is "Great Whites" - a good quality brand with sturdy build.
  • 2012 i30 Diesel hatch

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
In WA legislation is currently being written to provide strict guidelines on these light bars so I'll wait until the results are out.
The installation looks really neat but i do agree with others about the visible cabling.
Nice job though & well done.   :goodjob:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
It looks as if that cable can be run below rather than above the bar. It wouldn't be noticed against black. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Yes used to have some years ago,highly illegal now a days

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
well, despite the pfffffooooy from some responders  :disapp:, the LED bar works great & is a big improvement over the i30's main HID headlights. The light in a more natural white (unlike the orangey HIDs) & gives a even spread of light. I suffered eye strain under the HIDs. I like the better lighting spread on the sides of the road. The HIDs were too narrowly focused.

Road signs don't light up too excessively. The mod was well worth it INMHO. The brand BTW is "Great Whites" - a good quality brand with sturdy build.
Exactly what I have been saying,if you re read carefully

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Yes used to have some years ago,highly illegal now a days
They were always illegal as far as I knew but being registered in street car clubs allows you to pretty much do any modifications you like and get away with it, the cops also don't have a clue about yank cars so a little white lie about it being part of the "factory Ranch Pack" is all they need to hear  :D

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
well, despite the pfffffooooy from some responders  :disapp:, the LED bar works great & is a big improvement over the i30's main HID headlights.

It's the laws of physics.  :rolleyes: The LED bar has no reflector and can only scatter light and, presumably, the output will be considerably less than a  55watt main beam focused by a reflector.

How about a photo, taken at night, showing the performance just to silence us pffffffooooy responders?  :wink:

However, if it is what you want and does the job to your satisfaction that's fine.   :goodjob2:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If you want to understand how powerful focussed reflection can be, some guy presented a webinar on it here...
Unlocking the Mysteries of Radar
 :whistler:

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
If you want to understand how powerful focussed reflection can be, some guy presented a webinar on it here...

It goes back much further than that....... :rolleyes:

:link: Burning glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Ah yes but the Wikipedia article doesn't come with pictures of an i30. :D

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

But neither did the  'Unlocking radar' link to which it was referring..

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

But neither did the  'Unlocking radar' link to which it was referring..
The link leads to an archived Adobe Connect presentation I gave live two weeks ago. It indeed has photos of i30's light cluster demonstrating the effectiveness of the reflector elements. :victory:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal