i30 Owners Club

Warranty problem with exhaust manifold

honey4444 · 29 · 10761

Offline honey4444

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
I have bought a number of new cars in my life (62y) and for the first time a manufacturer (Hyundai) has told me I have to pay for a "Warranty Assessment" for the exhaust manifold. I have been wondering if any other car makers also do this. I like my i30 wagon very much, but I am very disappointed with Hyundai Australia.
  • i30 trophy wagon auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
It would appear that Hy are not too sure if there is a warranty issue. Can you describe the type of problem you hare having with the car. Is your car diesel or petrol :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Honey  :-[ :wttc:

Sorry to hear that! Seems VERY odd!!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
 :welcum: to the forum,As Dazz said this seems to be an extremely strange request if it is a warranty issue,I've had both of ours now for almost three years, I have never been asked for and inspection fee for any warranty issue.

I'm wondering if they actually said,if it does not happen to be warranty issue,they will charge you an inspection fee,I have heard of certain dealerships trying this caper,but from my understanding if it is a exhaust issue,which you have not interfered with it is not only Warranty, it is a safety issue
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:45:21 by Rick-without the P »
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
 :welcome:

I'm guessing you're making a warranty claim (or suggesting that an exhaust fault should be covered by the warranty) ?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi honey4444

:wttc:

No. If it's a warranty case, then all inspection, fault finding, whatever they call it to find out what's wrong, is a part of the warranty.

If they spend time to find a fault and it's not covered by warranty, then of course you're the lucky one to pay for whatever work have been done.

If they continue to claim you must pay anything and they have acknowledged is as a warranty issue, then contact HY HQ in Australia
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Is your car diesel or petrol :question:

Hmm, it's posted in the "petrol" section...  :snigger:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :-[ :faint:

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Having had more warranty claims than most Members :'( an assessment charge was never mentioned :)
However, Hyundai UK Customer Services stated that since charges to investigate an unrectified Engine Management problem had been colossal, using an alternative diagnosing dealer "would be difficult to persuade and also justify". The alternative Service Manager "may" investigate - as a favour.
I declined the kind offer and pursued my own investigation, insisting the original dealer finally rectified the problem.
Using my investigations and guidance, the warranty work, at no cost, was completed within 2 years :whistler:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

:rofl: I'm glad you pointed it out,I wasn't going to.Phil lives to close to me.  :rofl:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Am I the only one who doesn't know what section he's in most of the time  :question:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

:rofl: I'm glad you pointed it out,I wasn't going to.Phil lives to close to me.  :rofl:

I would be surprised if he showed up here at my front door...  :snigger: :snigger:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Too cold  :snow:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Am I the only one who doesn't know what section he's in most of the time  :question:

Nope  :MeToo: (I know I should but seldom check the section unless posting from scratch, of course)  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :) I feel better now  :exclaim:

Offline honey4444

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
My car is petrol and is 2010 i30 trophy auto wagon model. Hyundai Aust told me about the "Warranty Assessment" that I would have to pay for, not the dealer. The dealer was not all interested like most dealers.
  • i30 trophy wagon auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Can you describe your car's exhaust problem that makes you think there is something wrong.

Offline honey4444

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Can you describe your car's exhaust problem that makes you think there is something wrong.
The problem is rust. The exhaust manifold is in front of the motor with a cover over it, but I can see bits of it each end, across the top and in the middle. The cover is necessary because the manifold gets very hot. A little background, I am retired and the car spends nearly all its time in a garage.  I have checked underneath with a torch and the car seems to be rust free there. Also under the bonnet looks good.
I don't know how much a new manifold would cost. I will bet that the cost of a warranty inspection would be similar to the labour of replacing it. The dealers claim that it happens to all cars I don't believe it. Subaru manifolds don't rust. I have had 3 of then and others in the family currently have Subaru. I should go back to them next car.
  • i30 trophy wagon auto

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
A Rusty exhaust manifold is the norm for most cars.
They are usually made from cast iron which gets surface rusted due to intense heat and comparatively quick cooling in a relatively damp (normal) atmosphere. I'd be interested in knowing what Subaru make their exhausts from. Of course Inlet manifolds don't get anything like as hot so do not rust and can be made of non metal compounds which don't rust.
In my 42 years of car ownership (many makes and models) and many hundreds of thousands of miles in this delightful UK climate, I've never, ever, had a cast iron manifold fail...

This Subaru exhaust looks Rusty in the same way as all others.
04 07 Subaru WRX STI Exhaust Manifolds | eBay
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 20:19:02 by Keith »
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Keith is quite correct. Your Subaru car's exhaust manifolds are probably manufactured from the same material as the exhaust pipe itself, usually with a black coating on it. It looks prettier than straight cast iron, but it's a manufacturer's choice of material. It is also much lighter than cast iron, but I can not say whether it will outlast the cast iron manifold.

Unless you are extremely unlucky, you can expect to never have any issues with the existing cast iron manifold, so there's really no need to worry about it. Do go to a car yard and look at some different makes of second hand cars. You will see that all cast iron exhausts are rusted, quite normal. If you have a non greased cast iron cooking utensil, you will notice it also rusts quite easily when washed.

I'm not surprised at Hyundai's request for charges in this circumstance, as the manifold will be found to be faultless.

Here's another one, note the asking price, still of some value as you can see.

1970 Big Block Exhaust Manifolds 178 879 396 402 454 Chevelle Camaro Nova | eBay
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 20:34:12 by Phil №❶ »

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
They are usually made from cast iron which gets surface rusted due to intense heat and comparatively quick cooling in a relatively damp (normal) atmosphere. I'd be interested in knowing what Subaru make their exhausts from. Of course Inlet manifolds don't get anything like as hot so do not rust and can be made of non metal compounds which don't rust.
In my 42 years of car ownership (many makes and models) and many hundreds of thousands of miles in this delightful UK climate, I've never, ever, had a cast iron manifold fail...

I'm with Keith here.

A rusty exhaust manifold is normal on all cars, and have absolutely no effect on the engine whatsoever. I've in my 9 years as a Service Manager never seen an exhaust manifold where the rust made a hole in it, even on 20 y/o cars

Don't waste your time on this and accept that this is normal. I think that if you've never seen the rust on the Subaru, it must be because there's a bigger cover on it... :question:

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Absolutely. Put it behind you and go on enjoying the car.
I've had two Subarus, an Impreza and a Liberty. I've never noticed their exhauts manifolds to be any different to all the other cars I've driven on the road, rallied and raced over the years.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
if it looks like this, its normal, stop stressing.

or

BUT if it looks like this, you're in trouble, i highly doubt it looks like this, unless you have buried the car for 50+ years.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^--- buhahahaha :rofl:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
The problem is rust. The exhaust manifold is in front of the motor with a cover over it, but I can see bits of it each end, across the top and in the middle. The cover is necessary because the manifold gets very hot. A little background, I am retired and the car spends nearly all its time in a garage.  I have checked underneath with a torch and the car seems to be rust free there. Also under the bonnet looks good.
I don't know how much a new manifold would cost. I will bet that the cost of a warranty inspection would be similar to the labour of replacing it. The dealers claim that it happens to all cars I don't believe it. Subaru manifolds don't rust. I have had 3 of then and others in the family currently have Subaru. I should go back to them next car.

Hello Honey4444...   You've been given rock solid advice on this forum. 

However, if you really, REALLY, want you engine bay to be in pristine show condition you can spend a small fortune doing the following :-

How To Restore Exhaust Manifolds - Mustang Monthly

I personally would advise against such a reckless waste of money, but then again I am an old skinflint who's middle name is Ebeneezer..    My exhaust is now four years old and has been covered in a thin rust colour from new and it works perfectly. 

however, if you're just taking the Mick...  Well done, you had us all fooled   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Great explanation Keith,but unlike you,I have had three cast manifolds fail over the years.Oh! almost forgot to say,the last one was on a new Nissan Navara 4x4 huge crack in the manifold and Nissan refused to fix it,Ute was not even six months old
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 13:53:40 by Rick-without the P »

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Yea fair play Rick, sounds like stress fracturing though rather than rusting out.
I'd be gobsmacked if surface rust was the cause of the cracking.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
The car has a 5 year warranty but the exhaust will be less, not sure of period but this will be detailed in the service/handbook.

You have raised a concern within the exhaust warranty period and they have declined to inspect it under warranty for reason(s) which they have notified you of.

However, that request will have been logged.

So if the exhaust does fail within a reasonable time period after the expiry of the exhaust warranty period due to the concern you raised, i think you may have a good argument for them to repair/replace in accordance with the warranty t&c's.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal