i30 Owners Club

2009 1.4 bad drive

Guest · 15 · 5263

GLClassic
When starting to drive my i30 is sooooo sensitive, it leaves no room for errors. Too much gas, and the wheels spin; too little gas, the car stalls. When the gas is correct, I feel shocks. Especially in heavy traffic, when you stop and go all the time, this problem is not fun at all. It makes me carsick... I think it's a problem of the gas and clutch pedal, which give no feedback at all.

The car is a 1.4 petrol, I own it for 4,5 years now, and I am becoming tired of it...
Compared to my brothers hyundai coupe, his car has a smoother ride with more feedback.

Does anyone have the same problem? Is it possible to fix it?

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hmm, sounds like the clutch/release bearing isn't operating smooth enough.

If not enough grease on the "pipe" the bearing is operating on, that might give this notchy engagement of the clutch. It will be necessary to remove the gearbox...
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Sounds like it could be the release bearing on the first motion shaft.  I hope not as that could be quite pricey and if it were you may as well replace the pressure plate and clutch disk at the same time  <sigh>

The last time I had problems with stalling and over revving was when my 1.6 petrol edition was new and many peeps were having a slight problem adjusting to it.   

That all cleared up quickly tho...   you will find many references to it if you search  :goodjob:

GLClassic
I had this problim ever since the beginning I had this car. First I thought it was normal, because I came from a 1989 VW Scirocco automatic. I assumed I had to get used to driving a 'modern car'. But the problem persisted...

Also, since 2 years I hear some noise from the clutch pedal when I press it or release it. It sounds as a squicking spring or some kind.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Also, since 2 years I hear some noise from the clutch pedal when I press it or release it. It sounds as a squicking spring or some kind.

That support the theory of the missing grease for the bearing....
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

GLClassic
just found out that the squicking noise comes from the clutch operating system in the engine bay...

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
So the actuating pivot on the transmission housing may have dried out and be stiff / tight which would explain your poor experience with take up of drive. try releasing it a little with GT85 or WD40 or similar, if that helps then occasional lubrication with a white grease from a spray can might return your drive to the excellent standard it should be..
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Can't think why it would have been like that from new, though.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Well it's a rare oddball fault so maybe event the shaft is bent or burred...
Worth a try surely... ? :needspecscleaning:

GLClassic
thanks for the advices. I will try to re-lubricate it and see how it goes  :wink:

Offline masteranderson15

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester
Hi,  my clutch has similar issues to the one mentioned below ? Car novice here :-)  when it comes to DIY where would i find transmission housing on i30 1.4 ?
  • hyundai i30 1.4 petrol white edition

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
To be honest, unless you're experienced I would not interfere with the clutch at all. The reasons for this are

- The clutch mechanism is of the hydraulic type, which involves pistons, oil lines and corresponding cylinders at the other end. Any fiddling or treatment with the wrong product can destroy sensitive rubber components and cause total clutch failure.

The best solution is to go to a repair shop where they should be able to diagnose the fault and quote on a price for repair. I assume you are out of warranty, so you will have to bear the costs, if this is the situation.

Looking at the manual, there are quite a few things that cause your complaint, such as

- oily clutch plate
- broken torsion spring
- sticking or damaged thrust bearing
- worn clutch plate

You will not be able to fix any of the above from home.

Sorry I can't give you better news. :(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

GLClassic
I have solved the problem: I sold the i30 and bought me a Fiat 500S twinair  :P

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Good luck with that

Owners on the Fiat Forum are very divided!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good luck with that

Owners on the Fiat Forum are very divided!

:whistler: :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal