i30 Owners Club

"Diesel sound" on warm startup

pidim · 15 · 4499

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi everyone.  I was wondering if this is normal on a GD i30 1.8L petrol engine. 

Each morning I start the car from cold and everything starts normally... no issues

What I have noticed with the car (since new) is that if you start the car again around 20-30 mins after driving, it makes a "diesel rattle" sound for 1 second or so and seems to disappear when oil gets to all parts of the engine.

After 2 years, I've never questioned it because I also had a Toyota with a similar characteristic but lately it's got me thinking whether this can be fixed.

1) Is this symptom OK on a warm engine startup if oil may not have fully settled in the sump and does it happen to other owners here? 
2) Is this a fault of some kind - eg oil pump?
3) Or can it be improved with a better oil - eg 0wx40

Can anyone offer any advise as to what I should tell the Hyundai dealer in tech talk.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer   :)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
This is only a theory, but it would be most likely the result of oil completely draining from certain areas of the motor to the sump. As the oil pump is not operating till the engine is started, there has to be a period of low oil, until supply is resumed. Other manufacturers may design their engines to leave pools of oil, which cancels the initial start up noise.

I hear it in the Diesel too, so not really anything to worry about, as long as the oil pressure light extinguishes quickly at start up.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi Phil, thanks for your quick response.  Yes the light definitely extinguishes after a very short time.  Do you think this would be improved with better oil?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Hard to say, what are you running at the moment.

Most members are using 0-30 to 5-40. The 0 oil is designed to remain thin and viscous in winter conditions. This allows the oil to drain when the engine is off, so I don't think there will be any benefit by moving outside theses ranges.

Always use good brand oils, don't skimp on quality for price, the oil is the blood of your engine.

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Yeah I wish I knew what oil was used, but it was serviced at the Hyundai dealer, so I have no idea.  I'm also about to book my next service coming up in June.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Many members supply their own oil filter and oils. Get a quote from you dealer, then after the price is given, ask them for a price without oil filter and oil. It should be significantly cheaper. I buy oil on special and save $ this way.

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I've thought of doing that sometimes, but what's to stop the apprentice doing the job throwing in the boot of his car and giving me the standard oil?

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
The Getz did this at one point. Changed the oil, problem resolved. Never done it since. The replaced oil was supplied by a dealer at a scheduled service.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I've thought of doing that sometimes, but what's to stop the apprentice doing the job throwing in the boot of his car and giving me the standard oil?

They do return the empties, but unless you stand and watch, I guess they could do that. I don't think they would do that though because if caught, there would be hell to pay.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
It sounds to me like oil not getting to the top end as quickly as it should.
As suggested, I would replace the oil (& filter) with a quality oil of your choice that meets the specified criteria.
I use a non-Hyundai workshop so trust my mechanic that they use what I supply.
I'd try that and see how you go.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Just thought I would update this in case anyone is interested.  I have just completed my 2 year service and used Shell Helix Ultra 5w x 40.  I can say the problem has been fixed and not only that, it also rectified the "Wierd Noise on Startup" topic from cold starts.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid: Dave swears by that oil too...  Mind you he swears about AAMI, Qantas, Telstra and a lot of other stuff too...  :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

:lol:
As ABBA said, I do, I do, I do, I do, I do.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal