i30 Owners Club

Topping Up Coolant

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
Hi Everyone

As you will see I'm a new member, I live in the West Midlands (UK) and have just purchased an I30 Comfort 1.4 petrol in Steel Grey.

Some advice please....I have noticed my coolant level could do with topping up, as it's only just above the minimum mark and I've just purchased some genuine Hyundai anti-freeze (part no: E1220-99030) to top it up with.  Problem I have concerns about is the colour is blue and what is in the car is green, I have mentioned this to the dealer but have been assured it is the right one.  Any feedback appreciated.

Looks a great forum and I'll be looking forward to future posts.  

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hey StarSeeker.

Firstly, welcome to the forums :)

Next, most commercial antifreeze consists of pretty much the same ingredients, the colouring is usually a branding thing. Heck, the antifreeze in my MGZR was pink :eek: true enough :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome StarSeeker

If car bought from gargage (new or used) then they should top up at no expense to you as it should have been checked at PDI.

Anyway from experience once it is diluted it's all the same colour.

Just make sure it's the same speci as given the handbook

ps I've noticed my level drips and rises depending on whether I had the engine running or not.
Also, check that the cap is secure on the tank as a loose cap can cause coolant leak.
Check at cold, hot etc before you add otherwise you may overfill and get blow out.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome starseeker ..nice to have you "aboard" ..

Like eye said.. not something YOU should have to fix (they shouldn't charge you for the extra coolant- or should reimburse you!)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Thanks for your replies and your welcome to the forum.

When I collected the car the coolant level was about half way when cold, but the car only had about 8 miles on the clock and has probably settled to a true level now, I also know it can take a while to shift all the airlocks out of the system when newly filled.

Unfortunately the anti-freeze I purchased has hardly any information on the label at all and most of it is not in English, so whether it is Ethylene Glycol as it should be I’m unable to confirm.  Also, the reason I bought the bottle of anti-freeze was in case I needed it for any possible future top ups, I know the dealer would have done it for me, but the engine was still hot when I got there and I preferred to do it myself when I arrived home after the engine had cooled down.

Still a great car though and I'm fitting some mudflaps this weekend  :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
These sealed units seldom if ever need a top up between changes ....
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Not like my old Rover then  :lol:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Not like my old Rover then  :lol:

My son had a persistant leak on his Rover and could we find it - No.

Called into a small lock up and this gezzer, at least 90 if a day, said straight away without looking - it's the cap, seal f*cked - replaced cap and all OK.

Just to put in context. The car had been into a "main stream" garage and they hooked the cooling system up to some gizmo. Couldn't find a leak nor suggested cap. 

Just shows experience over machines.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
My coolent level dropped after the first 20 miles or so to just above the low level line.

But I made the mistake of topping it up to the max level when the engine was cold.

When I checked it later with the engine hot, it was about 1" above the max level. Did remove the excess while still hot. Now when cold the level is about 1" below max, and hot up to the max.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

My coolent level dropped after the first 20 miles or so to just above the low level line.

But I made the mistake of topping it up to the max level when the engine was cold.

When I checked it later with the engine hot, it was about 1" above the max level. Did remove the excess while still hot. Now when cold the level is about 1" below max, and hot up to the max.

Cannot see that being a problem Myowni30.  You are meant to fill it when it is cold as far as I’m aware and Hyundai would surely be allowing for the expansion and if I remember correctly, there is still plenty of space above the max level to allow for that anyway.

What water/anti-freeze did you top it up with  :question:

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
What water/anti-freeze did you top it up with  :question:

Just used tap water. No anti-freeze as the amount of water added was so small.

Have now done about 1400 miles and the level has stayed okay  :lol:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Hey StarSeeker.

Firstly, welcome to the forums :)

Next, most commercial antifreeze consists of pretty much the same ingredients, the colouring is usually a branding thing. Heck, the antifreeze in my MGZR was pink :eek: true enough :D

Welcome StarSeeker.

Be aware that although as Steve says MOST antifreeze consist of the same thing, some manufacturers colour code their anti-freeze solutions for different engine types.
The instruments in my lab all require coolant with anti-freeze and because they are Swiss made instruments the manufacturer recommends VW/Audi/Skoda antifreeze, which I buy at the local dealer.  I MUST however buy the pink one and not the blue one as the pink one is for aluminium blocks, whereas the blue is for steel.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Thank you all for your replies.  I might consider emailing Hyundai customer support for clarification on the colour and at worst I would probably get away with just topping it up with some De-Ionised water as a one off, it will probably only need about half a pint at the most and as my anti-freeze tester reading of the present coolant concentration is showing a nice strong mix, it should not be a problem.

Offline Merlot

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hunter Valley
The colour of the coolant is usually a manufacturer thing but in saying that you should never mix different colours or brands if you are worried about the level just top it up with water as nearly all coolants are diluted and by what amount depends on the climate you live in. I once put some green coolant into one of my Toyota buses [red coolant ] turned the whole lot to jelly so if you cant get back to the dealer WATER
regards
Merlot

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
For a small amount I use distilled water.  For a larger amount I would go back to the dealer and make it their problem, you do not want to mix different coolants, as other people have stated.

Offline IMCRZY

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong

• Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Most cars will sort out there own level i just top them up to the top and let the car do the rest.... it is an overflow bottle for a reason....

It will push out what it dont need.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

For a small amount I use distilled water.

Yes I have done this also, as it only worked out about a quarter of a pint.

One thing I should mention though, is since topping up I have done about 40 miles and the now weakened solution in the topping up tank has not yet mixed in with the rest of the cars coolant.  Before topping up my anti-freeze tester showed a protection of -31c and after 40 miles it is only showing a protection of -7c.

I would have assumed it would now be stronger than that, so I thought it is worth a mention, it may mix and get stronger after time, but I know others have also topped up in this way.

I am also confused why the radiator has a cap as well, is it to make it easier when a full re-fill is needed :question:

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
I am also confused why the radiator has a cap as well, is it to make it easier when a full re-fill is needed :question:

The tank you have filled is just an expansion tank. It may never mix with the main system or could take quite some time.

The system is basically a sealed system. The rad cap is just for a full fill up after the system has been drained.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
For a small amount I use distilled water.

Yes I have done this also, as it only worked out about a quarter of a pint.

One thing I should mention though, is since topping up I have done about 40 miles and the now weakened solution in the topping up tank has not yet mixed in with the rest of the cars coolant.  Before topping up my anti-freeze tester showed a protection of -31c and after 40 miles it is only showing a protection of -7c.

I would have assumed it would now be stronger than that, so I thought it is worth a mention, it may mix and get stronger after time, but I know others have also topped up in this way.

Gee that changed the freezing point quite a bit.  Could be an issue in cold weather if it freezes and splits the expansion tank!

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Yeh I agree LuciferDarklord :eek:.  With my old car you topped up in an expansion tank which had a pressurised cap and where you top up on my Hyundai i30, the cap is not pressurised, which makes me think it may never mix until the radiator level drops. I will probably have no choice but to mix the green and blue Hyundai anti-freeze together, the garage said it is what they use.

I have one of theses anti-freeze testers below and would recommend to anyone who has topped up with just water to check the concentration, to be on the safe side.

http://www.premiertools.co.uk/products/Antifreeze_Tester_Ethylene_Glycol_JS106.htm

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Reference to my earlier posts I can now confirm that my anti-freeze is now starting to mix into my top up tank and the protection level has now gone up from -7c to -15c.  As Myowni30 says, it may mix but could take quite some time.

Hope this Helps.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal