i30 Owners Club

Cold Starting Issues

Blue30 · 8 · 3369

Offline Blue30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
Hi All,

Firstly, what a great forum, very professional, helpful and easy to use and understand. I have a i30 SR Manual that's just turned 2 and Here in Australia they have just recently discontinued regular unleaded 91 fuel. So instead of using E10 i have upgraded to using Unleaded 95. Since i have started doing this about 6 months ago now, the car seems to start very slow and doesn't rev up much past 1 or so when cold like it used too. I don't know if its just an age and distance thing that happens over time or if something is wrong. I have read in the i30 manual that it recommends not using fuel with special stuff in it that enhances performance as it can cause hard starting and vapour lock, could this have anything to do with it also?

Thanks

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Mitch, not sure where you are but at least some States still have ULP91 available for some time yet. And in Qld for instance, BP has dropped it but Shell and Caltex still have it.
Anyway, define slow starting. Do you mean it turns over more slowly, or it turns over normally but takes longer to fire?
And on the revs after start up, there's been discussion on here (initiated by me because I was concerned at the high revs my car used after firing up). I was always taught NOT to rev the car on startup until the oil had a chance to circulate properly.
So Id be happy if mine was only pulling 1000rpm at start up. However, the fact that yours has changed is worth investigating. I don't suppose you've had a service during that time where they might have altered something?
And others might have more to contribute but I don't think the comment about using fuel with additives is intended to mean 95 or 98 octane stuff.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sounds a bit strange.. I have much more experience with the CRDi than the Petrol.. Wife's CW has only done about 570 kms.. But I'd be talking to the Dealer.. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Get it back to the dealer to have a look..

Doesn't sound right to me.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Blue30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
I am in Sydney and have always gone to the same Shell station. I have looked around at the other shell around my area and they are all the same. No more regular unleaded. I am very particular when it comes to looking after my i30. I know premium would be alot better to constantly use but is causing this problem.
By slow starting i mean it seems to turn over just fine and pretty much straight away, i guess its hard to explain. The best way i can explain it is that it just doesn't rev up like a normal car and better yet like it used to, it used to start strong and rev up to just under 2 which is what most normal cars do. When the engine is warmish it starts fine and revs up to just under 2, its only first thing in the morning or after its been off for a while.
The dealer told me that they don't know what is wrong because nothing showed up on the diagnostic when i got it serviced about 4 months ago. Maybe it's just all in my head, it just seems to be coincidence that i have changed fuel.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline Blue30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales

Pip
Just turned 2 and the problem started 6 months ago? I'd dismiss the fuel as the culprit and as others have suggested it's most likely something else... like did it have an intermediate service at 18 months maybe?

If it got new oil about then, then Lorian's suggestion is worth pursuing. Along with the lower initial revs provided by the ECU at start, is it also a bit sluggish for a while after starting cold? It's probably to subtle to notice any sluggishness as you are no doubt taking it easy till it warms. Other symptoms of too thick oil might be tappet "tick" for a while after starting.

I dunno what oil is correct for your engine but the service book will say and I'd also suggest you determine what it should be and then compare with what was put in. Of course if no oil was changed then... it's something else still but unlikely fuel.

BTW, I'd avoid e10 and use the 95 RON as you already decided... just confirming you got that right.  :cool:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal