Replacing headlight bulbs revisited I & II

Lorian · 152 · 101571

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
  :-[ I was going to go downstairs and check out these holes until I remembered I haven't got mine any more  :rofl:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
 :-[ I was going to go downstairs and check out these holes until I remembered I haven't got mine any more  :rofl:

Could have been worse. You could have gone down and pulled the headlights out of the Camry. :rolleyes:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Well, I took the plunge and decided to order a set of H1 & H7 Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs off eBay.

Fingers crossed they arrive safely and I don't have too much trouble installing them. I'll keep you all posted.... :cool:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Fortunately Trish seldom drives at night (poor night vision) as the CW lights as as bad as the CRDi ones were.. (average at best)

I usually take her any where she wants to go at night and the Hybrids lights are a lot better .. :goodjob:

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Well, I have now changed my H7 bulbs twice and the H1's once and I still cannot get the brightness I am looking for. They are bog standard 55w bulbs but I have seen on Fleebay some 100w off road bulbs, which are obviously much brighter.

Possibly a silly question here but is it ok to put these 100w bulbs in or will they start blowing fuses elsewhere?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I forget what fuse is in there, but I wouldn't be chancing my wiring with 100w bulbs. They are not legal either. Assuming the problem you have is with dipped beam a small tweak upwards (within the legal limit of course) is what you seek.

Before the nightbreakers and a small tweek upwards I was not at all happy. With these two changes my lights are pretty good.

Offline paul_h

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Derbyshire
Just thought I would put my experience re replacing a headlamp bulb in my Hyundai i30 Diesel (2009/10)
It is not practical to change the nearside headlamp bulb on my vehicle without resorting to headlamp cluster removal.  After seeking advice from my local dealer (remove the bumper I was told at one point) I decided to follow advice found on this site.  I tried removing the headlamp before going to dealer for advice but found that after removing the three securing bolts the assembly would not come away freely.
This is how I tackled the job.
1) Disconnect battery (+ve first) undo single securing screw lift battery from car.  The only downside to removing battery is that you have to re-set your presets on the radio.  This took me as long as changing the bulb.
2) Disconnect two power cables from rear of headlamp.  These are held in place with usual clip arrangement.
3) Remove three headlamp securing screws.
4) With battery removed you can get hold of the headlamp, making it easier to Manoeuvre out of rear securing clip and out of positioning point in wing.
5) With cluster out it is straight forward to unscrew cap, pull of electrical plug, un-clip retainer and change bulb.  Replace clip, plug and cap.
6) Position cluster to line up with rear clip and Manoeuvre in to place.  A little careful manipulation and it pops in place.
7) Replace connectors to rear and secure in place with the three securing screws.
8) Replace battery (-ve first) - set presets on radio.

Offline Ozbrum

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah, WA
I forget what fuse is in there, but I wouldn't be chancing my wiring with 100w bulbs. They are not legal either. Assuming the problem you have is with dipped beam a small tweak upwards (within the legal limit of course) is what you seek.

Before the nightbreakers and a small tweek upwards I was not at all happy. With these two changes my lights are pretty good.

My problem was with the dipped/high beam distance cover which were really awful but after following the tips for adjustment tweeks ..... I'm completely happy with them now ... admittingly on my first attempt I did cause a few oncoming cars a little vision problem  :-[ for a short while but I soon fixed that and my headlights are as good now as any car I've driven.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Well, I have now changed my H7 bulbs twice and the H1's once and I still cannot get the brightness I am looking for. They are bog standard 55w bulbs but I have seen on Fleebay some 100w off road bulbs, which are obviously much brighter.

Possibly a silly question here but is it ok to put these 100w bulbs in or will they start blowing fuses elsewhere?

I did this with my Holden Barina (Suzuki Swift). Originally I did the right thing and used a relay but for whatever reason this wasn't successful and I ended up putting 100/80w H4 Globes straight in (minus the relay) and never had a moments trouble.  :D

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Just thought I would put my experience re replacing a headlamp bulb in my Hyundai i30 Diesel (2009/10)
It is not practical to change the nearside headlamp bulb on my vehicle without resorting to headlamp cluster removal.  After seeking advice from my local dealer (remove the bumper I was told at one point) I decided to follow advice found on this site.  I tried removing the headlamp before going to dealer for advice but found that after removing the three securing bolts the assembly would not come away freely.
This is how I tackled the job.
1) Disconnect battery (+ve first) undo single securing screw lift battery from car.  The only downside to removing battery is that you have to re-set your presets on the radio.
8) Replace battery (-ve first) - set presets on radio.

Think you should also reset the steering  :eek:  :sweating:

Offline paul_h

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Derbyshire

Offline paul_h

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Derbyshire

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Reset Steering?
More info please!

Need to recalibrate the torque sensor when the battery has been removed (also resets the EPS indicator).

Turn power on. Steer 3/4 left then 3/4 right then turn the power off and back on.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome Paul..

Thanks for going to the trouble of taking and narrating photos (Pix 5 is missing) but can you please read the post by Bumpkin about avoiding attachments and using a link to a photo hosting site (in the Welcome tread) Cheers.. Dazz

P.S. Saves some bandwidth and avoids risk of loss in event of a "hiccup" on the site..

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Well, I took the plunge and decided to order a set of H1 & H7 Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs off eBay.

Fingers crossed they arrive safely and I don't have too much trouble installing them. I'll keep you all posted.... :cool:

Well, my globes turned up from the UK last week and today I decided to have a go at fitting them.....

All I can say is I don't know what people have been worried about, I had the drivers side cluster out, both H1 & H7 globes installed and then back in the car in about 12 minutes.....
The passenger side was done even quicker.... :goodjob:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I think its a bit more of a squeeze if you have the black headlights.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think its a bit more of a squeeze if you have the black headlights.

Although Russ can be a bit "heavy handed" that probably helps... :whistler:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Are you trying to confuse me, Lorian? How does colour make it harder to remove?  :eek:

And you just get back in your box, Daz. :P

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Actually...didn't have to get heavy handed at all. Once the bolts were out, the cluster was loose, no violence required at all...... :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If you grab the body of the light with one hand and the lens part with the other and give them a firm twist up at the front they slip up and out over the front bumper..Easy Peasy  :D (the secret is not to be too gentle)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Yep, as you say, easy peasy..... :goodjob:
Actually, I might have to go get a thick shake from Maccas, just to make sure the lights are workin'...... :winker:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
let us know how good or bad they are Russ.  :goodjob:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Back again....
Bit hard to tell as there is still a fair amount of traffic on the roads.... ???
Thick shake was nice, but.... :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sounded like a good idea.. I like them but probably wouldn't like me at this time of the night  :'(

and about 16km return drive  from here.. at 11 pm (don't think so .. too comfy)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal