i30 Owners Club

How to add DRLs to the Australian version of the 2012 model Hyundai i30?

Offline csirac2

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hate it when you are right rustynutz  :P

I checked the road traffic act of W.A. and the simplified driver guide book too. They removed it, I am certain it used to be there many years ago. My aussie licence was issued in '92 and it was one of the questions in the theory exam I had to take.

For what it's worth, I was with my dad in the car one day around 2002 (in Queensland), police pulled us over for driving with parking lights. It was approaching dusk. He appreciated that we had our lights on at all (most vehicles hadn't yet), but insisted that parking lights give drivers a false sense of visibility, his assertion was that they weren't useful on the road. He made a well-reasoned argument and we both now use parking lights only when parked/parking.

I remember this clearly because, it's the only time a young condescending policemen gave my dad driving advice which didn't result in a lecture about over-allocation of police resources to the nation's roads instead of "real crime"... :)
  • Falcon, i30

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I was at the Sydney motor show the weekend just gone, and I saw the new 'SR' i30 thats coming out. I know the boys at concord customs here in Sydney who set to turning an ordinary i30 elite into the 'SR' concept car that was on display.

Next time I'm down that way, I'm going to stop in and see how they got the DRL's on that i30 to glow so bright, compared to mine..

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

I'm suspecting the Ebay source of these DRLs is not as good as the factory originals.

For what its worth, the items are 100% OEM parts. From the very same factory as the i30s with factory fitted DRL's

How does someone make sure this is the case either from ebay seller or once they have the goods in hand? Is it simply a matter of trust or are they stamped in some way which verifies this is the case?
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The only way to guarantee brightness is to buy the original lights from Hyundai. Regardless of what the ebay ad states, they can't be the same item. AFAIK, the originals are integrated into the light itself, stick on ones are obviously not the same item and probably have a lower output led. If you're disappointed with them, pay with Paypal and get your money back as misrepresented product.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
I did notice a few markings that indicated that it was an OEM part - GD was moulded into the rear casing.

They aren't stick on LEDs, they are integrated into the assembly & the assembly is a straight swap from the originals. I couldn't see any manufacturer tooling up to make a few after market units just in the hope of selling a few on eBay
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

EBay eh,

sorry, I'm still sceptical. I purchased "Genuine OEM" Kingston USB's all nicely printed, even with hologram Kingston on the back, but sadly they were fakes. I notified Kingston with photos to help them catch the perps. "GD" on the back wouldn't convince me I'm afraid. Is there a part number too.?  :fum:

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
they had holographic Hyundai stickers on it. the box was labelled with KIA and Hyundai all over it. It is an ebay store for factory items.

I also had some communication with the factory trying to source some other parts, Their service was good and I am 100% satisfied these are the exact same item that would be fitted to one out of the factory. The build quality is identical to the originals, down to having the same little lumps and features on all the clips, fog light height adjustment mechanism, plugs.

there is one of 3) things causing dullnes

1) they are meant to be dull (seems unlikely), or I'm imagining it being dull
2) the circuitry in the relay unit is not delivering 12V to the LED's (or limiting current, but LED's draw so little in the first place)
3) factory Hyundai circuitry to the unit itself is >12V (seems unlikely)

I've popped a multimeter on mine, and I am definately sending 12V to the relay, I am not really jumping with excitement to take the front bumper off again to check the voltage at the plug of the DRL's

You'll notice on their website http://www.jayongmall.net/product.php?id_product=2753 they sell quite a few items labelled as OEM (and quite a few that aren't, obviously) including the reversing camera, led taillights, the HID version of the headlights (which are over $500 each). If these were counterfeit items, it would be way too much effort for the amount of sales they'd see.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 22:04:20 by alexeiw123 »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Based on your description it would seem possible that they are OEM.

The only other thing I can suggest is if you can get to the wiring at the relay, remove the wiring plug from the relay, then CAREFULLY jump directly from your battery to the lights, bypassing all switches, with the engine running. If you can, make up a correctly wired temporary plug and  simple +  &  - to go to the battery.

If the lights are brighter, then it's the relay or switch circuit. If not then  :Dunno:

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
Based on your description it would seem possible that they are OEM.

The only other thing I can suggest is if you can get to the wiring at the relay, remove the wiring plug from the relay, then CAREFULLY jump directly from your battery to the lights, bypassing all switches, with the engine running. If you can, make up a correctly wired temporary plug and  simple +  &  - to go to the battery.

If the lights are brighter, then it's the relay or switch circuit. If not then  :Dunno:

yes that would definitely work, and would be an easy test, except the relay unit we got is a sealed job with no plugs. I may cut the wires and install some plugs myself though, just for the sake of flexibility.

I could spike the wires easily and check the voltage coming out of the relay.

Those relay units were fairly cheap, and mine even had red/black ass about, If I were to guess, I'd say that it's the culprit.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Let us know how you get on if you go that way, there are others that want to install these as well, it would be a great help  :goodjob2:

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
they had holographic Hyundai stickers on it. the box was labelled with KIA and Hyundai all over it. It is an ebay store for factory items.

I also had some communication with the factory trying to source some other parts, Their service was good and I am 100% satisfied these are the exact same item that would be fitted to one out of the factory. The build quality is identical to the originals, down to having the same little lumps and features on all the clips, fog light height adjustment mechanism, plugs.

2) the circuitry in the relay unit is not delivering 12V to the LED's (or limiting current, but LED's draw so little in the first place)

I've popped a multimeter on mine, and I am definately sending 12V to the relay, I am not really jumping with excitement to take the front bumper off again to check the voltage at the plug of the DRL's

You'll notice on their website http://www.jayongmall.net/product.php?id_product=2753 they sell quite a few items labelled as OEM (and quite a few that aren't, obviously) including the reversing camera, led taillights, the HID version of the headlights (which are over $500 each). If these were counterfeit items, it would be way too much effort for the amount of sales they'd see.

If you reach under the car, directly below the fog light, you can actually reach up and undo the plug to test the voltage :)

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie

If you reach under the car, directly below the fog light, you can actually reach up and undo the plug to test the voltage :)
yeah? i thought the splash guard wouldn't let you through! my multimeter has gone walkabout so I'll have to borrow a mates, but I will get on to that soon as I get a chance.

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

yeah? i thought the splash guard wouldn't let you through! my multimeter has gone walkabout so I'll have to borrow a mates, but I will get on to that soon as I get a chance.

There's two or three clips and the whole corner of the splash guard hinges down. I figured this out when I changed my fog light bulbs to led. I didn't really feel like pulling the bumper off again just to change two bulbs :)

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
handy info, thanks. hmm led foglight bulbs.. I like your thinking...

colour may look strange in my elite though, compared to colour of headlight though, seeing as yours would be HID, and mine are halogen.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Pretty sure you can get LED's in warm white for halogen matching or cool white for HID matching.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I have white led's in my parking lights and they look similar in colour to the Night Breaker Plus globes which I have in the headlights.
I'd imagine that led fog light globes would be a similar colour.... :undecided:

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
Could be a silly question but what is a one-click connector? I tried connecting the white wire to the orange wire, it doesn't turn off when head lights are on? I'm connecting it like a T way, without cutting any of the wire off, just cut a little piece of the orange rubber and stuck the white wire on. Am i doing sonething wrong?

Edit: Btw, are these too blue? They suppose to be white.. according to seller

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 23:03:24 by rickai »

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Could be a silly question but what is a one-click connector? I tried connecting the white wire to the orange wire, it doesn't turn off when head lights are on? I'm connecting it like a T way, without cutting any of the wire off, just cut a little piece of the orange rubber and stuck the white wire on. Am i doing sonething wrong?

Edit: Btw, are these too blue? They suppose to be white.. according to seller

What the..? Those are super blue...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Is it a trick of the camera? I though they were supposed to dim with the headlights on  :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
What the..? Those are super blue...

It's still legal right? Lol, might need to look for alternative if not.

Is it a trick of the camera? I though they were supposed to dim with the headlights on  :confused:

Yea.. I couldn't get them dimmed, dunno where to put the white wire..

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
    • TUMBLR
Where do we ho to order parts from Hyundai? Do we head down to our local dealer? Would they allow us to order parts that aren't  meant for our i30?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Where do we ho to order parts from Hyundai? Do we head down to our local dealer? Would they allow us to order parts that aren't  meant for our i30?

It's a free country .. although these days they usually ask for your reg or vin number to make sure you are getting the right part..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust

When I attempted to find out if a Hyundai harness was available for my DRLs, my local dealer didn't want to know about it - "it's not a listed Oz part so sorry can't help"

Also had contacted H/Care & response was similar - "Sorry no assistance or coment available on non-Oz vehicles"

So if you are after non-Oz parts, your best bet would likely be one of the Korean eBay sellers.
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie

Offline mmjlw

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Have just installed my DRL to my I30 they look great and it only took me 2hrs to install them.

Thanks Marty for the detailed instructions.

Mark
  • 2012 I30 CRDI Premium

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Welcome mmjlw,

Great start to the forum  :goodjob2:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
mmjlw

It loooks as though you may have front parking sensors on your car. If so - are they standard OEM ones on your model - or are they after-market ones?

Did you have them fitted yourself?
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal