i30 Owners Club

POWER STEERING FAILURE/2010 SLX AUTOMATIC

Jim45 · 8 · 2798

Offline Jim45

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Belmont
Hi. I have a 2010 i30, 25.000km. Power steering failed 2 days ago. Turning engine off and on again fixed the problem at that time. Failed again today. Turning off and on no longer fixes the problem. I rang the local dealer and he has it booked in on Friday - 3 days away. As it's under warranty, must use the dealer to fix the problem? Can see the safety implications, have been lucky so far. More concerned about the cost if it happens again when out of warranty. From reading other posts, it seems like Hyundai must be aware of the problem. One can only hope that they are working on a replacement part or assembly that will be re-engineered to eliminate the original fault. This has seriously dented my confidence in the car.
  • Hyundai i30 CRDi 2010

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome Jim45, Sorry your 1st post is a negative one, hope they sort it quickly for you.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Jim and welcome, not sure why only maybe one 1% have this failure.  :undecided:

Each one reported worries me, so can only imagine how you feel  :undecided:

If it happens to you outside warranty you should be o/k seeing as you have had an "event" though :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
G'day Jim,

Whilst it is a pain, I wouldn't worry too much. From memory yours is the second one I have read.

Once it is fixed, you have a very high chance that it will remain that way.

You are sitting somewhere near the middle of the warranty so you still have plenty left.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
A 5 minute trawl on 'tinternet shows that Fiat, Mazda, Ford, Vauxhall, Chevrolet, Toyota & Honda are also experiencing EPS issues.

It seems EPS just isnt as reliable as Hydraulic PS, although the number of failures with EPS is low (maybe with the exception of Fiat)

It does however put less of a load on a cars engine resulting in better performance & economy.

An interesting read here :- http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/02/whos-afraid-of-electric-power-steering/
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

It does however put less of a load on a cars engine resulting in better performance & economy.

I also like the way it doesn't squeal on full lock  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John G

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
G'day Jim

See my Thread on the same topic.

I did write to Hyundai.  They said that they monitored all warranty repairs and that ours was the only i30 that they were aware of that had required the power steering system to be replaced, and that therefore ours was an isolated incident.  This despite there being two other replacements incidents reported on this forum, and our dealer stating that they had replaced others.  According to the dealer it is a $4500 repair (I assume that that is what it would have cost us if we had had to pay).

If they replace yours, then the comfort is that it is an upgraded system.  Hyundai claim that they upgraded the system to increase customer satisfaction, and not because of any inherent fault.

Good luck with it all.

Cheers
John
  • i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal