i30 Owners Club

GPS issues in the new GD

Offline schottgun

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

• 2012 Santorini Blue GD Elite CRDi Manual
**Bump**

I took delivery of my GD Elite Diesel in Mid November, and straight away noticed a few flaws in the nav system that I hadn't noticed during the test drive.

My biggest gripe is the reverse camera which does lag a fair bit. I live in a narrow street, where the only option is reversing in, and mounting the footpath to park, so the camera is a godsend, but the lag irritates me to no end. I took it back to the dealer and asked him, and he told me that was "normal" - he then showed me on another one, which did exactly the same thing. I then realised the reason why I didn't notice it on test drive is because I test drove the Active model, but bought the Elite.

The second thing that annoys me is that when my iPod is on shuffle, the nav system defaults back to normal each time I start the car, so I lose my place in the shuffle, and i have to restart it again.

The third thing is the lack of street names, as many of you have noted.

The fourth thing is the camera warnings, although after going on a 3000km road trip from Syd-Wilsons Prom and back, I did get to know it a bit better and now I understand what the different beeps mean and how they all piece together, where I've now come to the conclusion that it is fairly smart, but still slightly annoying.

The fifth thing to annoy me is the bluetooth phone. When making a call, the keypad disappears, so I can't make conference calls for work where I do need to enter a pin after dialing, or checking my voicemail, etc (as someone else also pointed out here)

I tried searching through the hyundainav.com website for any updates, but when I get to the point of filling in my details and clicking "submit", I get an error message in Korean and have no idea what it's telling me.

I certainly hope these issues will be fixed in following software updates over time. From my experience, car companies tend to actually fix these things eventually. My parents have a BMW 320d which originally had many annoying issues with the iDrive system, but in late 2010 they were all magically fixed with the latest software updates.

Having said that, the nav system is the only part of the car to annoy me thus far. Everything else is excellent - and in case anyone was interested, I made it from Melbourne to Sydney on 3/4 of a tank. Avg was 3.9L/100km with a fully loaded car (packed to the roof with tents, camp chairs, luggage and belongings of two kids!)
  • 2012 i30 GD Elite CRDi Manual - Santorini Blue

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Greetings schottgun,

Thanks for the last 3 sentences, I was beginning to get worried you didn't like your car.   :D

That's very good fuel economy at least.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Welcome Mr Schottgun :D

Boy, you sure have a few things you want sorting out :eek:

**Bump**

That was ok, but I figured it might be best to create a new topic for you, seeing as you have so many issues to deal with.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline schottgun

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

I was beginning to get worried you didn't like your car.   :D

That's very good fuel economy at least.  :goodjob2:

Oh no, I most certainly love it! This is the first time I've ever bought a non-Subaru car, and I don't regret it at all!

The camping trip I was on was with another family in a 3rd-gen Toyota Prius, and I certainly out-ran them for fuel economy. We were placing bets on who would have to refill first, and I was shocked that I won. The Prius averaged 5.5L/100km and had to refill at Sutton Forest on the way back home.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Great  :happydance:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Schottgun ... Good effort to stitch up the Prius.. :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline schottgun

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

Good effort to stitch up the Prius.. :goodjob:

And to think I almost bought one... That would have been a 5 year lease of pure misery...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Your car looks great in the avatar pix  :goodjob:

I have a Hybrid Camry (and I love it) but not a fan of the Prius..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline schottgun

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

Your car looks great in the avatar pix  :goodjob:

cheers mate  :happydance:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
That is brilliant economy.  :goodjob2:
And I'm glad that I'm only a poor retiree who could only manage the base model.  ;)
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal