i30 Owners Club

Driver's Side Mirror Loose

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
Hi guys,

I already searched but nothing came up. Is there a way to tighten the glass on the driver's side mirror? Reason being, I saw it kinda wiggling while driving down the highway today. I checked just now and it's got about 1/8" play. It's not the side mirror housing, it's the actual mirror that's moving. When you press on (Cartesian Plane) Quadrant 1 and Quadrant 3 and try to wiggle it, it wiggles. On Q2 and Q4, it doesnt wiggle.

Is there a way to tighten this or do I have to have it replaced? I hope this is a warranty item as I don't even touch my mirrors unless I'm cleaning them (softly with a microfiber cloth).
  • 2011 FDe i30 1.6 CRDi 6M/T

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Wow, that is an odd one! I have no idea ..

Hopefully one of the members who has upgraded the mirror housing might have some idea.

It could be a warranty repair but I didn't think your dealer had been too helpful in the past  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
do you own the FD or FG i30?  the mirror on the FD only clips into the positioning motor,either the mirror glass isn't clipped in properly or the motor could be loose.  :undecided:  if its under warranty take the car back to the dealers to be repaired.  :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'd like to hear Waja!?!'s view on this, as he plays around with mirror assemblies for fun ;)

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
It's the FD i30. I have a schedule with the dealer on Saturday as my wiper fluid motor is being replaced (seal went bad causing all fluid to leak as it is the lowest point). I will have them check this out. If it's just clipped in, then clipping it properly or "screwing" it properly may just be key. Otherwise, I'll have it replaced whether under warranty or not. Don't want to run the risk of a side mirror glass flying down the side of my car and causing a scratch or worse, hitting another car at highway speeds.

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
by the way, the motor is fine and rotates in all axis just fine so i'm pretty sure it's not the motor. Nothing is "rattling" or making any kind of sound in that area as well...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It's the FD i30. I have a schedule with the dealer on Saturday as my wiper fluid motor is being replaced (seal went bad causing all fluid to leak as it is the lowest point). I will have them check this out. If it's just clipped in, then clipping it properly or "screwing" it properly may just be key. Otherwise, I'll have it replaced whether under warranty or not. Don't want to run the risk of a side mirror glass flying down the side of my car and causing a scratch or worse, hitting another car at highway speeds.

Sounds like a plan  :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
And if anyone else gets the same problem they'll be able to mirror your solution.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Update: He took it to the dealer and they said they'd look into it  :snigger:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I heard that it was just a reflection of how he's looked after it.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal