i30 Owners Club

Someone claiming their GD i30 major fault on Whirlpool

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
A Whirlpool forum member has posted how her GD i30 rolled down her driveway into a hedge despite insisting she had it in park and having the handbrake applied.

Hyundai towed her car away and investigated but could find nothing wrong.

She's now a bit peeved off. She suspects a major fault which has caused her car to roll forwards.

See what you think.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2097605

• MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Regardless of what she says. I don't believe it is possible for the P and the handbrake to fail at the same time. Her photos only prove the car was in Park and the handbrake on when she took the photos.
I reckon she just "forgot" and simply turned the engie off.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Pip
Dunno how steep the drive is but my guess is that the car was left in park (or worse, drive) and the rear wheels just slid because the (rear wheel) handbrake was insufficient to hold it without the front wheels also locked up. User error!

Remember she only had it a week... I'm always conscious of doing something absent mindedly or hitting a wrong button etc. in the first few weeks of a new car ownership.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 12:31:42 by Pip »

Offline thommo101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA

• 2012 GD i30 Active Diesel Manual
I've been following the Whirlpool thread... Now I don't want to call someone a liar, but I get the feeling that they may have just had a lapse of concentration and not put it in park, possibly with the handbrake not on tight enough.

She had a lot of distractions going on.. AND its a new car (I'm only 1000kms into my i30 and I still find my muscle memory occasionally lining up to my old corolla!):
The Bluetooth thingie was saying that it couldn't connect to my phone, and I was in the midst of putting in an address on the SATNAV for my trip. That was when I looked up and saw my garden gate was open. I braked and put it in park because of the slope of the driveway, picked up my phone so I could go close enough to my home to get the wifi working and check the address on it.

With the handbrake on AND the automatic in Park... Its unlikely both failed at the same time (and then miraculously started working again...)
  • 2012 i30 GD CRDi Active manual

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Papers are full of runaway Hyundais... give me a few weeks to see if I can find one...

I vote air-head owner forgot to apply the handbrake, after all, in her own words, she fails to mention that she applied them before getting out of the car, only stating they were on after describing the incident.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
When I had my first i30 when I parked, handbrake on, on an incline the car would move slightly.

Said to do with brake system which was "normal" but it never just rolled away......

Not experienced the same with the new model.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
check out the angle of the front wheel and the angle steering wheel. Is that normal on a gd?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
check out the angle of the front wheel and the angle steering wheel. Is that normal on a gd?

Looks like the steering is straight ahead but wheels turned a few degrees  :undecided:

I was so tempted to reply (especially the bit about Hyundai quality)  :evil:

Handbrake doesn't look fully on to me. Must say it is a fairly balance discussion so far (not too much Hyundai bashing)

Damn it .. I am going to reply (watch this space)  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I was already a member of the Whirlpool forum (Hybrid Camry posts  :razz: ) so I posted this:-

Hi Scampergirl, Sorry to hear of your upsetting incident. I can only imagine how you feel.

I am co-founder and an administrator of www.i30ownersclub.com (a world-wide club that is over 5 years old and has over 4000 members in more than 60 countries)

We have owned 2 Hyundai i30's (My wife still has the 2nd one which is a MY11 manual FD (series 1) CW (wagon variant)

In a total of 4 years of i30 ownership we have never had to make a warranty claim and many of our members have similar stories. There is nothing wrong with Hyundai quality (for those who have said otherwise) In fact they rate higher these days than mainly dearer brands in quality surveys world wide.

I can not explain what happened in your case. The handbrake doesn't look fully on in the photo though. I know my wife doesn't engage hers as tightly as I do for example.

We have not had (to date) another incidence of this situation and couldn't find one with a quick google search.

Maybe you could get a more confident family member or friend to help you try and replicate the situation in a safer (inclined) area than your driveway.

Good luck getting it sorted to your satisfaction.

To those put off buying a Hyundai by this one thread please don't, they are generally very safe and reliable cars these days (I wouldn't have bought my Wife one if I had any doubts)

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Hi again, sorry, but to me the steering wheel looks like 90 degrees clockwise or 270 degrees anticlockwise, The letters, ag, as in air bag can be seen in the top right of the picture. Given that the wheels are pointing to the left , it would suggest a 270 degree turn anticlockwise. Now, do  Hyundais have that thing where the speed of the vehicle dictates the rotation required to turn the wheels. i.e slower speeds = less turning of the steering wheel and more turning of the front wheels? We have an Fd so I cannot compare. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but i like to find out things. That is why I am a reader of this forum.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Not sure Aye30  :confused:

I'm going to post a couple of questions for GD model owners...So I can report back on Whirlpool.

How positive is the selection of Park in the auto and if it is not selected properly what is next to it reverse or neutral?

and.. How high is the handbrake against the seat squab when fully engaged (level or higher?)

I'll also post this as a separate topic to get as many replies as possible ..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Have to say the handbrake on our FD is not flash. At present, it requires a meaty pull to hold the vehicle, this may just be adjustment though.

Haven't seen any pic of the auto, but a common method, is to push a pawl, into a toothed gear and lock the trans from rotation. It is possible to get an indicated "park" but the pawl not be 100% captured in the teeth of the gear. I know, it happened to me once in a powerglide Holden. I was careless and didn't bother with the handbrake. I was alone, in the country, ready to open a stock gate across the road. The gear slipped just as I opened the door and the car rolled. 30 seconds later & I would have been pinned between the car & gate, for hours. I duly chastised myself.  :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
Not sure Aye30  :confused:

I'm going to post a couple of questions for GD model owners...So I can report back on Whirlpool.

How positive is the selection of Park in the auto and if it is not selected properly what is next to it reverse or neutral?

and.. How high is the handbrake against the seat squab when fully engaged (level or higher?)

I'll also post this as a separate topic to get as many replies as possible ..

The photo looks like Reverse is next one down from park .

My theory is that shes just not put the handbrake up fully enough and I donno about autos in general but my father is always leaving his handbrake not dis-engaged fully and is able to drive off smoothly in his merc until a warning beeb alerts him that its still engaged.

Also, leaving it in 'park' in auto's is that like the same as 1st gear on manual and does it engage any brake pressure?

The skid mark indicates to me that the engine must have rev'd up a bit, cus theres two sets of skid marks, one in line with the rear tyre and one next to the rear tyre which looks like it would be from the front left and since it left a small patch it looks like it spun the front tyre slightly and the rear skid looks like it slid and rolled a it and slid.

one thing that is the anomaly is like someone said, the steering wheel is either turned 90' right or turned 270' left which would be impossible to turn on its own in a short space and speed, unless she left at an angle from when she drove into the driveway and not fully straightened the wheel, and since her tyres are pointing left it leaves me to think the later.

also just had another theory :idea: ...since she parked front down on an incline, her brain probably didnt compensate for the angle of the handbrake so she may thought she had pulled it all up but since ur leaning forwards, your arm doesnt have the full movement to leaver the handbrake properly, as u would if you were sitting horizontal.

(I bet everyone is leaning forwards now in their chair to replicate a handbrake movement  :rofl: )

The theory of the engine revving up slightly might be cus she had AC on and radio and stuff and it was a hot day so it will automatically rev higher.  She doesn't mention if her car has stop/start but it would be irrelevant since her AC was on so it wouldnt have started up on its own.

so conclusion is that I think she left the handbrake half engaged and the engine revved up just enough to start the car rolling, I wouldnt say that the engine kept revving, I would say it died down to idle, like a small blip just enough to move the car

• silver i30 classic 1.6 CRDi 110PS Diesel Blue Drive Manual

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
Quote from wiki about autoboxes

Park (P)
    This selection mechanically locks the output shaft of transmission, restricting the vehicle from moving in any direction. A parking pawl prevents the transmission from rotating, and therefore the vehicle from moving, although the vehicle's driven wheels may still rotate individually (because of the differential), also non-driven roadwheels may still rotate freely. For this reason, it is recommended to use the hand brake (or parking brake) because this actually locks (in most cases) the rear wheels and prevents them from moving. This also increases the life of the transmission and the park pin mechanism, because parking on an incline with the transmission in park without the parking brake engaged will cause undue stress on the parking pin. An efficiently adjusted hand brake should also prevent the car from moving if a worn selector accidentally drops into reverse gear during early morning fast-idle engine warm-ups[citation needed]. It should be noted that locking the transmission output shaft using park does not positively lock the driving wheels. If one driving wheel has little vertical load it will tend to slip, and will rotate in the opposite direction to the more heavily loaded non-slipping wheel

so bit of slippage and handbrake not fully on is where I would put my money on.

Offline thommo101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA

Hi again, sorry, but to me the steering wheel looks like 90 degrees clockwise or 270 degrees anticlockwise, The letters, ag, as in air bag can be seen in the top right of the picture. Given that the wheels are pointing to the left , it would suggest a 270 degree turn anticlockwise. Now, do  Hyundais have that thing where the speed of the vehicle dictates the rotation required to turn the wheels. i.e slower speeds = less turning of the steering wheel and more turning of the front wheels? We have an Fd so I cannot compare. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but i like to find out things. That is why I am a reader of this forum.

Ok, I have a 2012 GD manual Active model. I just went and took some photos of the handbrake / steering wheel as queried above. My electric steering is set to 'Normal' and the wheel was turned whilst the engine was on and the car stationary. The handbrake is pulled up 5-clicks, which is what I seem to normally set it to. With a bit more pull it has 1 more click in her.

https://plus.google.com/photos/117869813817569017378/albums/5876622057863622033?authkey=CLDazf3KlIfnZw

(Hope the link works!)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I like others for the life of me could not see BOTH the Park brake and Gearbox parking pin both failing at the same time and especially in a brand new car
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

ouri30
I like others for the life of me could not see BOTH the Park brake and Gearbox parking pin both failing at the same time and especially in a brand new car

Agree and what's more if the parking pin in the transmission failed, it would be stuffed and therefore would be damaged and this would be evident.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the photo link Thommo .. From your photo and Alan's photo in another thread the handbrake looks like it sits quite low when engaged because the bolsters on the seat squab are quite pronounced on the GD.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
me thinks scampergirl is really a scamergirl.  :idea: :winker:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Online AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
For what it's worth my guess is that she stopped on the downward slope and put the handbrake on with her foot on the brake. She then forgot to put it in neutral or park and got out of the car. The A/C then cut in whilst she was away from the car which caused the engine to move off idle and the increased engine power overcame the resistance of the handbrake and dragged the car into the bushes.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

For what it's worth my guess is that she stopped on the downward slope and put the handbrake on with her foot on the brake. She then forgot to put it in neutral or park and got out of the car. The A/C then cut in whilst she was away from the car which caused the engine to move off idle and the increased engine power overcame the resistance of the handbrake and dragged the car into the bushes.
Certainly seems like the most obvious explanation  :undecided:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :wts: :idea: :winker:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
me thinks scampergirl is really a scamergirl.  :idea: :winker:
honest,it was already like that.  :whistler: :snigger:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Agreed Alan..
But you forgot the bit where she put the car in Park, after she got back to it.  :wink:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West

Ok, I have a 2012 GD manual Active model. I just went and took some photos of the handbrake / steering wheel as queried above. My electric steering is set to 'Normal' and the wheel was turned whilst the engine was on and the car stationary. The handbrake is pulled up 5-clicks, which is what I seem to normally set it to. With a bit more pull it has 1 more click in her.

https://plus.google.com/photos/117869813817569017378/albums/5876622057863622033?authkey=CLDazf3KlIfnZw

(Hope the link works!)

nice pics...but a little off topic.....howcome u got like a carpet/rug thingy on top of ur dashboard? is it for ur cat to sit on  :lol:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
That's so your toes are warm when you relax and put your feet up on the dash while using "cruise"....  :whistler:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Incorrect application...Simple.

She put it into park then put the handbrake on....Wrong! A she has not tested the handbrake to ensure it has applied properly, and B she is exposing the transmission to extra stress as the vehicle will naturally lurch forward causing stress to the park gear in the transmission.

To do this correctly (especially important on a steep hill as indicated here) she should have selected N,  applied the hand brake, tested the hand brake via releasing the foot brake allowing the vehicle to settle, then applied Park. Regardless of an issue with the park brake, or the incorrect application of the hand brake (and I have had this happen a couple of times one 'click' can make a big difference) the solution is fairly simple, apply foot brake, reapply hand brake and retest. 

The young lady may wish to retract some of her claims, as they may be defamatory.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I've heard the noise of the park pin not engaging years ago after not putting my car into park properly.  :-[ the car rolled about 6 meters after i got out with the park pin making a nasty click click sound till it eventually clicked in and came to an abrupt stop.  :sweating:  it was time to fix my non working hand brake.  :-[ :-[

Offline thommo101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA

nice pics...but a little off topic.....howcome u got like a carpet/rug thingy on top of ur dashboard? is it for ur cat to sit on  :lol:

The dashmat is great in summer at reducing the sun glare and heat. Also protects the dash (although I'm annoyed it doesn't cover the whole passenger side... bloody airbags :P).

Edit - Oh.. I see.. you are from the UK... the 'sun' is the yellow thing in the sky that lives behind the clouds. 'Heat' is something that comes from the 'sun' much like being inside a kitchen oven  :P

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The dashmat is great in summer at reducing the sun glare and heat. Also protects the dash (although I'm annoyed it doesn't cover the whole passenger side... bloody airbags :P).

Edit - Oh.. I see.. you are from the UK... the 'sun' is the yellow thing in the sky that lives behind the clouds. 'Heat' is something that comes from the 'sun' much like being inside a kitchen oven  :P

Love it  :rofl: Yeah, a dashmat is a good investment even in Tassie  :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal