i30 Owners Club

Recall - Faulty Warning lights?

Bel680 · 26 · 14419

Offline Bel680

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Anyone else get this one:

Dear Valued Hyundai Owner,
Hyundai is constantly monitoring the quality, safety & reliability of vehicles being driven by our customers. This allows Hyundai to provide improvements to vehicles in use, to ensure their ongoing performance.
As part of this process, Hyundai has identified a range of vehicles fitted with a potentially faulty switch - which may cause warning lamps on the dashboard to illuminate unnecessarily. Our records indicate that your Hyundai i30 (VIN: *****) is affected and the potentially faulty switch requires replacement.
We request that you contact your nearest Hyundai dealer as soon as possible to arrange a convenient time to have the potentially faulty switch replaced. This is a simple repair and will be carried out free of charge through your Hyundai dealer. A list of Hyundai dealer locations and Service department contact details can be found here.
Please print and present this notice to your Hyundai dealer when attending your appointment.
We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you and assure you of our best efforts to maintain your driving pleasure and satisfaction with your Hyundai vehicle. Should you require further information, please contact our Customer Care Centre on 1800 186 306 or via email.
Yours sincerely,
Hyundai Motor Company Australia

I'm trying to figure out where to take my car, since I refuse to deal with my local dealer..
  • SX MY11 Vivid Blue Hatch - Bluebelle

ouri30
Yes, got two of these for our ix35 and our i20, but not the i30 FD.  I reported this several weeks ago.  Our recalls came via email.  Both switches have been replaced.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
As it's a warranty issue, just book it in and have the work performed. No need to engage in any other dialogue.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Bel680
I'm trying to figure out where to take my car, since I refuse to deal with my local dealer..

Do take it there.

They'll be more than cheesed off at having to work to Hyundai's warranty work schedule at bare minimum rate (all HY bulletins seem to dictate the maximum time permitted to claim for completing repairs).
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
should have looked here first I asked the same question in a general thread,yes I got one of these today,as we got 2 I30's I have to go up the shed and check which one it is,as this is only a generalised email I am wondering if this is the brake switch issue,which I have already been done
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I'd put a dollar bet on it...
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It's interesting that I still haven't received any correspondence on this. My switch IS faulty. It has been playing up intermittently for a couple of years butmaybe once every 2 or 3 months. It's become more prevalent recently and on Tuesday I bboked in for a 60,000 klm service and attention to the brake switch.

Now, for the important bit. There has been some discussion on here regarding the loss of the cruise control function with the new switch. At least the service manager at Sunco Currimundi is aware of this. He asked me if I had CC fitted and when I said yes, explained the situation to me.
The new switch does not allow the CC to be activated. They have not been advised how long before a revised revised ( :disapp:) switch will be available, however thay will fir a replacement of the original type, pending the next gen one becoming available.

So, a word of warning to anyone who has had the switch replaced and their CC is working. It's just possible your dealer has replaced with the old style switch and is hoping it won't play up, but hasn't bothered to explain it to you.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

ouri30
As far as I can determine, there are two switch types, one for vehicles with CC and one for those without.  I am also going to suggest that Hy Au has replacements for both.  I base this on the recent emails I received, one for an i20 without CC and one for an ix35 with cruise.  I doubt that they would recall vehicles by VIN and replace the switch with a potential faulty type.  This would be a very costly exercise as it would require another recall.  I know that some feel Hy Au are kinda thick, but not this thick, surely.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I think (not sure) the reported issues with CC are on i30's.
The service manager I deal with has been there as long as I've had my car.
I've always found him extremely forthcoming so if he says he can't replace my switch and keep the CC with the redesigned switch I guess that makes sense.
I'll ask him on Tuesday about the i20 and iX35.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
has it been asked but how do you know whether the switch is faulty?

does the brake light flash or light on panel glow?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
From memory the traction control light comes on when you hit the brakes.

You may also find the cruise control wont engage or cuts out for no apparent reason.

If there is an issue with the Cruise Control, I must have got the old switch......The good wife got her recall notice on the 1/5 I found it in the junk mail of my email.

I'm not too worried, they can do it as part of the 15000k service.

I'll wait until they fix the cruise control issue then they can do mine again....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The ESP light on the dash comes on.
At least while it is on, there is at least a two second delay in the brake lights coming on. As the problem gets worse, the brake lights won't operate at all while the ESP light is on.
When you turn the engine off and restart, the ESP light goes off. It will eventually come on again at some time when you apply the brakes.
Whatever interacts with the C/C to confirm the brakes are working seems to have been left off the re-designed replacement switch.
To the best of my knowledge the C/C still works with th eoriginal switch, even when the ESP light is on.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
With mine, I could see the brake lights were slightly delayed even when the dash warning light wasn't on.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
With mine, I could see the brake lights were slightly delayed even when the dash warning light wasn't on.
That could well be the case with mine now too.
The whole thing has deteriorated dramatically over the last few months. Initially I checked it in my garage where I could see the reflection as the brake lights came on. I haven't looked at it without the warning light on reently 'coz it's always on. :disapp:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
But do the brakes apply immediately or is there a slight delay?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
But do the brakes apply immediately or is there a slight delay?
The brakes are hydraulic. They apply immediately.   :P

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

This is quite a volatile mix of cause / effect symptoms. The bottom line is that affected cars are more likely to get rear-ended, I would suspect particularly in town / city traffic at low speed, but imagine the risk posed by the habitual speeder who isnt concentrating on whats happening in front of him...  :scared:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Agreed Keith.
Since I've been aware of the problem I'm even more aware of what's behind me than I normally am.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I rang Hy today,because when I checked the Vin numbers it was Cyril that needed to go back,I rang the dealer who changed my brake switch when I had trouble with it,asked him he looked up the recall for my car and this is exactly what it is for.
So Keith wins his dollar.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

I rang Hy today,because when I checked the Vin numbers it was Cyril that needed to go back,I rang the dealer who changed my brake switch when I had trouble with it,asked him he looked up the recall for my car and this is exactly what it is for.
So Keith wins his dollar.

:happydance: :rofl:  :snigger:

Offline SandRsSR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Guildford, Western Australia
Thanks Surferdude for the explanation. At our 30,000 service our switch was replaced and we were told the cruise control would not be working until a new part arrived and now I understand it better. It has been about a month and the lack of cruise control is no huge problem but when we drive down to Dunsborough I miss it.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I booked my i30 in for it's 60,000k service the other day.....

They will replace the brake light switch as well.

I was told the issue with the cruise not working after the switch replacement is only applicable to petrol models.... I guess time will tell.  :undecided:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I suspect it will be the 1st thing you check, good luck.  :D
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks Phil....If it doesn't work, I'll be one grumpy rusty... :(

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I booked my i30 in for it's 60,000k service the other day.....

They will replace the brake light switch as well.

I was told the issue with the cruise not working after the switch replacement is only applicable to petrol models.... I guess time will tell.  :undecided:

Had my switch replaced a while ago,didn't affect my CC,mind you I got an after market one

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :fingers: Rusty .. nothing worse  than having to take it back AFTER a fix  :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal