i30 Owners Club

Persistent Air Conditioner Leak

harvey · 8 · 10068

Offline harvey

• 1st Gear
Hi Guys,
I have an ongoing  problem with a leakage from my air conditioner on '08 Hyundai I30.
Pressure tested 12 bar for 10 mins and used UV to check for leaks. None detected on Sun Machine  or seen on UV
There is a suspicion that the one of the charging valves may be leaking as when the plastic cap is removed a small 

hiss can be heard.  The valves would not be part of the leakage test. They have been changed but did not fix the problem. I think that there must be metal caps available to backup the valves. I have checked on the net to see if there are such caps  but cant see any.

Are such things available?  Just an idea. Maybe the fault lies elsewhere.
I would be grateful for your opinions
Thank You
Harvey
  • I30 115bhp 2008 owned from new

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Interesting... I have an issue with my aircon too. I thought I'd done a cheap DIY fix myself but no...
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I've just ordered a new condenser, as the dealer told me there's a leak on the rearside of the condenser. Had that UV dye put in last time I got the system topped up.

I can hear a hiss sound in the cabin when turning on the a/c.

Was told that there was an newer improved condenser from Hyundai, as the first series apparently wasn't very good.

Have placed the order at a supplier from Germany, as Hyundai must think their spare parts are made of pure gold.. :disapp:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Sounds exactly the same issue as I suffered. New (warrantied) condenser fitted.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
That looks (and sounds) like a radiator :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Hi Guys,
I have an ongoing  problem with a leakage from my air conditioner on '08 Hyundai I30.
Pressure tested 12 bar for 10 mins and used UV to check for leaks. None detected on Sun Machine  or seen on UV
There is a suspicion that the one of the charging valves may be leaking as when the plastic cap is removed a small 

hiss can be heard.  The valves would not be part of the leakage test. They have been changed but did not fix the problem. I think that there must be metal caps available to backup the valves. I have checked on the net to see if there are such caps  but cant see any.

Are such things available?  Just an idea. Maybe the fault lies elsewhere.
I would be grateful for your opinions
Thank You
Harvey

Condensers are the most likely component to leak as they are in line of stones and other objects tossed up by other cars. The valves should NOT require any further caps as they are fitted to all cars and are not generally a source of leakage. Note that leaking air cond gas can come from a split or fractured connection, a faulty O ring in a pipe connection, the TX valve ion the evaporator, or woese still, the evaporator itself, very hard to detect as the coils lied deep inside the car.

I would make sure UV dye is added and have the car pressure monitored over a period of hours, in the workshop, to determine if and when the gas leaks.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal