i30 Owners Club

How do I keep my air in RECIRC mode?

lostn · 23 · 7754

Offline lostn

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Every time I turn ON or OFF my air con / heating, the air automatically switches to FRESH mode, and I want to keep it on RECIRC. I don't want outside air coming in. But the car seems to insist on it, and I have to manually switch it back to RECIRC.

When I turn on my car, I find it is always in FRESH mode. I suspect, as soon as I turn off the engine, it automatically goes into FRESH mode, meaning it is letting outside air into the car the whole time it is unattended.

I really don't like this. During winter months (as it is for me right now) I enter my car and find all my glass is fogged up. This isn't your standard mist, which is just tiny globules of water so fine it looks like mist. What I'm seeing on my glass is big globules of water, so thick that even my demister can't get rid of it. I have to wipe it with a towel (which I don't always have on me), and even then my screen is not clear.

I don't want outside moisture getting in. Is there a way to disable the auto FRESH switching?

If it helps, I have i30 Elite with climate control.
  • Elite 1.8L Auto

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
If I hit the "Auto" on my climate control, it sometimes switches to recirc and sometimes does not. Seems to depend on the outside temperature.

Never bothered me to be honest as I normally use the manual temp/speed/direction/airsource buttons.

However, I do believe there may be some combination of praying and monkey magic that affects what happens with CC, though it might just be about the defogging logic. Try a search on defogging - you might be lucky.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
On my old Accent you could tap the air con buttons in a particular set order and from memory you tapped 1 button twice at the end of the sequence to confirm the mode.

I don't have the handbook with me to see if this is the same for the i30 but it may have something similar.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi lostn,

Your heavy misting worries me.. sounds like your car has got really wet inside at some stage  :undecided: Is this possible?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
the heavy dew/mist inside the car like dazz said would have me worried, is the car kept our over night or is it garaged because this can make a difference,especially if it is parked outside on very cold nights.I used to have this happen in an older car I used to own in melbourne in the winter months,It was always parked outside,made the problem lesser by covering the car with a heavy blanket
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Check the manual. My FD i30 has an option to turn off the pre-programmed fuzzy logic within the climate control such as insisting when you press the front defogging button, that it switches to outside air. Also, depending on the temperature you set, it would choose recirculate vs outside air.

I have switched that off and now have full manual mode.

It entails a set routine of button pushes. All in the manual.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
Hi lostn,

Your heavy misting worries me.. sounds like your car has got really wet inside at some stage  :undecided: Is this possible?

i thought the same thing dazz. check the rear wheel well, rear quarter panels and floor for moisture/water, especially the rear wheel well and quarter panels for 'tide marks', on next really dry day leave everything open for the whole day with the car in the sun...

my wheel well had filled with water at some stage, i think the tail light wiring grommet may not have been installed correctly, one was a touch funny when i did the light mod (all light up under brakes and park lights).

you dont want water in the car, it evaporates, then condenses above the roof lining and sits there causing rust in the roof where the roof stays are...

Offline lostn

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi lostn,

I don't see how. Though this heavy misting only started recently. But that could just be the weather (I'm in Melbourne, Australia).

I haven't cleaned the interior other than a wet cloth to wipe the dashboard. I don't have a leak in the car, so I don't know how it could have gotten wet inside. I'm quite sure it's to do with the air venting. It's not the only car that keeps switching into fresh air mode. I've seen cars go from recirc to fresh by itself, but never the other way around.
  • Elite 1.8L Auto

Offline lostn

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
the heavy dew/mist inside the car like dazz said would have me worried, is the car kept our over night or is it garaged because this can make a difference,especially if it is parked outside on very cold nights.I used to have this happen in an older car I used to own in melbourne in the winter months,It was always parked outside,made the problem lesser by covering the car with a heavy blanket

It's parked outside... But here's the thing. All my cars have been parked outside, and I've never had a misting problem this bad with any of them. But all of them had mechanical switches (not buttons) for air circulation which can't be changed automatically by the car. In fact, I never even needed to demist them, because the mist was always on the outside not the inside.

i thought the same thing dazz. check the rear wheel well, rear quarter panels and floor for moisture/water, especially the rear wheel well and quarter panels for 'tide marks', on next really dry day leave everything open for the whole day with the car in the sun...

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=22964.new#new

I'm unfortunately not very mechanically minded... Do I need to take apart pieces of the car to check those things, or is it a check on the outside? It does rain a lot at the moment. Not going to be a dry or sunny day for a long time.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 20:18:52 by lostn »
  • Elite 1.8L Auto

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Changing the air source to RECIRC will not stop your misting problem. For starters the car is not air tight. It will always "leak".

Notwithstanding, even on FRESH, there must be a draw of the air to get the air from outside to inside the car, it won't just flow by itself.

If the air is moist, as it is in Melbourne, and the temperature drops to below the dew point, which it will over winter, then the water will condense, and if there is something to bond to, such as glass, which will be colder than the inside air, then you will get what you currently have.

Don't blame the climate control for doing what it is designed to do, blame Melbourne's weather.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi lostn,

I don't see how. Though this heavy misting only started recently. But that could just be the weather (I'm in Melbourne, Australia).

I'm on the north west coast of Tassie which has similar weather to Melbourne.

Has been a few year since we parked our i30 outside overnight (and ours was an FD) 

I don't recall the inside of the windows ending up with more than a light mist on the inside even when a thick frost on the outside. :undecided:

I have only heard of this after someone has got their carpets really wet due to a leak or something. You don't have to disassemble anything to check. Just feel your carpets and inspect low points in your boot etc.. like the spare wheel well etc..

Leaving the car on recirculating can make the driver drowsy (that is one of the reasons it defaults to fresh) and sometimes I find fresh clears misting quicker anyway :confused:

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Unfortunately, I live in the warm, sunny climate of Queensland so I am unable to provide advice. :snigger:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Unfortunately, I live in the warm, sunny climate of Queensland so I am unable to provide advice. :snigger:

:Yeah: You guys might be warmer, but you seem to get a lot more "inclement" weather than us these days  :whistler:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
G'day,

I wonder if you have the main setting set to windscreen. I had a play with the good wife's car, and when the A/C was set to blow out the passengers section, it would turn on and off on recirc mode, turn it to windscreen and it wouldn't. This would explain why I couldn't recall it ever being a problem in mine (and perhaps the misting, if you run cold air onto the windscreen it will fog up on the outside necessitating you to use the windscreen wiper to clear.

I always have my A/C on recirc mode, you never know when some old (or not so old) car will blow smoke in your face and recirc keeps it out.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

:Yeah: You guys might be warmer, but you seem to get a lot more "inclement" weather than us these days  :whistler:
Yes when you live in constant inclement weather Dazz  :whistler: you don't really notice that it is in fact inclement weather  :D,But everyone watching the weather does notice it when UM gets the inclement weather up his way  :rolleyes:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes when you live in constant inclement weather Dazz  :whistler: you don't really notice that it is in fact inclement weather  :D,But everyone watching the weather does notice it when UM gets the inclement weather up his way  :rolleyes:

:brilliant:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

That's funny, Dazz.  I've never heard of widespread flooding, cyclones, drought in Tassie, but it is common place in Queensland. 

Remember, Tassie isn't cold, Canada is cold.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
 :whsaid: with the exception of the "drought" bit in Tassie...  :goodjob:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

That's funny, Dazz.  I've never heard of widespread flooding, cyclones, drought in Tassie, but it is common place in Queensland. 

and your point is  :question: Qld weather great one day brilliant the next,the floods,drought and cyclones are just for light entertainment,for when they get bored with the good weather  :whistler:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Both my i30's got and still get condensation on the front window in cooler weather.

I resolved it, to a point, by making sure the vent to the window was closed before I turned off the engine.  I press the vent to the footwell.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I resolved it, to a point, by making sure the vent to the window was closed before I turned off the engine.  I press the vent to the footwell.

Good idea Lester  :goodjob:

But can you try and keep on topic please ... We were talking about the lousy, inclement Queensland weather ..  :whistler: :snigger:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
and your point is  :question: Qld weather great one day brilliant the next,the floods,drought and cyclones are just for light entertainment,for when they get bored with the good weather  :whistler:

:goodjob2: :goodjob:  :P

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

I've never heard of Tasmania. Where is that?  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal