AlanHo · 16 · 17828

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I need some advice.

Until recently I have used very basic Samsung GT E2230 candy bar phone which I paired with my 130.  When I first paired the phone with the car, I had to enter the passkey 0000 on the phone during the pairing process. After which I downloaded the phone book to the car and it worked OK (except that it would only download mobile phone numbers and not land line numbers). This was not a real problem because I rarely make calls from the car – but it was nice to be able to receive calls hands free.

A few months ago I climbed back into the 21st century and acquired a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 smartphone, which is listed on the Hyundai Bluetooth compatibility chart as fully compatible. I have had it for a few months but yesterday decided at long last to pair it with the car.

On the phone Bluetooth settings I ticked Bluetooth “on” – visible “on” etc - then switched on the car unit and used the car settings to delete the previous phone and pair the new one.  It paired OK without me being required (nothing came up on the phone) to enter the passkey. I was able to play through the car audio - music off the phone, make calls entered on the phone and receive calls through the car phone system using the steering wheel buttons.

I guess you know what’s coming………………………..I cannot get the phonebook to download to the car. Even though the phone is clearly paired and connected when I attempt to download the phonebook, after about three minutes a message appears on the car screen stating that the download failed. I have noticed that each time I initiate the download, the phone chimes and a brief message appears at the top of the phone screen stating “connection to phonebook requested” this repeats every 40 seconds or so until the car decides nothing is happening and throws up the error message.

I have trawled through all the possible settings on the phone to see if there is some way of giving permission for the phone book to be accessed, but without success.

My contacts are on the phone, not the SIM card. It is the same contacts list as on the previous phone which downloaded OK and I have even halved the number of contacts down to 50 to see if that would help. All to no avail.

I expect I am missing something really simple – so please tell me what it is

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Similar happened to me when I changed phones.

What I did was to delete everything from the cars unit.

I then went in the menu and paired the phone. 
Then I when back into the menu and, I think 2, it asked me to download the phonebook/contacts from my phone.

Works OK for me now.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Something in the back of my mind reminds me that somebody else had this issue and that the permission to share phone book dialog box on the phone was hidden behind a weather app or wallpaper or something which had been coded to always be on top.

Check that you don't have the same issue Alan, if you have any gadgets or widgets on your home screen move them to another screen or delete them when trying to upload the phone book.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Something in the back of my mind reminds me that somebody else had this issue and that the permission to share phone book dialog box on the phone was hidden behind a weather app or wallpaper or something which had been coded to always be on top.

Check that you don't have the same issue Alan, if you have any gadgets or widgets on your home screen move them to another screen or delete them when trying to upload the phone book.

I you referring to this thread.

I have searched for and checked all threads on the forum using "phonebook" in the search box.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I knew I had seen it somewhere (I forgot I had posted about it here though :-[ )

So I take it that this is not the problem Alan?

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I have not added any apps or stuff to the phone - I am still almost a virgin regarding smartphones. I have previously owned a Blackberry and a more basic Samsung smartphone but failed to get to grips with them.  To be honest I only bought this new one because you guys kept going on about tapatalk and I thought it might be useful to keep abreast of the forum while I am out and about - which it is. I have to admit though that I hate with a passion these virtual key boards.

The other thing about this new phone is that the camera is brilliant - but - there there is a ringer volume rocker switch on the side of the phone which is all too easy to accidentally press when you use the phone in landscape orientation as a camera and mute the ringer - it is driving me bonkers and I have half a mind to set it on maximum and araldite the bloody thing so it can't move.

Anyway, I digress, the phone 'desktop' has the following icons as standard:-
Talk, Latitude, Task, Navigation, Voice Command, Voice recorder, Voice Talk, Voice Search, Places, Downloads, Photo Editor, Mini Diary, Calculator, Samsung Apps, News and Weather, Task manager, Memo, Polaris office, ebay, FM Radio, Game Hub, Google+, Messenger, Music, Music Player, O2 space, Play books, Samsung Hub, You Tube, O2, Clock, Calendar, Internet, Camera, Maps, Email, Gallery, Search, Play Store, Settings, Social Hub, Music hub, My Files, Video Player and finally AllShare. The only one I have added is Tapatalk.

I don't have a clue what most of these do and life is too short for me to wade through them. Furthermore I can't see how to delete any if I wanted to.

It looks like I will have to shrug and give up the quest. if all else fails, I have still got my nice and simple basic candy bar phone - but then Tapatalk would be out of the question.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
OK, can you try this and see what happens?

Try to upload the phone book again, but when you activate that option, keep an eye on the notification bar (black bar at the top of the phone) screen for an alert (might be an exclamation mark in a triangle) and when that appears swipe your thumb/finger from the top of the phone screen downwards.  This opens the notification area and you may find that there is an option there asking you to confirm that you wish to switch on PBAP (Phonebook Access Profile).  Once confirmed the upload should take place :undecided:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

OK, can you try this and see what happens?

Try to upload the phone book again, but when you activate that option, keep an eye on the notification bar (black bar at the top of the phone) screen for an alert (might be an exclamation mark in a triangle) and when that appears swipe your thumb/finger from the top of the phone screen downwards.  This opens the notification area and you may find that there is an option there asking you to confirm that you wish to switch on PBAP (Phonebook Access Profile).  Once confirmed the upload should take place :undecided:

Brian

Thank you so much - I did as you said and the "swipe" produced a window which said "A device has requested permission to access the phonebook" yes or no. I pressed "yes" and BINGO - it worked perfectly. I much appreciate your advice............... :goodjob: :goodjob2: :ta: :hatoff: :baps: :thanx: :judges:

It is now clear that the average smart phone is a good deal smarter than me 
"ns"

What is good this time is that all the phone numbers have uploaded - home, mobile and business numbers where listed on one phone contact.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Thank heavens I would have laid awake all night mithering about this  :rofl: :rofl: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Well done tho, a point well worth remembering  :goodjob:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Glad to be of assistance! :goodjob:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I am now pleased that I did bother to pair the phone with the car - it works perfectly and the voice control is a considerable safety bonus.

My phone contacts transferred to the car and where there is more than one phone number for a contact - they have all transferred and named as home, mobile or business. When a call is received it displays the callers name on the screen if it is someone in the phone book - if not - it displays the phone number.

The only 'problem' I am left with is that there is an extra phone number in the car phone book that is not in the phone contacts.

It is shown as MSISDN1 and the phone number is 0745.....668 (edited). It mystified me that this extra contact appeared so I deleted the phone and the phone book from the car, paired it again and re-loaded the phone book. Only to find the same contact re-appear. I don't recognise the number and when I dial it I get a message that it is not recognised.

I then deleted the phone again and put my SIM back into the previous phone - paired it with the car and downloaded the address book. The mystery number did not appear.

After much faffing about and head scratching I resorted to my mate Google and discovered that MSISDN1 stands for  "Mobile Subscriber Integrated Services Digital Network-Number" and the phone number is the phone number of the SIM card. This is the number the SIM card uses to send calls and texts - and it is the number that the provider sends calls to.

In my case I changed providers a while back and retained my own number. I assumed that my retained number would be stored on the new SIM card - but that is not the case. The server at the mobile provider communicates with my phone using the SIM phone number (not my actual number) and makes the conversion from one number to the other to communicate with the World using my mobile number in both directions. My new provider gave me a new SIM card and transferred my phone number to their system - rather than to the SIM card itself. 

For some unknown reason when I downloaded my contacts from the new phone to the car (but not my previous phone) - the SIM card number was also downloaded. In most cases this would be your own actual phone number - but not in circumstances like mine

So if you see a mystery number in your car phone book - you will now (perhaps) know why.

I cannot see any way of deleting (or adding) individual phone numbers to the car's phone book - so it will have to stay.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Thanks for the post.

Once I paired my phone and loaded the phone book I was up and running.

I've not had the trouble you have had.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline William Griffiths

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Denbighshire
 Thanks a Million,
I to was having no luck with my phonebook on my i30 Style Nav, Followed your advice
"BINGO"notification appeared on my Samsung galaxy almost immediately touched screen to
accept worked 4 me thanks again
  • i30 style Nav

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks a Million,
I to was having no luck with my phonebook on my i30 Style Nav, Followed your advice
"BINGO"notification appeared on my Samsung galaxy almost immediately touched screen to
accept worked 4 me thanks again

Welcome William, great to hear  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal