i30 Owners Club

steering controls not working correctly on audio preset

larrym · 20 · 6146

Offline larrym

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi

This is a bit of weird one, I am not after a fix as it will be a warranty issue but..
When I listen to my radio preset station number two then press the up button on the steering wheel, it goes down to preset number 1, then if I press it again it goes to 2, then sometimes back to one after another press. But this does not happen when I am already on preset 3 or 4 and so on.

Has any one else had this issue? I think it is radio unit issue and not a steering wheel controls issue
Car:2013 gd elite diesel
  • GD CRDI Hatch 2013

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :welcome: to posting, Larry. Never heard of that but I'd get them to do a unit swap before thinking there's something wrong with the controls. If it was a problem with the control connection, I would expect much more random behaviour. Either way, a swap-out of either would provide the necessary elimination.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline larrym

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks for the welcoming messages.

I am more worried about the dealer damaging a trim while removing the radio.

And disappointed that the car is only 6 days old as an owner (2 month by build date)
  • GD CRDI Hatch 2013

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
You can be suitably paranoid and photograph several angles of the dash area in case you need before and after shots. :cool:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The dealer is not permitted to damage your car in any way. As for the fault, well new cars can have the odd problem, which is why they appear quickly. Let's get it sorted and hopefully, that'll be the last of your worries.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Yes, I have the same problem.  Not in the same preset location however. I found that when I select my preset station in question it actually stops showing the preset number - eg "2" or "3'" etc after a second.  It suggests that it does not recognise it anymore as a preset, so when you use the steering wheel control it starts from preset 1 again, thinking you just scanned for another station. 

I've noticed several issues with presets.  I've usually solved them by sticking a pen in the reset pin hole on top left position of A/V unit.

Offline larrym

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi
My car will be looked at this weekend for first time, but I just want to add that it only occurs on one frequency no matter which preset number it is stored on.

The frequency is FM 96.1 in Sydney. It generally isn’t the strongest of signals to start with depending on the area, but still that no excuse for radio to behave this way.  I will let hy do their work on it first, other wise I will do a factory reset on it myself afterwards if they can not fix the issue.

Also to add, not sure if it is related but the reverse camera freezes for a 1.5  seconds sometimes in operations and sometimes the  screen takes about 10 seconds to boot up on starting the car, showing the Hyundai symbol. I think this radio unit is full of bugs.
  • GD CRDI Hatch 2013

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
How did you go with this problem at the dealer, as I have the same issue?

Offline larrym

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi Pidim

I actually fixed this the issue myself befor I got to the dealer and dealer just kinda didnt bother with the underlying issue.

The problem I found after your tip off is that; if the station is programmed as a frequency (e.g 96.1mhz) but the radion station has a name ("the edge") it will loose it preset location. its like the unit "vlookup" (MS excel reference) the name to find out/remember which preset it is on, other wise, like you said its start from 1 again.

so what I did was, found the station e.g 96.1, wait for the name to appear on the screen, then program it to a (or the) preset.

Thanks
Larry
  • GD CRDI Hatch 2013

Offline Larry

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Have a 2 month old i30 GD, built May13. My steering wheel volume control now and again will stick when operated causing volume to go all the way to max or to min and will remain there even if dash volume control is utilised. Dealership have had it examined and first response was "we can't replicate the problem" (... so go away). My immediate response to that was that I still wanted it fixed. They changed the steering wheel volume control and stated it was fixed but a couple of goes and the problem is still there. Going back in again next week. Sudden full volume whilst driving is concerting towards dangerous. I have told them that if it was the cruise control increase/decrease button responding the same way it could become very interesting. No other problems, love the car.
  • 2013 GD i30 auto petrol hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: Larry..

Shame about that problem (those sort can be really annoying) and embarrassing too if you have friends in the car  :-[ :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My previous big TV (Panasonic 'The One' 69cm CRT) did that years ago. I first suspected IR remote interference because it would just randomly slide to maximum volume and would be unresponsive to the remote control. :confused:

My faultfinding included operating it with the IR receiver completely blocked to eliminate the IR concern. I eventually traced it to compromised integrity of the plastic flexible circuit track used to connect the slide out control drawer to the mainboard.

Once I replaced the film connector with my own improvised keypad/resistor bridge/wiring loom, it was fixed for good and we doubled the life of the TV, right up until we opted for a 55'' LCD. That repair halfway through a 20 year life for a TV was a great investment. :D

Anyway, my story here is to suggest that they may find the fault is in the connection integrity and not necessarily in the control element itself. Think of it as poor earthing leading to blown headlight bulbs. :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Zoltan

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Greenslopes, QLD

• Zoltan the Magnificent!
Reviving an old thread in case anyone else experiences this issue.

I'll try keep it short but give the salient points.

I had the radio presets skipping and took my new 2014 Premium Crdi to Keema Mt Gravatt. Was told 3 other people had same problem and they will wait for firmware update.

Then spoke to Hyundai Australia asking when that firmware update was being released and they said wait 8wks if no update by then, they will replace the whole unit.

Went to Keema and they said they would order a new radio and would call.  3 weeks later, after hearing nothing, I called asking what happening and they was told they had the radio now in stock but made an excuse as to why I wasn't called.

Left the car with Keema Mt Gravatt the day before as I start work too early too drop off on same day. 

They expect you to sign papers for a courtesy vehicle that has the excess at $5000 (BMW is $1250).  But for a mere sum of $50 per day that is reduced to $1500.

Following day while at work I get a call asking if I am going to bring the vehicle in...to which I tell them they already have it.

In the afternoon get a call... apologies as took old radio out and new radio is wrong model...when can you pick vehicle up...correct radio on order.

Arrive at Keema ...give then a serve for f#$ king me around and tell them they are not going to touch my car again.

Ask for my car...its in the street!  Radio on full ball...greasy fingerprints all over centre console...damage to dash albeit minor.

Get them to take photos and they tell have the gaul to tell me Hyundai dont provide tools to remove radio and there is a small margin for error.  I tell them that margin of error doesnt invlove what I have been through with them.

Upshot of this saga is avoid Keema Mt Gravatt.

P.S. Northside locked in the presets to a stronger frequency. ..no skipping..job done 10mins WTF..

• 2014 CRDi Premium Diesel, White

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Thanks for the report. Are you going to have the damaged items replaced, you should IMO and a factual report to Hy Head Office. That is terrible service.

Keema  :disapp: :fum:

Northside  :happydance: :goodjob2:

Offline Zoltan

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Greenslopes, QLD

Have reported to Hyundai Head office. In terms of damage...letting it go as do not want them to touch car again. 

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Have reported to Hyundai Head office. In terms of damage...letting it go as do not want them to touch car again.
Make them replace it. That's a bullshit excuse. Hyundai may not make a tool to remove the radio but 1000 other companies do and if their mechanics (not to be confused with technicians) don't have enough respect for your vehicle to own and use the correct tools then the deserve to be dismissed.
Hell I use a Volvo trim tool. It's the best I've ever found and went to great lengths to acquire a new one when I lost my original. And only $7. I even got the boss to buy one for everyone in the workshop.
Man it gets me cranky to hear things like this about dealers.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Agree with Cruiserfield 100%.

If you are happy with Northside, you should specify to Hy that THEY must do the repair, as you don't want the other mob within Cooee of your car. I would not let this pass. You brought your car in without damage, it's only fair to expect it to be returned in the same condition.  :(

Offline Zoltan

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Greenslopes, QLD

Thanks guys. I had not thought of that approach...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal