i30 Owners Club

Creak developed in Dash - GD i30 Elite

pidim · 42 · 13056

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi all, I have noticed a creaking sound that has reared it's ugly head recently. I have attached a photo highlighting where I believe it's coming from, so I'll outline some characteristics and really hope someone has some further input:

1) Usually happens only about 20mins after I have been driving to/from work. I'm Sydney based so morning and evening temps are very mild this time of the year.

2)  Heating is on from the beginning in each case. Morning temp approx 10 degrees and after work about 15 degrees.

3) I have to say that car drives very quiet other than this creaky sound which seems to come in around 20 mins or so into the drive. It's not necessarily based on bumby roads but I notice it what I think is body flexing (if that happens at all). If I crawl up my driveway without being square on, so right front wheel goes first and then left front goes on, I hear the creaky sound. However, it comes and goes during my drive depending on the road surface.

4)  Road surfaces that tend to bring it on sometimes - especially speed humps and Sydney concrete roads (but not always)

5)  If I rev engine to about 4500 rpm - this can create a resonance that comes through as a vibration in this dash area highlighted also.  However, this does not occur if creak sound is not happening at the same time.

6)  I have tried to jam rubber between dash and windscreen but makes no difference

7)  I have tried to hold down sections of the dash or A pillar moulding but no luck

8) I have tried Silicone spray in dash joins around the general area - no luck.

Love to have your input... because I would have zero chance with a dealer on this.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi pidim,

I was going to suggest silicone spray (but see you have already tried that) :Pout:

It's a tricky one! Could it be travelling from the interior mirror or the glove box lid??
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks Dazzler,

I have tried the mirror and glovebox as well as sunglasses holder, but I'm not having any luck so far... but thanks for your suggestions.

Offline Stinger

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Munno Para, South Australia
    • My Personal Photography page. Feel free to "like"!
I'm experiencing a similar thing sometimes on my Elite GD too. I thought it was just me, I get the creaking sound near the middle console just above the touch screen, seems to be inconsistent for me. Sometimes it creaks sometimes it does not..... hmmm.
Whats this silicone spray you speak of?

Thanks.
  • i30 2013 GD Elite, White.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
How does one apply silicon spray without upsetting the dash or what lies underneath?

I have a similar problem, the service manager was talking about removing bits off the dash until they worked out what was causing it.

I haven't booked it in yet.....If silicone spray can stop it, I might try that.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
This is good that there are others with the same or similar problems because then Hyundai can't deny it.
Please keep us posted.
I think it has possibly been recognized on the forum that whilst the build quality of the Korean-built FD i30s was up to a high standard, it may have slipped a little on the GD. Although it is still a great car.
My car goes in for warranty work in a week and a half's time so I will keep you posted.

• Tertius the i30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I think there is a foam insert between the glass and panel.

I wonder as the temp increase it causes a gap to appear and the otherwise tight fit is no longer there.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
hi eye30, I'm thinking something to do with this also, as the foam between dash and windscreen seems to be there deliberately to keep a space between the two surfaces to avoid such sounds.  I'm still wondering why it also creates a resonance (that same sound) when car  revs up to 4500 rpm. The two sounds are definitely related, as rpm resonance does not occur when the creaking sound is not present.

Offline Top Gun

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I have the same thing, an absolute pain in the A$$.  Its been with the car for a while and I always thought it was between the dash and A-pillar plastics on the drivers side but am wondering if its in behind the dash now.  It only happens when going over a sizeable bump like speed bumps or large bumps in the road.  I've tried shoving foam in between the A-pillar and dash and it probably made it worse if anything so I am at a lost what to do next other than hope it goes away. I was actually starting to wonder if its something loose!?

:confused:
  • GD i30 Elite - Black

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic
My I30 GD Elite Auto, has the same creak that comes when the car goes over speed humps, starts off, brakes and sometimes when going on a rounderabout. Basically when the body flexes.

The dealer requested me to monitor, as he was unable to find a fault. I have now booked in again for 23 rd Oct. It is really annoying to have this creak when driving.

Some Forum members mentioned spraying Silicone Lubricant. Please let me know if it worked out well and if so at what points was the spray introduced around the centre console.
  • Hyundai ! 30 GD Elite Automatic

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Quote from: pidim
, as the foam between dash and windscreen seems to be there deliberately to keep a space between the two surfaces to avoid such sounds.

Pidim,

Did you find the cause?

Was it to do with the foam?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I haven't been able to find what it is yet.  I'm fairly certain it's temperature related, but is not related to bumps. It creaks when the car goes up a driveway at an angle or when one of the front wheels elevates and causes this creak. 

The sound does not go away suddenly, but once the car stops moving, it can linger and lessen to a 'ticking' settling sound after about 1 min.

Any ideas anyone?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Pretty tricky to give an opinion remotely, but is sounds like you're thinking correctly about temperature related. Obviously, the body is flexing when a front wheel lifts and somewhere at a certain temperature a plastic mounting screw or attachment is binding on something. My only advice is to try to listen and narrow your search zone using your ears, then if you're game, open that area and either insulate plastic to plastic contact where possible.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

The sound does not go away suddenly, but once the car stops moving, it can linger and lessen to a 'ticking' settling sound after about 1 min.

Any ideas anyone?

What Phil said... about diagnosing remotely..

It is strange that it continues for that long.. Out of around 28 cars I have had since 1975 I can only think of about three that creaked at all when going diagonally over a driveway ramp and one of those only did it after it had been rebuilt after a major accident.  :undecided: 

None of them continued to make a ticking or similar noise afterwards though.. I have had one or two make a ticking type noise from plastic around the dash in direct sun on VERY hot days though..  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic
I took my car into the dealer last morning to have the Alloy Sports Pedals fitted.

At the same time, took the technician in the car and showed him where the creaks appear to be coming from, as well as the Sat Nav which has started a new habit of beeping twice and getting off the full screen, back to a small screen on the left side and a menu on the right side of the screen. It then had to be tapped on the map to open. It sometimes did not open and had to be started all over again. The technician was pretty clued up and took notes on the run.

The dealership had re tightened and refitted the plastic parts around the console and Sat Nav. All the clips which make up and hold the centre console had been tightened and refitted. This seems to have (So far) cured the creaks. I will be watching if it is a permanent cure.

The problem with the Sat Nav programming appears OK for now. They said that a new update was just in and that had been uploaded into my system.

The Hyundai Alloy sports pedals for the brake and throttle have been fitted. The fitted cost was $117/-. My car is the Auto version GD.

Hope this info helps others having any need to cure the same problems as I had, or even wanting to get the Alloy Pedals. They look pretty good and feels good underfoot.

Offline jonno

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Yokine, Perth WA
We had a rattle in similar area. I know you've checked yours but ours turned out to be rear view mirror. Only comes on in a limited rev range.
  • 2009 i30 SX

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic
I reported on 31st October, that the creaking problem as well as the Sat Nav matter was hopefully resolved.

It was OK for 1 day ! The creaking has returned and I have come to the conclusion that it has something to do with the undue body flexing (Design fault) and the Hard Plastic cowlings around and in the centre console rubbing against each other. I doubt it can be cured.

As for my Sat Nav and touch screen problems, even the new software they installed, worked Ok for 1 day. Now the touch screen has stopped being a touch screen. It hangs up on all the programmes including Radio, Sat Nav, and Media. If I am able to get it into the Map mode, using the steering controls, then it will function till all of a sudden it moves to another screen. It looks like the dealership has damaged the touch screen whilst adjusting the clips holding the centre console area, whilst they were also checking the defects on the centre display, as I had described earlier.

I feel that Hyundai has not trained the service engineers to look after the supplementary electronics. I am hoping to go back to the dealership on Monday and request that they replace my Sat Nav and the whole centre unit. I see a long battle ahead. But will keep my fingers crossed for a good outcome and a proper response from Hyundai.

They did tell me when I was there last week, that a few cars are awaiting replacement Sat Nav Units, as they were defective. May be cheaper to replace than train technicians or repair the part.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Replacement is the way to go, don't try to get your original fixed, it will be a long sad story.

AFA your creaking, it CAN BE FIXED, because no one else on this forum is complaining of having this type of problem. My impression of the i30 body is that it feels like a quite rigid unit as it has a short wheelbase.

If it was my car, I would remove the suspect section and drive the vehicle for a while to see if the creak is gone. Once the area is identified, you can fix it yourself, using extra components (putty / blu-tack, on contact surfaces) to eliminate the creak once and for all, then get back to enjoying your car. I know you shouldn't have to, but it may be the only solution, otherwise it's back to the dealer repeatedly and that can be a PITA.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Creaking and knocking from the dash has also been a common issue on the i40, in that model it is prevalent at the passenger side.  Many i40 owners have had theirs into dealers who have gone as far as complete removal of the dash, "cleaning" the body and dash areas and refitting.  This has worked for a while but the problem has reappeared.  My i40 also developed this noise and having read the various fixes tried unsuccesfully by dealers I applied my own fix by using thick card and feeding it into the area of the knocking enough to be hidden but still separating the dash from the body.

Did this about a year ago and have not heard a creak, rattle or knock since. :happydance:

Shouldn't have to do this on a modern vehicle but there you go, one of the reasons that perhaps Hyundai have fallen behind a little again and people see them as a stepping stone but perhaps not a brand they would buy repeatedly, I know that my next car will probably come from BMW, Mercedes, Audi or hold your breath, Volvo!!  I am very impressed with the V40 as are the entire motoring press!

I would also point out that the GD probably employs the same manufacturing technique as the i40 given that they are of the same era.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Seems those European cars aren't immune from the dreaded dash squeak or creak either, Brian...  :whistler:

:link:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Seems those European cars aren't immune from the dreaded dash squeak or creak either, Brian...  :whistler:

Perhaps, however bet the dealers might actually care....

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
2 words... Silicone spray.

Not on the i40, where the creak comes from is in the same place as the cream cloth headliner, not spraying any solvent on that!

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Already said you have to take the car apart to do that and even dealers who have done this have had limited and variable success! 

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Seems those European cars aren't immune from the dreaded dash squeak or creak either
:link::link:

Perhaps, however bet the dealers might actually care....

:whsaid:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I suspect all dealers would do their best to avoid fixing them. There is lengthy diagnosis time, high risk of failure or worse, making more noises..
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Stinger

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Munno Para, South Australia
    • My Personal Photography page. Feel free to "like"!
I have noticed as it warms up here in Adelaide, the creak has appeared to be gone.
I emptied my glove box and front of my car, put it in the sun and it has not returned...  not sure if it fixed itself over time or if sun helped it... Time will tell i guess.  :victory:
  • i30 2013 GD Elite, White.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal