Creak developed in Dash - GD i30 Elite

pidim · 42 · 13057

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I like it when that happens, hope it stays away for you.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic
I took the car back to the dealership yesterday regarding the non functional Radio/SatNav unit, where the touch screen goes dead often.

They too agreed that the unit was defective and informed me that a new unit would be ordered from Hyundai. That should take around 10 days.

I will let you know how it goes after the part is replaced.

I will watch how the creaks progress once the unit is replaced. It may be that I would have to live with that problem as it is clearly a design and quality issue in the current I30 and possibly the I40 too. May be Hyundai would ensure a that the next generation is manufactured with due attention to NVH and avoid such complaints.

However, if anyone finds a positive home cure, do let me know.
  • Hyundai ! 30 GD Elite Automatic

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Is it possible for some clarification as to how to apply Silicone spray to these areas?  Surely we're not talking about indiscriminate spraying of top of dash around the windscreen area?  What about the mess? How much spraying is required?  Sorry guys never used this stuff before so some detailed advice would be awesome.

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic
My complete Sat Nav, Radio, CD, Media, Reverse Camera unit was replaced as it was beyond help.

The first good news is that the Sat Nav , the touch screen and the other functions, seem to be working properly for the first time, since buying the car in Feb 2013.

The second and very important good news for other I30 GD owners, is that the creaking noise from the centre of the Dash area has stopped. May be when they fitted the new Sat Nav unit and put all the bits and pieces back, things fell into place correctly and securely. Hope this info helps those who are still trying to locate and cure this problem.

The Bad news is that the Maps on the New Sat Nav appears to be ancient. New roads that have been around for around the last 2 years, do not show up at all. I mentioned this to the dealer, and was informed that the Map update is not available, and that they would try to get it and update the system.  Try being the operative word, which means Hyundai are not giving them much support on this matter.

They also mentioned that Hyundai does not have it and it has to be obtained from Navteq or whoever is handling the Maps. This seems strange as Hyundai advertises the Map updates under Hyundai Map Care, but when one wants it done, it cannot be done.  Has anyone got any news on this aspect, as i find that my Samsung Galaxy S3 Phone has a better and more uptodate Mapping system, than what Hyundai is able to provide.  Which goes to show that Hyundai need to wake up and back up their marketing claims and promises.

Thanks and look forward to comments and updates.
  • Hyundai ! 30 GD Elite Automatic

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Totally unsatisfactory to expect that new customers and old loyal customers would accept this level of performance in relation to map updating. Compared to what's offered by aftermarket GPS's this is a woeful performance.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Is it possible for some clarification as to how to apply Silicone spray to these areas?  Surely we're not talking about indiscriminate spraying of top of dash around the windscreen area?  What about the mess? How much spraying is required?  Sorry guys never used this stuff before so some detailed advice would be awesome.

Sorry pidim, Just saw this.. You might be able to get a silicone spray with a straw attached or otherwise i would use rags or scrap paper to mask the dash and front windscreen from the overspray...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi everyone, I realise this is an old topic, but thought I would update to advise that what I thought was a creaking dash where it meets the windscreen is incorrect. Sounds can be very deceiving!

Anyway, this creaking sound is actually coming from the outside. The plastic windscreen gutter that sits at the base of the windscreen is the culprit and comes up at the edges to meet the A-pillar. I sprayed some silcone spray originally which lasted a day or 2 and now I have sprayed heaps of WD40 in the gaps where windscreen meets gutter and A-pillar meets gutter and HAPPY DAYS.  Problem solved and thought I would share this for anyone with a similar issue.  Car is whisper quiet (except for those pesky Hankook tyres supplied with the GDs)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Handy to know if similar creak occurs on others. Thanks. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Thanks for the feedback.  :goodjob2:

Finding those sounds can really make your head spin... :evil:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline aranciataoz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi all, I have noticed a creaking sound that has reared it's ugly head recently. I have attached a photo highlighting where I believe it's coming from, so I'll outline some characteristics and really hope someone has some further input:

1) Usually happens only about 20mins after I have been driving to/from work. I'm Sydney based so morning and evening temps are very mild this time of the year.

2)  Heating is on from the beginning in each case. Morning temp approx 10 degrees and after work about 15 degrees.

3) I have to say that car drives very quiet other than this creaky sound which seems to come in around 20 mins or so into the drive. It's not necessarily based on bumby roads but I notice it what I think is body flexing (if that happens at all). If I crawl up my driveway without being square on, so right front wheel goes first and then left front goes on, I hear the creaky sound. However, it comes and goes during my drive depending on the road surface.

4)  Road surfaces that tend to bring it on sometimes - especially speed humps and Sydney concrete roads (but not always)

5)  If I rev engine to about 4500 rpm - this can create a resonance that comes through as a vibration in this dash area highlighted also.  However, this does not occur if creak sound is not happening at the same time.

6)  I have tried to jam rubber between dash and windscreen but makes no difference

7)  I have tried to hold down sections of the dash or A pillar moulding but no luck

8) I have tried Silicone spray in dash joins around the general area - no luck.

Love to have your input... because I would have zero chance with a dealer on this.

This may or may not help, because Hyundai Aust have yet to test out this final theory for my 2009 Sonata ... I've had this similar problem for the past 2 years (yes, 2 years) - a glass-crack like sound when the body of the car flexes, not just over bumps but sometimes going over slightly bumpy corners. Most annoying thing was that I could not work out a pattern - while it happened more on cold days, it was not definitive.

HA (via Hyundai dealership) spent a week earlier this year (under wty) removing the dashboard and audio-testing the root cause of the sound. Unfortunately, the crack-like sound returned 2 days after work. Therefore we've been focussing on the INSIDE of the car so far. The dealership was very proactive, asking me to keep a log of the noise and when/what climate (hot/cold). Again, my logs over 3 weeks showed no pattern of weather causing the problem ... or so I thought ....

*** Possible BREAKTHROUGH *** I read on a Hyundai forum in America that many users found a similar problem, and for some it turned out to be the PLASTIC HOUSING on the OUTSIDE of the car, at the base of the windscreen (basically the housing for the firewall/wipers). I initially dismissed this, but get this ....

... whilst trying to plan a week for Hyundai to bring my car in for the next round of testing, there was this BLOODY COLD LONG **WET** WEEK in Sydney during August (some of you would remember this), of which I drove the car almost every day, and NOT A SINGLE CRACK-LIKE creak noise all week!

On days when the sun would shine again for a few hours after a deluge ... yep, the crack like noise reappeared! (regardless of hot or cold, so long as the outside of the car was dry).

So .... this can only mean one thing (for me anyway) - I strongly believe the moisture from the rain obviously has an effect of quietening (lubricating?) something on the outside of the car - this plastic housing at the base of the windscreen near the wipers on the outside of the car, may be rubbing against the windscreen in some way. I've reported this to the dealership, and this will be their next plan of attack.

As for you .... you may want to try looking in this area too ... I believe the Americans ended up slipping some Velcro between the plastic housing and the windscreen and it stopped the noise.

Basically, the noise may well not be inside the car ....
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 06:00:50 by aranciataoz »

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
thanks for your detailed report, but as you can see earlier in this feed, I have found the identical issue with my i30.  Anyway, I've sold the problem with heaps of WD40 lubricant - it's been whisper quiet ever since. I also had the same confusion, ie why was it quiet when it rained? I thought it had something to do with humidity. However, mine did not creak on very hot days - only around 20-24C.

Offline aranciataoz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hey Pidim ... silly me ... in my haste I didn't read your earlier thread ... I'm just getting back into the thick of things forum wise.

Your confirmation has encouraged me to do the same thing ie bugger bringing it into Hyundai.

I'll update!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal