i30Dave · 40 · 13741

Offline tk421

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• i30 SR Petrol Manual - Melbourne Australia
Any chance of sharing how you did it  :D

Sure. It's not that difficult.

Changing the startup screen is in the manual. I uploaded the splashw.bmp image file (see below) into the gps root directory using Explorer (My computer recognises the GPS as a storage device when i connect it to the computer). You can also copy images to the 'photos' folder on the GPS and use one of those as the startup image through the GPS preferences menu (preferences > start up preferences).

splashw.bmp (converted to a .jpg):

Through explorer, i browsed through the GPS folders and found that all the car icons are in the '\art\cars' directory. I copied one of the car icons onto my computer, modified it in photoshop, then copied the modified image back onto the GPS.
The red around the car is necessary. The GPS will make the 'red' transparent when the image appears on the GPS screen.

Both images 'were' .bmp files, but photobucket converted them to .jpg files when i uploaded them for 'net viewing. If people are interested, i can try to upload the actual .bmp files for people to use as they wish.
NOTE: The .bmp files are MUCH cleaner than the disgusting converted .jps that photobucket butchered.

Anyway, that's how it's done on the tomtom go 730, i don't know if it will work on other units.

Good Luck!

Tim.  :wink:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Don't think my Mio C520 has a start up screen as such.. but I might try the Car Icon bit...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 130MAN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Thanks tk421.

I got the car know the startup :mrgreen:

Offline tk421

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

I haven't taken any pics of the 'SR for a while, but no matter, the WA police took this one of me... and it only cost $150!

Tim  :'(

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

... the WA police took this one of me... and it only cost $150!..

Oops  :rolleyes:

How far over the limit were you?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
So Aussie polis have no real criminals to catch either then.  Must be trained by UK force :wink: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Maybe the picture is deceptive but 45mph doesn't seem particularly excessive for a dual carriageway.

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
So Aussie polis have no real criminals to catch either then.  Must be trained by UK force :wink: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

No real crims LEFT, the UK sent theirs all here once though...

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
wouldn't you think for that sort of money it would be a better picture,ask for a refund. :exclaim: :lol:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline tk421

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

I was doing 71km/hr (44mph) in a 60km/hr (37mph) zone. I wasn't going as fast as they alleged, but i'm not going to bother arguing the point.

Lorian,
You're right. In Victoria it would definitely be an 80km/hr (50mph) zone. There's a lot of inconsistency between Australian states when it comes to the setting of speed limits.

For WA drivers;
Exceed the speed limit between 10 and 19km/hr and it's a $150 fine and 2 demerit points.

Tim  :wink:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal