i30 Owners Club

Remote / Keyless entry intermittently not working

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Your clues are very good: interference at the home site. What has begun operating at the time the problem started? Neighbour's broadband? Ham radio operator? New phone tower?

Wireless Intruder Alarms etc can also trigger the problem  :)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Zigbees, Video senders,wireless Alarms, weather stations, garage door openers, remote lights, external thermometers.

Typically it's going to be within 100 feet of the car.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Zigbees, Video senders,wireless Alarms, weather stations, garage door openers, remote lights, external thermometers.

Typically it's going to be within 100 feet of the car.

For me, there is nothing new in the house which should cause this. But can't vouch for 3 houses close by.

Just strange not to happen in 3 years and then bang, happening every few days.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
I had this problem a week or so ago, when I pressed the unlock button on the key I got the lights flashing dimly but the doors didn't open. Tried spare key with same result. I then opened the door manually with the key, alarm went off but stopped a few seconds after I started the engine.

Obviously I checked this forum and this answer seemed the most likely -

When I had this problem on my 2009 model  i30 Estate it was due to the ignition switch not releasing the internal tumblers to enable remote locking. Always worse in hot weather. Puzzled me for ages until one day I noticed after I removed the ignition key there was a click inside the switch. Next time the remote didnt work I reinserted the ignition key and jiggled it to free the tumblers the Remote then worked. No click no remote. Improved reliability for a while by lubricating the switch very lightly with PTFE based light oil but Ignition Switch was subsequently replaced under warranty.

It hasn't happened to me since fortunately, though if it does I'll try WD40 or graphite on the ignition lock.  If it happens a lot I'll ask that they change it whilst I still have the guarantee.

It could possibly be interference, though I'd thought they improved this aspect of remote locking since my last car - which I could find unlocked when I returned to it - but only in a couple of locations.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I had this problem a week or so ago, when I pressed the unlock button on the key I got the lights flashing dimly but the doors didn't open. Tried spare key with same result. I then opened the door manually with the key, alarm went off but stopped a few seconds after I started the engine.

Obviously I checked this forum and this answer seemed the most likely -

When I had this problem on my 2009 model  i30 Estate it was due to the ignition switch not releasing the internal tumblers to enable remote locking. Always worse in hot weather. Puzzled me for ages until one day I noticed after I removed the ignition key there was a click inside the switch. Next time the remote didnt work I reinserted the ignition key and jiggled it to free the tumblers the Remote then worked. No click no remote. Improved reliability for a while by lubricating the switch very lightly with PTFE based light oil but Ignition Switch was subsequently replaced under warranty.

It hasn't happened to me since fortunately, though if it does I'll try WD40 or graphite on the ignition lock.  If it happens a lot I'll ask that they change it whilst I still have the guarantee.

It could possibly be interference, though I'd thought they improved this aspect of remote locking since my last car - which I could find unlocked when I returned to it - but only in a couple of locations.

The proof for that would be that the key ALWAYS works in a different location, without fail. That would prove interference, not the keylock tumblers.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Anyone considered the mobile phone in your pocket may cause interference
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Berber

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham
Nothing to do with the location you are, when using the remote/s? Near a radio station transmitter or anything?

Sounds like it is related to the radio switch over, but could be just coincidence... :undecided:

I had the same issue with my Civic. It turned out to be the location where I was parked. Moved it a few yeards away at either side and it was fine.
  • i30 CRDi Sport

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yep. If we had the right bandwidth in the design of ours eyes and could visualise the crazy mess of electromagnetic radiation patterns, we'd easily see hot spots everywhere probably a few metres apart. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline TimH

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      The Ponds, Sydney
My 6 month old Crdi suffers the same intermitant non working key fob. Solved each time by opening any door and closing it again. Happens about once a month.
  • I30 crdi tourer

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal