i30 Owners Club

USB/AUX connection problem

L30N · 5 · 7352

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wallsend, North Tyneside, UK

• Wallsend, UK
Hi, discovered that audio devices no longer operate when connected to the port located under the centre armrest. Have tried a few things with the following results:

iPhone or iPod connected via Hyundai iPod cable - tracks display and 'play' on radio screen, can navigate playlists etc as normal but no sound and doesn't charge.

USB stick containing MP3 tracks - not recognised at all, not even AUX connected.

MP3 player connected to 3.5mm jack - radio screen shows AUX connected but no proper sound except hissing, song can be heard very faintly if volume turned to max.

Radio and CD work fine.

At first I thought it was the 3.5mm audio but that doesn't explain the USB stick or the iPhone not charging. Was thinking of removing and replacing the unit but wondered if anyone had done this before?

Cheers
Leon

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Looks like your on the right track. Only other test you could do is pull it out and check for poor connections at the USB and Radio. If no problems it has to be either the USB or Radio.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline timmmmm

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Central Coast NSW
Hi L30N, did you get anywhere with this? I have a similar problem, except i don't get anything when I use the centre console connections.

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wallsend, North Tyneside, UK

• Wallsend, UK
Hi timmmmm, round in circles I'm afraid.  Today I tried fitting a replacement AUX/USB unit I bought off ebay. After unsuccessfully attempting to remove the centre console, I managed to lever the old AUX unit out with a screwdriver and connected the 'new' one. Alas the end result was exactly the same as originally posted. Next I am going to try another iPod cable which I don't expect to work as ordinary devices don't play through AUX. The ebay purchase came as part of the 12v/cigarette lighter panel so when I get some time I may relocate the USB connector to underneath the radio. I suspect there may be a problem with the cable running through the middle of the car next to the handbrake, presumably the connector pins carry different functions ie audio/data/power.

Offline timmmmm

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Central Coast NSW
I tried to remove the centre console once too, but as usual i only had 5 minutes to do it, and ended up not getting anywhere.

I was thinking though, over time my radio reception seems to have deteriorated, and I'm starting to think maybe the head unit is playing up? Maybe capacitors or something playing up in there?

In any case, I'm gonna have to get in and fix it, because going back to a single cd is killing me, even if it is an mp3 cd with a hundred or songs.

If I find anything, I'll certainly post back here...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal