i30 Owners Club

HID (Xenon) kit problem

arash · 8 · 2705

Offline arash

• 1st Gear
hello everybody ... 2 days ago i installed HID kit on my 2015 Hyundai i30 as fog lights.the problem is: whenever i'm turning on the fog lights my player ( when reading USB) stop and after 3 seconds playing again.
what do u think about this problem?
  • 2015 hyundai i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hid is drawing too much current and making th USB reset is my best guess!  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
We've recently had this problem discussed. My feeling is that a smoothing capacitor will need to be incorporated into the usb power supply to deliver power while the hid's do their thing. It would need to be a fairly large value cap.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline arash

• 1st Gear
Tnx for your answers..but two questions...is it bad for ECU or player or even whole car's electrical parts or just restarting USB reading.??
If the cause of this problem is lack of voltage..why just happening for USB..and not even smallest interior lights affecting.they are not even getting weak.
At the end if it's only affects on USB reading , ok not a big deal we can stop USB,turning on the Xenon bulbs and play USB forever until finding some solution.
But if its affecting on whole electrical parts ,it's not worth and better to switch them to original bulb asap.
((really apologize because of my bad English)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 05:34:02 by arash »
  • 2015 hyundai i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I really don't know the answer to your questions. The usb is designed to run on only 5 volts as used in PC etc, so I'm assuming that in the wiring there is a circuit that regulates the 14v+ from battery when charging, to a nice safe 5 volts. There must be components that can't handle the current drain as the HID's are energized. For some reason, it appears not to happen in every I30. A visit to an auto electrician may be your best bet.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
The same thing happens to my i30, as I also have an HID kit installed.

I would love to know if the factory HID kit maybe installs a piece of equipment somewhere that smooths out the power surge to the ballasts?
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline arash

• 1st Gear
I found the solution and fixed it...
Most probably it is because of a bad connection in the ballast(if u bought some fake product like i did)
Today i opend front bumper and figured out that one of the ballast has fallen down and the connection was not in good situation..i fixed that and the problem solved...but at the end opend the bulbs and replaced them with my original OSRAM bulbs and removed the HID kit.
I prefer to buy original high quality product next time.
  • 2015 hyundai i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal