i30 Owners Club

I30 Active standard tail lights --> N line LED tail lights

NOV4K · 26 · 4635

Offline NOV4K

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Western Australia
Hi guys I'm new on here but I've had my i30 for about a year.
I wanted to see if it's possible to replace the standard tail lights on the newer i30's to the N line LED tail lights design? They are basically the same car just different features and exteriors. Mine is a Active GDi i30 2017.
But if it is a thing, does a mechanic have to replace it or is there a DIY eBay way of doing it to save some money?
  • I30 Active

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :welcome: Novak.
I'd have to see a side-by-side comparison but if they look the same in shape, I'd say it's something you can swap out without fear. :winker:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline NOV4K

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Western Australia
They are quite similar I think it's just replacing the halogen lights with the LED but I feel like there is a difference in technical connection but I guess we don't know until opening the actual tail light and seeing how it's set up  :goodjob:
  • I30 Active

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If you can at least get a look at one, even from as dealer, cast a good eye over the connectors. In any case, we're talking delivery of 12VDC, and simple splicing will get you there under the worst of circumstances. :victory:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome NovakWA,

I'm sure a couple of our members have sourced LED tail light from the PD SR (predecessor to the N-Line) second hand online or via wrecker's yards. They are prohibitively expensive retail from a dealer (over $1000 a pair I suspect)

Now I'm not sure whether the tail lights got changed much, if at all between the SR and N-line but I suspect they would still be the same dimensions.

Pretty sure they are plug and play too (so easy DIY mod if you can find some at the right price) As Gonz says says worst case scenario a bit of splicing would sort it anyway..

I really liked the look of my SR tail lights!  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
They'll be plug and play just the same as the GD model swap, as Dazz mentioned they're expensive...retail at about 3K.

eBay has a Korean seller KDM :link: OEM Genuine N Line LED Tail Lights Lamp LH+RH 4Pcs For Hyundai i30 | eBay at a $1035 for a full new set that's good value.

You might find some at a wreckers, they tend to sell them at around $200 per piece x 4 = $800

Offline NOV4K

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Western Australia
Thanks so much guys! I found a wrecker in QLD with a SR. They are offering $600 for the full set of 4 tail lights so might take up that offer as it's such a good bargain!

I just need to be sure that these tail lights will fit and operate in my car before I purchase them and get them sent over via delivery.  :sweating:
  • I30 Active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks so much guys! I found a wrecker in QLD with a SR. They are offering $600 for the full set of 4 tail lights so might take up that offer as it's such a good bargain!

I just need to be sure that these tail lights will fit and operate in my car before I purchase them and get them sent over via delivery.  :sweating:

Great! I'm 95 % certain, but don't sue me if I'm wrong. Hopefully he packs them really well.  :fingers:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@NovakWA if you can pop one of the lights off to take a photo of the plug, or get the wrecker to send you a photo to confirm...I’m 99% positive they’ll be the same connection as they’re still half halogen like the previous GD model.

Great price too :goodjob:

Offline NOV4K

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Western Australia
Yeah definitely! I'll pop a piece open and see what it looks like. I did take a look at the i30 owner's manual on how to get them off and it's got both the halogen and LED instructions and its basically the same! The images look super similar I'll post the images below and see if you guys see any discrepancies (maybe I'm blind haha)   :crazy2: :lol:

• I30 Active

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Unfortunately those pictures don’t show the harness connection plug.

The wrecker will have some standard lights there as well I’d assume, ask him to confirm if the plug socket on the back of the light housing is the same as the LED type, I’m sure they will be.

Offline NOV4K

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Western Australia

Offline NOV4K

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Western Australia
UPDATE: So just sent the pictures to the wrecker of my tail lights. It looks like the plug in is the same but need to make sure he's got the same plug in. Can anyone confirm just by looking at the pictures? I didn't end up opening the plugs (safety reasons), I normally get my lights replaced by a professional (I know how to do it, I just don't trust myself to handle things like that)  :crazy2:

• I30 Active

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If that's a comparison of incandescent and LED, they look the same. :victory:

Offline NOV4K

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Western Australia
Haha no the pictures are my halogen tail lights. I don't know what LED light plug ins look like. The wrecker hasn't check in with me yet. :victory:
  • I30 Active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm sure they will be fine.. mind you I'll eat my words if they are Novak'in good..  :snigger:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The plug that needs to be compared is where the harness goes through that grommet in the body panel behind the large rear side light (first picture), pull the grommet out to access the main plug.

The setup looks exactly like the GD design so I'm fairly confident they'll be a simple plug and play :goodjob2:

Offline NOV4K

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Western Australia
Ah ok! So I pull the plug out of the body so the tail light detaches? I'm not touching the actual tail light plugs just the one plug that connects the tail light to the car. Just making sure I'm doing this right sorry just need clarification!  :goodjob2:

I used to own a very old car and it was so much simpler haha I was able to access tail lights from inside the actual trunk so all this is so new to me  :D
  • I30 Active

Offline NOV4K

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Western Australia
@Dazzler haha nice my car's name is Novak haha after the tennis player  :victory:
  • I30 Active

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Ah ok! So I pull the plug out of the body so the tail light detaches? I'm not touching the actual tail light plugs just the one plug that connects the tail light to the car. Just making sure I'm
Correct, you'll detach the harness from behind that grommet, the bulbs and attached cabling on your OEM halogen housings don't get used in the swap over.

The new LED lights will have there own plug - cable and grommet to simply replace what you've removed :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@Dazzler haha nice my car's name is Novak haha after the tennis player  :victory:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.. glad you got the humour.. I like the Joker, amazing player and seems like a good guy.  :goodjob:

Offline NOV4K

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Western Australia
Alright so I have the main plugs pictured down below! It's a very simple plug in so I'm praying the LED plug fits into the body

• I30 Active

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Now make sure that bit of loom is included when you get them from the wreckers! :D

Offline NOV4K

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Western Australia
Yes definitely! I'm making sure the wrecker sends me pictures of the plugs and make sure it's all intact before shipping off  :winker:
  • I30 Active

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yes, they're still the same connection used like the earlier model so new LED's will plug straight in, the wiring loom should be pre-attached making a simple plug and play upgrade :goodjob2:

Offline shanesimmo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Same connection as my PD i30 SR Premium so I assume will plug straight in.
  • 2017 MY18 PD i30 SR Premium (White)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal