i30 Owners Club

ESP turns off, followed by EPS light

Nats · 3 · 1283

Offline Nats

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
I recently had a shaky steering, and then had the ESP turn off, followed quickly by the EPS light coming on and a loss of power steering.

Took to a mechanic and they said it was a tire out of round, replaced and aligned and said that was what caused it. Drove fine for a month, then the same thing has happened twice in 2 days.

Wondering if it could be a simple steering angle sensor reset after the alignment? Am dreading that it might be the steering column. Anyone else had something like this happen?

It’s a 2010 Hyundai i30 petrol.
  • 2010 Hyundai i30

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Hi, what is the condition of the steering coupler? Is there any knocking of the steering wheel when changing direction back and forth at low speeds? The EPS motor shuts down when it gets too hot, If your coupler is bad and the wheels force the EPS motor to do more work, That could be a reason, although it is not the only reason. With electric power steering make sure the battery is in good condition.

Offline Nats

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
I actually had that part replaced about 8 months ago due to the knocking sound.. but not once did the EPS turn off that time.
I took it to my usual mechanic today who scanned it and then re-calibrated after the scan showed steering angle sensor abnormal. Seemed to clear the issue, fingers crossed!
  • 2010 Hyundai i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal