i30 Owners Club

Should we be worried about DPF issues ? (and buy a petrol instead of diesel)

philj · 19 · 3113

Offline philj

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Reading, Berkshire
Hi all,

First time post - be gentle :)

My wife has a diesel Peugeot 307 and it's time to replace and we've decided on an I30 but are deliberating on diesel or petrol.

Having done some sums (purchase cost, resale value, tax, fuel) it's about even either way financially over 5 years but she likes the driving characteristics (torque) of diesel so would prefer that.

...but then we heard about DPF.

She's a district nurse in the uk so does 8-10 miles (20 mins) to work (mainly down a free flowing dual carriageway), 10-12 short 1-3 mile trips around a village during the day,  then 8-10 miles back home (mainly down a free flowing dual carriageway again).  No city driving/rarely stuck in town traffic.  8-10k miles year. 

So question is: with this type of driving is she likely to get DPF issues on the diesel I30 (e.g. warning lights every 2 weeks that will drive her mad) so better to play it safe with the petrol or is there little to worry about unless she's stuck in a city going nowhere fast ?

Thanks for any advice.

Phil
  • I30 Active 1.4 Lt Petrol

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Phil.

:wttc:

Unless she will be doing longer trips now and then i will suggest to get the petrol with all those short trips.

I do 2x25 km a day and sometimes the DPF doesn't finish before I stop the car, hence it will try again on the next trip.

I think you'll regret the diesel with her driving pattern.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
That driving style actually sounds ok to me, for diesel usage. It's the kind of trip that diesel taxis do around here.

There are no warning lights when/if the DPF has to be force-regenerated :D

:welcome:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
As an owner of 2 Diesel's, I'd say go petrol this time. Your government is becoming less friendly to Diesel engined vehicles and who knows what other levies / restrictions may be applied in the future.  :Pout:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I also love the diesel torque (but no DPF in Aussie i30 yet)

Yes, I think Phil and Henning are right, play it safe with the Petrol (provided she is happy after a test drive)

The 1.6 GDi motor is a good thing once you realise you need to rev it a bit more than the diesel or larger petrol.

The GDi is proving to be very economical in my wife's new tourer..  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I have owned three i30 1.6 manual diesels but have now changed to a 1.6 petrol KIA. The reason being we are both in our 70's and found getting in and out of the low seating position i30 getting difficult. The present car is tall and we find it easy.

I changed to petrol because the DPF drags down the fuel economy each time it regenerates - which is about every 250 miles. Also - the writing is on the wall for diesels in Europe because governments now realise that nitrous emissions are a greater health hazard than Co2. The motor manufacturers are all focussing on petrol hybrids, fuel cell, small turbo petrol engines and electric cars.  We will soon see diesel cars penalised with higher fuel prices and/or taxes.

My 3 i30s averaged between 49 mpg and 53 mpg overall for the life of each car - the current petrol car has averaged 43.2 mpg over its first 12000 miles and will easily average 48 mpg on a 200 mile round motorway trip.  Around town - especially when my wife uses it for short shopping trips, it does about 35 mpg.  I would expect the i30 with the lower body compared with my Venga to perform slightly better.

At first I missed the torque from the diesel - but no longer do so. The 1.6 petrol is quiet and very smooth with plenty of power and will perform adequately if you use the slick gearbox appropriately.

It's your decision - my only advice is for your wife to have the longest test drive possible in the petrol and the diesel - you may well  be surprised.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I also love the diesel torque (but no DPF in Aussie i30 yet)

Yes, I think Phil and Henning are right, play it safe with the Petrol (provided she is happy after a test drive)

The 1.6 GDi motor is a good thing once you realise you need to rev it a bit more than the diesel or larger petrol.

The GDi is proving to be very economical in my wife's new tourer..  :goodjob:

Surferdude must be doing cartwheels  :lol:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I am a diesel fan but I understand the arguments presented here.
I think I will keep my (non-DPF) i30 for the long-term.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
well as no first hand experience with a DPF diesel, but having owned two i30 Diesel Manual's & still driving a Diesel ( 4x4 )
as well as having driven a new Hyundai Elantra 1.8 auto petrol for one & a half months covering about 3,000k i still prefer Diesel manual but the petrol auto was fine to drive , only thing i did not like was having my foot on the brake all the time to keep the car still in traffic & the short distance between refill's , always seem to need refuelling ,with my i30 diesel manuals used to go 1,100k between refill's the petrol is a lot less than that .
are you looking t auto or manual?

Offline philj

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Reading, Berkshire
Thanks for all the replies.

We don't seem to have had anyone doing similar journeys with a dpf'd diesel  that has had no problems, but likewise haven't had anyone saying they've had major problems.

Interestingly the sales chap at hyundai had never heard of dpfs.   

In general though sounds like best to play it safe this time and go petrol (manual 1.4).

Now just need to put best poker face on and get haggling.  :)

Phil

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Time to go to a dealer that has heard of this in diesels.

Seems product specification isn't his strong point.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

In general though sounds like best to play it safe this time and go petrol (manual 1.4).

Sounds like a plan...  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

:scared:  What else doesn't he know about the product he's selling...  :question:

He, as a salesman should be the one questioning your driving needs and be able to tell you whether to buy petrol or diesel.

Very disappointing...  :disapp: :disapp:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks for all the replies.

We don't seem to have had anyone doing similar journeys with a dpf'd diesel  that has had no problems, but likewise haven't had anyone saying they've had major problems.

Phil

Hi Phil , i would say that is a good move as small motor & manual trans as long as car weight light too should get good economy . all it has to do is transport your wife safely & reliable.
i'm sure the 1.4 i30 will do all that.

Offline philj

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Reading, Berkshire
For completeness... :)

Ordered the 1.4 petrol "Active" in white on the Infinity deal (discount for NHS staff and quite a few other companies ) with 3 year service plan.

Pick up in 10 days hopefully.  Happy wife.   

For reference... I can recommend Usman @ Hyundai in Burnham (near Maidenhead) if anyone is local - no big sell/pressure or BS.

Thanks all.

-Phil

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheers for the update Phil..  :goodjob: (assume she had a test drive and liked it?)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal