Diesel versus Petrol - ?

AlanHo · 34 · 5885

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My current car is petrol - but my previous 4 cars were all diesel. Ten months into ownership of a petrol car I have noticed that the majority of problems posted on forums are with Diesels.
There are quite a few problems mentioned - especially problems  with ISG and DPF savaging economy, a few about the DMF and some about dirty fuel or water in the fuel filter.  Limp home mode seems to be a diesel speciality.

In the UK the difference in price between diesel and petrol fuels is steadily getting smaller and there is evidence that for mixed motorway and town driving the diesel fuel consumption is not as great as people anticipate. For sure - on long motorway runs, diesel has a great advantage in fuel consumption - but for town and mixed journeys the difference is much closer.

Hence - if we chuck in the number of diesel problems reported on the forum - I am beginning to think I made a wise choice.

Responses on a postcard please - expressed in respectful terms. I'll now get 'me' coat and leave you to it.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: AlanHo
I'll now get 'me' coat and leave you to it.

That's akin to throwing a grenade over the fence :lol:

I'm just loving the response of my current diesel engine (and previous FD model)... means a lot more to me than either economy, servicing costs or potential problems. The torque simply blows my mind. Not something experienced (by me) in any petrol car I've owned, apart from possibly my XJ6, 732i or Scorpio Ghia 4x4.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
No problems in 5 years of driving Firty.
Whatyoutalkinabout, Willis! :D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
You're a bit late with that grenade Alan. Nov 5 is already in the past.

Quote from Alan.

"there is evidence that for mixed motorway and town driving the diesel fuel consumption is not as great as people anticipate."

Yes, I agree, thanks for the balanced statement. :mrgreen:

I don't have DMF or DPF, so I'm very happy with our selection. Like all things, it depends on the type of driving and for us with freeway driving necessary quite often, the Diesel is ideal.

I can tell you, that having driven a variety of petrol engined cars up the hills around here, they are sadly lacking in grunt @ 2.5 to 3.5 k rpm, just where you need it. That covers various makes on offer these days, too. The only thing that will stop me buying Diesel in future will be DPF, or death, whichever comes first.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think a diesel makes more sense in Australia while you can still get some without a DPF. Plus if you live outside the bigger cities you get plenty of opportunity to enjoy the greater economy.

On the other hand my experience with larger engine Hybrids shows you can get similar economy and torque with more refinement and they are reliable too...

From my experience the best overall drivetrain of anything I have had or driven is a Petrol Hybrid with CVT transmission...

All things being considered my last hybrid had an amazing combination of economy/refinement/driveability and reliability.

The 1.6 litre CRDi motor is absolutely brilliant for its size and my current 3.6 V6 is very smooth and powerful, but the 2012 Camry hybrid had a better overall drivetrain than both of them.

Edit: Before Beerman or anyone else says "why did you trade it then?"

If only I could take the drivetrain out of the hybrid and put it into my Calais V.... I would have the perfect car in looks / performance and economy!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
my Calais V.... I would have the perfect car in looks / performance and economy!
Bloody sacrilege. :rolleyes: :lol:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Gee, Alan, I always thought your reporting was totally unbiased.  :lol:
But now you've gone over to the dark side, they're infiltrating your thought processes too.  :Shocked:
Come back to the light side quickly, or you might be forever lost.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Alan's right.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Wow, we have bias in Australia too.   :rofl:
Yep. And mistaken posters (oilers).  :P
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Surferdudes right.

Wow, we have bias in Australia too.   :rofl:
I'm petrol biased too. Nothing against Diesels they are good and fun in the right vehicles (my opinion) but prefer petrol engines.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
"Horses for courses" isn't it ?  If I commuted 60 miles a day or did regular long runs, maybe with steep hills then I'd get a diesel.  If there were still diesels without DPF in the UK then maybe I'd get one - but they are more complicated and seem to go wrong slightly more often.

As I use the car mainly for local shopping and social purposes, with few journeys over four miles - I'd have been an absolute idiot to get a diesel with a DPF. :)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If I was expecting to do a lot of towing I'd choose a diesel but for everything else petrol would be my preference of choice.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
It seems that us persistent petrol people have projected our personal preferences perfectly and outnumbered the oily brigade.   :happydance: :goodjob: :victory:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
If I was expecting to do a lot of towing I'd choose a diesel but for everything else petrol would be my preference of choice.

The modern petrol turbo engines will do the towing just as good as the diesels and even with the same fuel economy.

On a caravan forum I also frequent quite a few have bought the new Skoda Octavia 1,4 TSI 140 HP / 250 Nm @ 1500-3500.

They have done trips very similar to our summer vacations, ca 4000 km towing ca 1400 kg and with a petrol turbo using only 9 L/100 which is the same as I can get in my Diesel.. :exclaim: 
They even claim that everyday driving will get them around 5,5L/100 and my diesel do around 5,0L/100.

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I have to agree with Alan in 'LITTLE ENGLAND'/Oops The UK...    There is little advantage to diesel and I would have been seriously out of pocket over the last few years had I gone down that route.

In Awstraialiaa where to roads go in a straight line for a thousand miles at one go, obviously diesels prolly make sense.

Yeah I know, slight exaggeration.

well said Alan, now get another grenade outa the bucket and chuck another at um  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Diesel's are legislatively doomed over there in the big smoke. Where as over here in the wide open spaces, a Diesel comes into it's own, I mean, 30 miles and you're in another crowded country speaking a foreign lingo.  :snigger:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
30 miles and you're in another crowded country speaking a foreign lingo.  :snigger:
Murray Bridge? :eek:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Love Diesel Alan, i drive a Diesel down here & a petrol in Sydney, the pretrol good but have to re fuel too much for my liking. also cost of diesel seems to have dropped here.
but we understand, next we will here Hyundai have all the problems its Kia thats reliable, just funny you lift the Hyundai diesel hood & you got Kia Power.

Offline mcmonte

• 2nd Gear
  • My H is missing!

• au Australia
      Launceston

• Maybe I might possibly consider thinking about it.
On a caravan forum I also frequent quite a few have bought the new Skoda Octavia 1,4 TSI 140 HP / 250 Nm @ 1500-3500.
This, Asterix is the answer, and it's the difference to the i30 NA 2.0L (or 1.8) petrol. Those engines don't achieve their peak torque until much higher revs.
I'm sure the Skoda 1.4 is a twin-charged (SC & turbo) unit. So the torque spread available will make it easier to save fuel, ie you don't need to rev the bejeesus out of it. The Alfa multiair engines are similarly flexible.

• Honda

Offline mcmonte

• 2nd Gear
  • My H is missing!

• au Australia
      Launceston

• Maybe I might possibly consider thinking about it.
I think a diesel makes more sense in Australia while you can still get some without a DPF. Plus if you live outside the bigger cities you get plenty of opportunity to enjoy the greater economy.

If only I could take the drivetrain out of the hybrid and put it into my Calais V.... I would have the perfect car in looks / performance and economy!
Here's what ya do:
1. Get thyself to a Jag wrecker.
2. Buy the 3.0 TD from the XF (Jag, not Falcon!).
3. Hack/fab as required to swap it in.
4. Beer o'clock.  :victory:

OR

Sacrifice some boot space for an LPG conversion  :cool:
  • Honda

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
This, Asterix is the answer, and it's the difference to the i30 NA 2.0L (or 1.8) petrol. Those engines don't achieve their peak torque until much higher revs.
I'm sure the Skoda 1.4 is a twin-charged (SC & turbo) unit. So the torque spread available will make it easier to save fuel, ie you don't need to rev the bejeesus out of it. The Alfa multiair engines are similarly flexible.

Yes, Hyundai is sticking in the brakes.!
They need to start offer Turbocharged petrol engines if they want to keep up with the competitors.

The 1,4TSI 140 HP is not twin-charged, only single turbo:

:link: Volkswagen TSI Engines Explained - autoevolution
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Here's what ya do:
1. Get thyself to a Jag wrecker.
2. Buy the 3.0 TD from the XF (Jag, not Falcon!).
3. Hack/fab as required to swap it in.
4. Beer o'clock.  :victory:

OR

Sacrifice some boot space for an LPG conversion  :cool:

Oh you badge snob LOL
i read Jag now owned by TATA that Indian company
so are they …. or do they have more curry ?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Yes, Hyundai is sticking in the brakes.!
They need to start offer Turbocharged petrol engines if they want to keep up with the competitors.

The 1,4TSI 140 HP is not twin-charged, only single turbo:

:link: Volkswagen TSI Engines Explained - autoevolution

Asta your probably right about that ,
just a good friend i worked with had a 50th birthday & at the party he was telling me his new VW TSI was very thirsty, & he moved from an old Toyota V6 so i'm wondering myself.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
If i ever went back to petrol i'd miss the fun of the torque, doing the legal speed limit at 2100rpm on the motorway, and the fact i can generally do my 80 mile airport run with barely a gear change.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
You all know that I am an advocate of petrol for the type of driving that I do and for all the reasons outlined by Alan.  I do agree however that Hy/Kia need to take the step forward into the next generation of engine by charging them, the VW group engines are proof that you don't have to be stuck around the 130bhp mark using an extra 200cc!  I suspect though that this will further elevate their costs OR reduce the gadget list accordingly and put them in [more] direct competition with the marques who have established a firm foothold in the various segments already.  Perhaps that is one of the Korean problems, there is always just an element of catchup going on??

Chum of mine has just bought a Seat Ibiza 1.4 Cupra which is twin charged (output is 180bhp).

Nice toy, the engine is very flexible and is coupled to a 7 speed DSG box.  I did notice however that at 70mph in 7th the engine is pulling the same revs as mine at 70mph in 6th, so the final drive is the same, it must be the ratios between which are differently configured. 
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Fuel consumption is only one of the potential advantages of the diesel engine. Round here we have given up worrying about fuel consumption/price of diesel fuel/theoretical running costs and just get on with enjoying driving the cars. The diesel engines are a nice thing for propelling a car down the road.

In any case, no matter which drivetrain you buy and for whatever reason, the i30 is a good and fairly cheap option compared to other cars. Same for the equivalent Kia's too by all accounts.

Regarding supercharging, Mercedes have backed away from this approach about 10 years ago now preferring turbo's instead stating "Turbochargers are superior to superchargers in terms of noise and cost". I guess VW missed the memo but then Mercedes were never trying to wring the neck of a 1.4l engine. VW's solution of both turbo and supercharging a small engine sounds expensive to me. I'm doubting many of those will get repaired out of warranty when they inevitably explode wear out.

:link: Mercedes-Benz C200 CGI review: Car Reviews- CarsGuide

• i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :Agoodpost: Keith  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :agreed:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal