i30 Owners Club

iOBD2 and associated iPhone, iPod and iPad App

Guest · 15 · 5375

ouri30
Came across an App on iTunes that looks kind of interesting.  It requires a BlueTooth WiFi (made a mistake initially) ODB2 adapter that can be purchased on eBay for $AU78 + $5.80 postage.  The App is free.

Rather than mention all the things this App can display and the data it can record, go to the App Store and search for OBD2. 

The website of the distributor is http://en.iobd2.cn/index.asp

For those of you with Android, an android App is also available. Requires a different adapter that is BlueTooth.

After you research this a bit more, then think about this: wouldn't it be interesting if the iPhone screen could be displayed on the head unit screen of the GD Elite and Premium?

Don't know if this is possible, but think of the possibilities.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:09:08 by ouri30 »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That would be awesome Bob (thanks for the link)  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Looks a little like Torque Pro (available on Android, also on my phone :whistler:)

I do like these little gizmos.

I wonder why they market that iOBD2 as "wifi" when it's clearly bluetooth :eek:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

ouri30
Looks a little like Torque Pro (available on Android, also on my phone :whistler:)

I do like these little gizmos.

I wonder why they market that iOBD2 as "wifi" when it's clearly bluetooth :eek:

Oops.  I assumed BlueTooth.  Looks like it is wifi according to their website.  That's very odd though.

Thanks Shambles

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Bob, I think it is Bluetooth not wifi. My guess is that their engrish isn't quite right.

Unless it IS a wifi connection, which would be a first for an OBD2 device imho.

ouri30
I'm very tempted to give this a try.  We have an i30 FD CRDi, i20, ix35 CRDi and looking at an i30 GD CRDi Premium.  I'm sure I can have lots of fun playing with one of these.

Edit
Shambles,
Appears as though the iPhone one is indeed WiFi and the Android is BlueTooth.  It refers to each if you read the eBay info.

Correction made in initial post.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:09:58 by ouri30 »

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Word of warning from experience: for anything Apple you can only use Wifi! I tested it after considerable research. BT is locked by Apple to use it for anything other then audio, the manufacturer would have to buy a chip from them. I believe there is only one BT device available for i-devices, it is the Bluedrive unit and it is quite pricy.

Everything else is Wifi. I bought a cheap (around $30) OBD2 wifi adapter off eBay that works with one of the apps on the iPad. Dashcommand supposed to work with it too as the eBay offerings are a copy of the Kiwi Wifi device. Dashcommand is around $50 plus the wifi adapter and postage, so you look at $100 plus to get started.

The other issues is that phone displays are too small. I used 4" screens with android and BT adapter and except a single gauge at the time, everything is too small to read at a glance. iPad size screens are the way to go if you want this kind of bling.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I downloaded the Android .apk file from that page (http://www.iobd2.com/iOBD2.apk). I'll get my dongle out and check it later on...

Offline hak yeong

• 2nd Gear
  • have a good day~

• kr Korea, Republic of
      Success.WA

• hakyeongkim
also i got it. i have bought it from Ebay. about 10dollar.

and connection with phone via bluetooth and i can see temperate, bar, speed(gps) rpm, LPK...

most thing is correct except fuel rate.. i can see it 10Liter per 100km..

but it is not true.. when i filling the Diesel fuel, my car sip fuel 5~6/100km..

um... what's wrong?

ouri30

most thing is correct except fuel rate.. i can see it 10Liter per 100km..

but it is not true.. when i filling the Diesel fuel, my car sip fuel 5~6/100km..

um... what's wrong?

Look for a correction factor.  Usually with this sort of device you say how much fuel you put in when you refill and it then adjusts the fuel usage.

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
At work tonight a fellow brought in an OBD2 adapter. It connects to a smartphone using Bluetooth.

He brought it in for a fellow whose Holden was faulting. We connected it, discovered that it was a faulty throttle position sensor. But in mucking about we discovered that it displays all sorts of info.

So, we plugged it into my diesel i30. Interesting stuff. For example, when I went for a drive it showed a max of around 1.2bar boost, which I thought was a lot. But apparently not.

Showed lots of other info, but the app, being free, was limited.

The module is a ELM 327, but I'm not sure if it supports a "CAN" or "CAM" bus technology.

Tried to measure fuel consumption but the screen showed garbled text and digits.

Got to 0.5g acceleration (eat your hearts out, Audi R8 owners).

The module plugs in to a socket which is exposed via a slot under the dash adjacent to the right kickpanel, or roughly above where your right knee would be (on an Australian right hand drive model).

Thankfully the ECU had no stored fault codes.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I also bought one from :link: iOBD2 Xtool OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner For iPhone Android,it works.

You're also a marketing spammer.

Bye bye.

Offline MattyP

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Central Coast NSW
Although we've been spammed on my latest test drive of an i30 diesel I ran torque pro through my note 3 via a blue tooth ebay dongle.

Worked very well and good to see how much boost it makes

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal