i30 Owners Club

Tricks/tip of how to prevent spotting after car wash.

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
We have very hard water that leaves hard white spots after washing.

I've found a great technique that leaves no spots. Here it is below. How do you do it?

Wash the car with your favourite neutral hp wash (Meguiar's have a great wash liquid) and hose it off. I've found micro-fibre mittens excellent. Just make sure you don't pick up tiny stones which could get stuck in the fibre. Regularly recharge fibre from the bucket giving it a shake to remove grit. Don't touch the bottom of the bucket!

Have prepared a third of a bucket of water with half a cup of Mequire's Ultra Detailer added or your favourite detailer.

Using a micro-fibre cloth (or chamois) dipped in the above prepared solution, wipe of excess water then quickly buff with a dry micro-fibre cloth. The buffing cloth will become damp by the end but don't worry, it still works.

If you want to get really carried away, spray some pure detailer on the wet spots as well prior to wiping with the chamois or micro-fibre.

You will be left with a spotless finish  :goodjob2:

Are there any other techniques you've found good?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 23:25:17 by The Gonz »
  • 2016 i30 Elite Limited 2.0L Auto Phantom Black Pearl

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Good tip, we have soft water in Scotland but I still dry the car with a large microfibre and quick detail spray, disperses the water much quicker and prevents any dried water spots.

Always use the two bucket method and grit guards are a useful addition to the wash buckets too!

Check my other posts for the various products I use :goodjob:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I use the Karcher high pressure wash - first start with a presoak and leave for 2 minutes then hit with the wash a second time and further go around the car with a bug mitt to get off the stubborn crap - then a fresh water rinse off and chamois.

Once every 3 months I finish up with the Meguire's wetlook polishing wax.

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
Excellent just bought a Stihl high pressure cleaner with a low pressure soap dispenser. Will try the double wash but rinse just with the hose. Too scared I'll damage the paint with high pressure.

Is the Meguiar's wet look a spray on wipe off system? Don't want any cutters at this stage.
  • 2016 i30 Elite Limited 2.0L Auto Phantom Black Pearl

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I still rinse with the Karcher as well, just change over to the spray attachment.

No the wet look is a liquid wipe on wipe off, no buffing as such like with a true polish so there is no cutting involved.

Because it's a liquid you can apply additional coats to get more depth if you like as well and it doesn't leave marks on the black plastic areas like a lot of other brands do.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal