i30 Owners Club

Use of Nitrogen in Tyres

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
There's been some discussion about this in Tyre Pressures.
This link is worth a read.

http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars/car_advice/car_fact_sheets/nitrogen_for_tyres

I noticed one from the UK, too. So those of you over there who haven't heard about its use might find this useful.

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/nitrogen.html
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
There's been some discussion about this in Tyre Pressures.
This link is worth a read.

http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars/car_advice/car_fact_sheets/nitrogen_for_tyres

I noticed one from the UK, too. So those of you over there who haven't heard about its use might find this useful.

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/nitrogen.html
both of the links have good comments regarding nitrogen. but I'm a new user of it and thought it was just a gimmick,but after a year using it I'm a convert.anyone with any doubts about it don't use it, use air.but once you have used nitrogen in your tyres I'm sure you also will become a convert..  :cool:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Without even looking at the articles I'm skeptical.

Air consists of 70ish% nitrogen, is changing the other 30ish% going to affect a normal road user that much? Racing yeah maybe, Average Joe, I doubt it...........

As an aside most if not all Aircraft do use 100% Nitrogen..........

Regards

Daniel

Offline Seoul-mate

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, Queensland

Air consists of 70ish% nitrogen, is changing the other 30ish% going to affect a normal road user that much? Racing yeah maybe, Average Joe, I doubt it...........

Regards

Daniel
Realising that even an unpressurised tyre has to be "full" of air to begin with, how is it possible
to get 100% nitrogen into a tyre without first evacuating all the air that would be naturally in it
 to start with? Do they somehow create a vacuum in the tyre before adding the nitrogen?  Or do they
 assume the incoming nitrogen will expel all the air prior to the tyre bead sealing on the rim?       

• i30 1.6 Diesel (03/08- 09/12), MB B200 (09/12 -->)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Russ, Nice to see you about.. :D Good question... calling Trev.... :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
good point Russ,i cant explain that one.it has its advantages and disadvantages,but as I've posted in other areas on the forum,I'm a convert,checked them [preasure wise] over a year and not had to put any air in the tyres.  :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Apparently not. That's covered in one of the links. Only those where the risk of explosion is high. I think if they are very high flying. Need to go back and re-read it.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Regards

Daniel
Realising that even an unpressurised tyre has to be "full" of air to begin with, how is it possible
to get 100% nitrogen into a tyre without first evacuating all the air that would be naturally in it
 to start with? Do they somehow create a vacuum in the tyre before adding the nitrogen?  Or do they
 assume the incoming nitrogen will expel all the air prior to the tyre bead sealing on the rim?       

Covered in the links but in short they have to fill, vent and refill the tyre several times to clear all the air out. Most don't, so you end up with still some air in with the nitrogen, thus reducing its effectiveness.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal