i30 Owners Club

Rear tyre wear

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

• Kent England. 1.6CRDI Premium
Just wondered what sort of mileage/Km everyone else is getting as I am going to have to change the rears after only 28k miles the preasures are checked regulary and the wear is even across the tyre and both sides they are the 225 45 17 hankook k415's. All the other cars I have had (all FWD) got at least 40k miles doing exactly the same town driving (have lived in the same place 23 years). The front hankooks lasted 16.5k miles which is actually a lot better than some tyres we have had in the past that's why I cant understand why the rears have worn so quickly.

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
Huh!  My (UK) CRDi Comfort auto is on 16" Hankook K415's, just had to replace a rear tyre today at 4000 miles as it had a screw through the shoulder, so yours have lasted better than one of mine! 
Good to hear that your fronts have lasted 16k - I suppose in that case I may have a complete set of Michelins in a years time!  I think that if the rears were likely to last 40,000 miles I would be inclined to put them onto the front so as to wear them out before they get old.
My experience of the Hankook K415's is that they hang on well, but I think they seem noisy (ie road noises).  I will be interested to find out whether Michelins (Energy Savers) are quieter than the Hankooks, and hang on better or at least as well.  I might have preferred a Continental but didnt have the choice at my local tyre dealer when I needed the tyre - one of the drawbacks of not having a proper spare wheel.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Well over 51,000 miles on my original Kumho 17s and still around 5mm tread, but then again my trips are almost entirely motorway. Just goes to show you have to factor in the journey type when comparing.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Well over 51,000 miles on my original Kumho 17s and still around 5mm tread, but then again my trips are almost entirely motorway. Just goes to show you have to factor in the journey type when comparing.

Do you float rather than ride on the m/way :question:

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
51,000 miles Steve (Wow) I got roughly 55,000kms from memory (although I could have perhaps squeezed another 3 or 4K out of them) - you obviously rotate front to back occassionally,  like I did at 20,000kms.. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
51,000 miles Steve (Wow) I got roughly 55,000kms from memory (although I could have perhaps squeezed another 3 or 4K out of them) - you obviously rotate front to back occassionally,  like I did at 20,000kms.. :cool:

Not one bit. They are now where they were born :D

I do hardly any town driving, unlike sparki30. I simply point and go and follow the grooves I've made over the past 20 years in the motorways I use :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Does seem pretty low.
Are you a town driver mostly?
I think I'll satrt a thread for people to post some feedback on their tyre sizes, types and handling.  And mileage.
Might be worthwhile exercise as more and  more of us need to replace tyres.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Does seem pretty low.
Are you a town driver mostly?
I think I'll satrt a thread for people to post some feedback on their tyre sizes, types and handling.  And mileage.
Might be worthwhile exercise as more and  more of us need to replace tyres.

Sounds like a good idea trev
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal