i30 Owners Club

Auto Wiper problem on GD Elite and Premium

Offline Lawriemcf

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Queensland
I have just taken delivery of a new GD Elite petrol auto as an upgrade from my FD SLX.

I am particularly critical of the setup of the auto wipers in that each time you turn on the ignition the wipers do one sweep of the windscreen.
This causes a dry wiper blade to be dragged over a potentially dusty windscreen.
Surely in time that will accelerate the wear of the wiper blades and scratch the windscreen. The result of that windscreen scratching is to refract lights and make vision difficult, particularly at night.

It is claimed that the one wipe is some sort of check that the auto wipe is operational, but they don't see the need to do a similar test on the auto headlights.

I believe there has been some comment on this forum about the problem but unless Hyundai receive a number complaints I suspect nothing will be done other than owners coughing up for wiper blades and windscreens. We can be sure that Hyundai won't wear the costs incurred.

I have copied my email to them below and would ask that if any other owners feel that this software should be changed that you either write a similar complaint to Hyundai or if you would like to simply copy and paste my note.
Apologies for the repetition of this note within the email to Hyundai.

I have just taken delivery of a new i30 Elite having upgraded from an FD SLX.

I am particular concerned at the action  of the auto wiper function which performs a sweep of the windscreen each time I start the vehicle.

This action results in dry blades on a dry windscreen and can only wear out the blades and result in a scratched windscreen from dust present in the rural environment where I live.

This resultant marking of the screen will create a safety hazard as lights will be refracted and be a safety issue.

I urgently request that a "patch" be provided for the software to eliminate this superfluous sweep each time the car is started.
Other auto functions , such as the headlights do not require the constant testing that this sweep is claimed to perform.

Reference to the i30 club forum indicates a body of concern from owners who are doubtful that Hyundai will replace windscreens and blades as a result of the action of this sweep.

An unfortunate blemish on a great car.

Please advise your intention to eliminate this safety issue.

I'd like to think that "People Power" might overcome the corporate  will and bring about change.

lawriemcf
  • i30 GD Elite Petrol Auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
In principal, a good idea, but I think you solution will take ages to have any effect. There are many who agree with you, myself included, but to get your request to engineers and have software modified will take a lot of convincing. There are obviously those in the Hy organization who feel it is correct as is, so they would need to be converted and this may or may not be possible.

If you want a quick solution, you'd be better off finding or devising a circuit if your own to patch in.

eg A relay designed to activate the wiper circuit at start up after a 5 second delay.

or modification of the 1 sweep pulse to something inert, even better.

Moderator Gonz, may have a clue about this.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lawriemcf

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Queensland
Thanks for that and I agree.

Unfortunately my skills are mechanical, not electronics.

I guess the main issue would be to give the computer the same feedback as the single sweep of the wiper does.

I wonder if the various versions of this vehicle, in particular the European tourer do the same thing. I'm aware of some differences between the models from Korea and from Europe so it is possible that there may be a difference.

All you electronic nerds (a compliment of course) please put your thinking caps on.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Sadly, I have no idea what logic is employed, do we even know whether the computer is expecting a return result, or is it just a built in single pulse to the wiper switch, to let the driver know that auto is selected. Personally, I suspect it's just for info only. I don't have your model or auto wipers, is there a warning light anywhere on the dash, if not, then how is a fault condition conveyed to the driver :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Can it be turned off?

Then activate when required.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: AleMan
Can it be turned off?

Yes.

Simply make sure you cancel the autowipe when you come to the end of your journey, or before you start the car. I cannot see Mr H issuing any kind of "fix".

It annoys the hell out of me when I've forgotten my own basic rules, as above, and restart my car when the stalk is in the auto position.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
 :whsaid:

The xenon automatic forward lighting system does a level check at startup IF the light sensor activates the headlamps, there is no check on the sensor system itself.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Lawriemcf

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Queensland
Ok Guys

No response after 3 days from Mr H. Makes Customer care an oxymoron.

Does anybody know what function the single wiper sweep at startup actually does ?

I have found a unit that will block a signal for a specified time. Someone suggested using a device to prevent the current reaching the wiper motor until after the sweep would have happened. Once power connection is re-established, say after 5 seconds, the auto wipers can do their thing and wipe when water is detected.

This little gadget on ebay would do the trick unless the computer was requiring a return signal from the wiper motor.

If we have an electronics genius amongst our members he or she may like to express a view.

Your brilliance would be appreciated

Lawrie

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
The single sweep is there to determine the auto unit is functional, as a safety mechanism.

Turn the wipers off and only turn auto on when it starts to rain.  Very simple solution.
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal