i30 Owners Club

Audio Display Freezing

CJMash · 20 · 6893

Offline CJMash

• 1st Gear
Can't find if this has been discussed before - sorry if it has.

Have had my SX Diesel for 2 weeks now an am very happy with it. The only problem so far is that the stereo display has been intermittently freezing on the right half of the display. It will only correct itself when the car in turned off and restarted. Feels like Windows really...

Anyone had a similar problem?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Ooh I don't think we've had that issue reported here before :eek:

I take it whatever is on the right hand side of the "screen" stays as it is nomatter whether the radio is selected, USB etc, it shows the same info/detail? What happens to the display when the radio power switch is pressed, which would normally change the display to show outside temp and time.

Check your software version (see my survey posted in the "Polls & surveys" section) so we can rule out any upgrades the audio manufacturer might have done.

Got any pics CJ ?

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That is an odd one CJ.. hope it's an easy fix...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
If memory serves me, wasn't there a posting to do with temperature causing problems with the display.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If memory serves me, wasn't there a posting to do with temperature causing problems with the display.

Yes, but that wasn't part of the display freezing .. it was to do with the display virtually disappearing when it got too hot...

Offline CJMash

• 1st Gear
Yes Shambles, that sums it up pretty well. This morning I thought I was running quite early before i remembered that it wasn't '7:09am' as the display read - it had just been frozen for about 40mins.

When the radio power switch is pressed, the left half of the screen behaves as you would expect, the right half stays frozen.

If temperature did have a role to play in this it would be when it's cooler. It seems (perhaps purely by coincidence) to happen in the colder parts of the day (although Sydney hasn't exactly been that cold yet) - probably sub 15 degs Celsius.

I will get a pic of it next time it happens and will check out the software version - it seems logical to me that the problem is software based. I have my 1000km service with Hyundai next week, so hopefully they will be able to rectify the problem.

Offline CJMash

• 1st Gear
I'm wondering (probably like many of you) why I posted this problem under modifications. Sorry bout that.

Offline CJMash

• 1st Gear
Thought I'd post the latest to this issue -

Had my 1000km service this Wed gone. The fault was evident during the service and they have deemed it a fault with the audio system. They have seen the same problem in 1 other i30. They will replace the stereo under warranty.

Another issue that someone might be able to give me some advice on... picked up my i30 from Hyundai Service, drove it home, got out and gave the car the once over to find a couple of scratches in the rear panel and a gouge out of the right tail light that wasn't there when I left it with them. About $700 worth of damage.

I drove the car back to them. They said it must have happened in their car park after I dropped it off, but before the service, so they're not liable for the damage.

Any advice as to where I stand on this?

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
yes, in Australia they don't have a changeover system for the stereo in the i30 so if they have a problem they just tend to replace the whole unit.

As to the damage, I would take it up with the General Manager and/or the Dealer Principal.

This is one reason why, with a new or expensive vehicle, I always did a walkaround with the customer and noted any damage to the vehicle when we received it, otherwise some customers will claim that the service department damaged the car when the damage was already there, and that might be why they reacted that way.

Obviously that's not what you are doing, and I think if you approach the GM or DP and explain the situation to them you are much more likely to get a result. Sometimes a Service Manager will just see the $ disappearing from his or her budget. However, that is not your problem.

The only way they would not be liable is if the damage to the vehicle happened between the time you parked it in their car park and the time you handed them the keys in the morning, which is very unlikely. If the car was in their custody at the time they are liable for what happens to it, and they are insured for that. If it's $700 they wouldn't claim that against insurance - but either way they are responsible.

To help uncomplicate these things I always tell my friends and family (especially if they are fussy about their cars) to get someone in the service department to do a walk-around of the car when they drop it off and note any damage. If the car is returned to you with any damage you can point out that they signed something that morning that said there was no damage.

Unfortunately damage to vehicles happens in any workshop or car park, it's just a matter of making it clear to the dealership when you present the car that it is in perfect condition and that's how you expect it back.

Doesn't help you now, but I would be surprised if you can't get a good outcome by talking to the people I have suggested. Let us know how you go. 

Pip
Very expensive free service!

If their car park is within their boundary or ownership I'd expect them to take responsibility.  Sounds like they have already acknowledged where it happened.

I'd be pleasant but very firm about getting it fixed at their expense.  Good luck.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Very expensive free service!

If their car park is within their boundary or ownership I'd expect them to take responsibility.  Sounds like they have already acknowledged where it happened.

I'd be pleasant but very firm about getting it fixed at their expense.  Good luck.

I'm with Pip on this one too ..Something like this is hard to take  :twisted:

Offline tiny

• 3rd Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
Guess hyundai officials are asseholes allover the world :D isn't there something like customer protection???

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Guess hyundai officials are asseholes allover the world :D isn't there something like customer protection???

Unfortunately, most service centres have signs posted saying vehicle garaged at owners risk...

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
on my 1000kms service i noticed a sign on the service counter saying head units have limited waranty not 5 years!
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
on my 1000kms service i noticed a sign on the service counter saying head units have limited waranty not 5 years!

That's correct, there are a few exceptions to the 5 year/unlimited warranty notably radiator hoses, plug leads etc and the stereo. I wouldn't expect to get an oxygen sensor with 250000km on the clock either.

The exclusions are pretty fair IMHO, with the possible exception of the stereo. The other stuff is stuff that you expect to have to replace in the life of the car. They cover them under warranty for longer than just about any other manufacturer anyway, just not the full 5 years.

If it's any consolation, the stereos are extremely reliable by industry standards. Also, the use of USB and ipods means that the normal wearing parts of the head unit (CD laser and mechanism) don't get as much use. Therefore, I wouldn't expect to have many problems as time goes by. I think you would be a fair chance of getting goodwill warranty assistance if the stereo packed up at 4 years and you hadn't done many ks.

Offline CJMash

• 1st Gear
As an update to the damage posted earlier, here is my reply from Hyundai's service people:

"I received your email from **** regarding damage on your I30 , i have looked at repair order and discussed the issue with Service Manager ********** , while i understand that your vehicle could have been damaged in our car park our insurance policy does not cover these incidents it should be covered by vehicle insurance.

I am sorry that we can not help in this instance, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to call me."

Pip
As an update to the damage posted earlier, here is my reply from Hyundai's service people:

"...while i understand that your vehicle could have been damaged in our car park our insurance policy does not cover these incidents..."

I am sorry that we can not help in this instance, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to call me."

I'd call him straight away.  Just because they (say they) haven't protected themselves for the damage to your car doesn't absolve their liability in my view.  It was in their care.  Fair go, crikey!!  What next?  "Sorry we ran over the jack and ripped your bumper off but our insurance doesn't cover that".  What's insurance got to do with it anyway?  Your claim is to them, how they pay is not your problem.  If they were decent they would just accept the hit and have a happy customer... as it is they don't.  And at the end, when you tell us their name and they still won't pay they may just get fewer.

Keep going!

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
As I see it - if they have the key to the vehicle then they have the responsibility of "due care and diligence".

Take it higher, after letting the garage know you're about to do that
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

"I received your email from **** regarding damage on your I30 , i have looked at repair order and discussed the issue with Service Manager ********** , while i understand that your vehicle could have been damaged in our car park our insurance policy does not cover these incidents it should be covered by vehicle insurance.

I've drafted similar letters when I've been in positions of authority .. if they don't have "the desired effect" and the customer comes back for another stoush we would usually capitulate.. :wink:

or...

in plain English... If the letter doesn't work they'll usually cave in... :lol:

Offline EpOcH

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

Unfortunately, most service centres have signs posted saying vehicle garaged at owners risk...

OffTopic but did you also know that the sign isnt worth the medium its printed on ... if it stops 1 person claiming the sign has paid for itself ;)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal