i30 Owners Club

Failed power steering on 1.6CRDi Manual i30 FD

Jackson · 19 · 12444

Offline Jackson

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney Australia

My first post....
I have a 2009 Hyundai Wagon (49,000km on the clock !!) and had this same problem (as this topic - Shambles). My Power Steering cut out 3 times ( thankfully whilst parking) .
I took it to my closest Dealer last week on the advice of my mechanic as he felt it was a manufacturing issue that Hyundai should repair. I nearly fell over when they quoted me $5100 for: MDPS Assembly ( Steering Column with Steering ECU)/Steering Clock spring/2 x sheer bolts/ wheel alignment.
My mechanic was pretty sure he could do it for around $1000.
Oh, and I have just registered ( for 1 year) my low mileage, good condition car and they offered me $1000!!!!!!!
I also fall outside the recall but when I took my car back to my mechanic there was another Hyundai in the the garage 5 months newer than mine with the same problem!! This is not a Hyundai mechanic BTW.
I have spoken with Fair Trading who directed me to The Department of Infrastructure. Surely if enough of us put our hands up, these vehicles will be added to the recall. There just seems to be too many of us for Hyundai not to take notice.
Am I barking up the wrong tree??
  • Hyundai i30 Wagon 2009

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
My thoughts;
All contact each other, make a complete list of faults, diagnosis from both Hy & independent repairers, & in your case $1000 trade-in offered from the dealer, specify your desired outcome and send the lot to each of your dealers and to Hy Aus.
You guys are trying to fight a battle individually,  band together,  contact the owner of that other car as well,  get them involved.
Be direct, but not offensive . If you don't present your case, you cannot expect a result.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Jackson

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney Australia
Thanks Mickd,
That is what I am hoping for. I feel that there are many of us. As I am new, not sure how I go about alerting all concerned...? And, don't worry, I know the only way to achieve anything is to be constructive. Thank you for your feedback.
  • Hyundai i30 Wagon 2009

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
My first post....
I have a 2009 Hyundai Wagon (49,000km on the clock !!) and had this same problem. My Power Steering cut out 3 times ( thankfully whilst parking) .
I took it to my closest Dealer last week on the advice of my mechanic as he felt it was a manufacturing issue that Hyundai should repair. I nearly fell over when they quoted me $5100 for: MDPS Assembly ( Steering Column with Steering ECU)/Steering Clock spring/2 x sheer bolts/ wheel alignment.
My mechanic was pretty sure he could do it for around $1000.
Oh, and I have just registered ( for 1 year) my low mileage, good condition car and they offered me $1000!!!!!!!
I also fall outside the recall but when I took my car back to my mechanic there was another Hyundai in the the garage 5 months newer than mine with the same problem!! This is not a Hyundai mechanic BTW.
I have spoken with Fair Trading who directed me to The Department of Infrastructure. Surely if enough of us put our hands up, these vehicles will be added to the recall. There just seems to be too many of us for Hyundai not to take notice.
Am I barking up the wrong tree??

If there was a way to ship, new unit from Koraps is about $1200 USD, 563102L500. New clock spring? Why I'd ask.

It's somewhat surprising the control unit which is modular is not a part either. I bet that's the part that's cactus. Be funny if it was bad solder joints on the board.

If it can be proven, may be worth a punt on one.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Jackson

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney Australia
My mechanic said the same about the clock spring! Sorry to be a dill but if "what" can be proven?  :confused:
  • Hyundai i30 Wagon 2009

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
My mechanic said the same about the clock spring! Sorry to be a dill but if "what" can be proven?  :confused:

Not knowing precisely everything about how these work but that module to me is both the power and brains of the motor unit. assuming the motor is fine and I would think that's the least likely part to fail, then I'm thinking it may be worth the gamble swapping out that module. Someone in the know or with the right gear may be able to tell .

That module may even be able to be removed with the assembly in place. 3 bolts and it simply unplugs. May need calibration or resetting , beyond my knowledge at this moment.

I'm seeing $450 delivered for a complete column assembly on Ebay used,

Doubtful part is  there may be other sensors within the column that feed that control unit tht could be defective and cause an error in which case I would say too hard basket.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Trying to get some images and ifo up on  C1260 (steering angle sensor failure) and C1290 (torque sensor failure).

Manual points towards senors within , so possiblity that control unit may not be at fault.

Boy I'd love to get my hands on a bad unit to experiment with.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

General Description
EPS CM receives torque and rotation speed of steering wheel from torque sensor.
The EPS CM uses a torque sensor as it's main input for determining the amount of steering assists. The
input and output shafts are separated by a torsion bar, where the torque sensor is located. The sensor
consists of a two detecting plates. Detecting plate 1 is fixed to the output shaft, detecting plate 2 is fixed to
the input shaft. As torque is applied to the steering column shaft the alignment of the teeth between
detecting plate 1 and 2 changes. The EPS CM recognizes this change.
DTC Description
The EPS CM sets this code if torque sensor can't calculate torque and rotation speed normally due to open
or short in torque sensor circuit or discordance between 2 sensing element signal.
The EPS CM turns on warning lamp and stops assist control.

General Description

EPS is designed to provide directional control and smooth feeling to driver when driver operates steering wheel. There is a function to detect rotation speed and direction of steering wheel in Torque Sensor. Rotation speed and direction signals are used for "damper" and "return" control, "assist" control.
DTC Description

Steering angle sensor error can be set when loss of steering angle due to internal fault or open in ECU internal circuit occurs. If steering sensor error occurs EPS CM stops "damper" and "return" control. Therefore driver can be uncomfortable due to no return force during U-Turn, high speed driving, but there is no problem for driving because basic assist control still alives.

Offline Jackson

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney Australia
Ok!! That really is something to show my mechanic because it is all Dutch to me!!
Thanks
  • Hyundai i30 Wagon 2009

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
SallyId also reported C1616 c1604, my interpretation of those are Control module

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Ok!! That really is something to show my mechanic because it is all Dutch to me!!
Thanks

No, it's Double Dutch, Video explains that plate and the sensors

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
So glad I bought a whole wreck now.

Looks like  this is worth gold.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Oh, and nzenigma mentioned replacing this coupler too if you get a used unit before install. 99.9% sure mine is gone and why it knocks, rattles and occasional squeak noise,

:link: Hyundai i30 steering knock? here's why

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@Jackson Sorry to hear you are in the same boat. Yes, Mick's advice is very sound. If all attempts at a goodwill or warranty fix fail, a much cheaper second hand unit and helpful mechanic will greatly reduce the repair cost. Because the failures are spread over a long period and only a small number are reported through here, a decent class action will be difficult but hopefully you can contact a couple like the others in this thread and ramp thing up a bit together.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Too easy.. Lets go into business fixing them!  :eek:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Not a bad plan if they're going to quote those prices. Hate to say it but reminds me somewhat of Holden Astras and their woes where ECU failures were common and the cost of repair undoubtly led to a fair few being scrapped.

Fancy having a car where the steering  unit costs more than what the car is worth.

Would not be surprised if down the track Someone like Fulcrum may have solutions

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Not a bad plan if they're going to quote those prices. Hate to say it but reminds me somewhat of Holden Astras and their woes where ECU failures were common and the cost of repair undoubtly led to a fair few being scrapped.

Fancy having a car where the steering  unit costs more than what the car is worth.

Would not be surprised if down the track Someone like Fulcrum may have solutions
Graham is working on it. He may already be on top of it.
He replaced the steering cog on mine and I left the car with him for a week so he could experiment with the EPS diagnostic equipment he had just the week before brought back from Europe. He was actually in England when I e-mailed him with my steering knock problem. This was late last year.
I'm also pretty sure he told me then that his Stafford store had a steering column to play with. They had rescued it from a crashed car they had to replace the steering column in but the one they removed wasn't actually damaged.

There is also a rally preparation guy who fits EPS units into rally cars and sets them up so the driver can manually adjust the degree of power steering. In my mate's Datto it's a Suzuki unit IIRC. But he and the car are now in NZ.

Think it might be Dave Feron.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Graham is working on it. He may already be on top of it.
He replaced the steering cog on mine and I left the car with him for a week so he could experiment with the EPS diagnostic equipment he had just the week before brought back from Europe. He was actually in England when I e-mailed him with my steering knock problem. This was late last year.
I'm also pretty sure he told me then that his Stafford store had a steering column to play with. They had rescued it from a crashed car they had to replace the steering column in but the one they removed wasn't actually damaged.

There is also a rally preparation guy who fits EPS units into rally cars and sets them up so the driver can manually adjust the degree of power steering. In my mate's Datto it's a Suzuki unit IIRC. But he and the car are now in NZ.

Think it might be Dave Feron.
Very interesting, Reading all the Hyundai info it does suggest there are 2 rates of assistance inbuilt anyway in the software

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal