i30 Owners Club

Now upto 20K miles...

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
.... second service due on time, and have the following problems, alloy wheels x4 corroded, drivers seat sqeaks, sloppy gear change (gear stick feels loose) front suspension knock, roughness to the engine & poor fuel economy using brim to brim figures, car goes into garage in 2 weeks, will see how they perform.
BTW 2nd service cost £280 cheapest by a long way.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Not good for such a low mileage :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
.... second service due on time, and have the following problems, alloy wheels x4 corroded, drivers seat sqeaks, sloppy gear change (gear stick feels loose) front suspension knock, roughness to the engine & poor fuel economy using brim to brim figures, car goes into garage in 2 weeks, will see how they perform.
BTW 2nd service cost £280 cheapest by a long way.

Other than that, is it running well?  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
We got 2 i30 diesel's both 60 reg, and they both been a nightmare, the quality is shocking & this is reflected in Hyundai's poor showing in this years JD Power survey, scoring below industry average.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
You seem to be in the minority here, would you please elaborate on your criticisms of the diesel I30   :confused:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
My criticisms are aimed at the i30, not just the diesel, my car new steering column, wiper arm x3, interior mirror, windscreen washer pump, outstanding rattle from drivers door & since column replaced steering very light.
Her car, interior mirror, 4 glow plugs, peeling steering wheel replaced & problems mentioned above.
When we bought the first car (hers) I thought we where just unlucky but this clearly not the case, as mentioned before look how bad Hyundai do in JD power survey the most respected survery there is, are well you learn by your mistakes lol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The last JD Power survey I saw the i30 did really well  :cool: That was a while back though... :undecided:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Heard on the radio yesterday that Hy have just sold their 1,000,000th vehicle in Oz, need I say any more  :mrgreen:

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Update, they could only find a problem with corroded alloys, 4 on order, also paint lacquer coming off rear bumper where rear parking sensor fitted by dealer, waiting for update from Hyundai, cannot see how its not down to the dealer.
Not impressed that 4 alloys corroded at 21K miles.

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
Hi Sootytorques. 
Disappointed to hear that you too have quality issues with your i30('s?).  My own UK 10 reg (2010 but 2011 spec) car has had many parts replaced too.  2+ years & 23k miles into ownership I too am disappointed with the quality & durability of my car, but maybe I am just too fussy.
Dare I say also that I feel that the more that a car is messed about with (eg worked on at a dealer etc) then the more likelyhood of developing further faults if only creaks & rattles.
However I do not think my i30 compares favourably (quality wise) with my sons Astra or other cars I know of similar age.  And despite me keeping many of my previous cars for as long as I can (eg for 10+ years) I expect I shall part with my own i30 within the 5 year warranty period because of my fears.
My i30 is also not as quiet as some of its competitors (mine is still on its 16" Hankook tyres), nor as comfortable, or economical etc etc.  However the reason I bought it still holds as it was a good value (really good value actually) diesel with torque converter auto, and is pleasant (quite agile) to drive even if the auto gearbox is a bit lethargic.
I do fear the residual value will be woeful at 4 - 5 years old which will massively affect value for money.
Long live Hyundai's warranty and long live their helpful dealers (I am on my 2nd....)!
Ed

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Its worth mentioning the dealer advised that hyundai will only replace the wheels once !! I advised that if the second set of wheels corrode there has to be a serious problem, I asked if my engine failed & it was replaced & then it failed again during the 5 years would the engine be replaced, he said the failed parts would be replaced, i asked why only one set of alloys, there covered by the bodywork warranty which has different exclusions !!.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :faint: :fum:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Its worth mentioning the dealer advised that hyundai will only replace the wheels once !! I advised that if the second set of wheels corrode there has to be a serious problem, I asked if my engine failed & it was replaced & then it failed again during the 5 years would the engine be replaced, he said the failed parts would be replaced, i asked why only one set of alloys, there covered by the bodywork warranty which has different exclusions !!.

That is interesting because the chrome inserts have been replaced twice for one of our members I'm sure.. Was it Shambles, Alanho or someone else?  :undecided:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I can't imagine that is true as the warranty is for five years.
In fact in this state, we have quite good legislation to say that if a product fails even outside its warranty period and the failure is unreasonable, then the manufacturer and/or seller are still liable (on a case by case basis).
  • Tertius the i30

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Update, alloy wheels on back order approx 3 months, hyundai uk use Rimtec, and wait for a batch of alloys to come in and refurb them, and then send to dealer, i have asked if Rimtec can visit place of work or home & refurb there and then, dealer says this is not possible.
Not impressed.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
That is interesting because the chrome inserts have been replaced twice for one of our members I'm sure.. Was it Shambles, Alanho or someone else?  :undecided:

It was me - they were replaced after 5 months, then 7 months later and they needed to be replaced yet again when I traded the car in at 19 months old.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It was me - they were replaced after 5 months, then 7 months later and they needed to be replaced yet again when I traded the car in at 19 months old.

Thanks Alan, I know Steve's have been replaced at least once too.. I know the inserts are plastic, but I suspect the  chrome coating is metalized. I can't help wondering if the salted roads are to blame as seems less of an issue with the Aussie SR model which has the same inserts...

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Guess what 3 months & 1 week, still waiting for alloys, have contacted Hyundai UK, but been waiting a week now for response.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Guess what 3 months & 1 week, still waiting for alloys, have contacted Hyundai UK, but been waiting a week now for response.

That's crazy :Pout:

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Good news, alloy wheels fitted after waiitng over 5 months, bad news our other i30 has the same problem, waiting on 4 alloys wheels again.

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
Which parts of the alloy wheels have degraded? 
I know mine (16") have corrosion on their backs but I think the outer faces are OK.
I must examine my own closely whilst they are in a pile in the garage (car is currently shod with its winter wheels).
Ed

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Which parts of the alloy wheels have degraded? 
I know mine (16") have corrosion on their backs but I think the outer faces are OK.
I must examine my own closely whilst they are in a pile in the garage (car is currently shod with its winter wheels).
Ed

I believe it is the 17" alloys with the Plastic Chrome inserts which seem to have a habit of pitting in the UK (more so than in Australia by all accounts)  :cool:

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
One car has corrosion on outside and the other both sides, btw one of the replacement wheels is damaged and another one has been ordered, be glad to rid of these nightmare cars and the piss poor dealer service.

Offline jsc2012

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester
Spot on! My "Alloy" with plastic inserts pitting, a 2010MY. Hyundai replacing all 4 wheels, not tyres sadly...... Same time a steering column fault? Is this right for a 25,000 mile car?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal