i30 Owners Club

Engine cutting out

Offline Matteo567

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
Hello from Belgium and from a new member.

I've seen a few queries and answers on this issue but a lot seem to be coming from Australia and may not be relevant to an European issued car.  I have a 2010 issue 1.6 diesel with 85000km on the clock.

The problem I've had a number of times over the last week is that the car cuts out under acceleration:

- It happens under hard acceleration and very gradual acceleration.
 - It happens when the car is "cold" (five minutes from start in temperatures in single figures C°) but also after I've warmed it up for five minutes.
 - I'm sure it's not the "3000 revs" fault (I rarely take it up to 3000 revs in any case).
 - It won't "bump start" as it's coasting to a stop.
 - I have to turn the car off with the key - and re-start it with the key (it always starts immediately that way)

I keep expecting to hear Rod Sterling and "that", music as it always happens at the same point in my morning journey to the train station...however I know that's because up until that point (exiting a village and entering a de-restricted zone) I've kept to 50km maximum speed and am then pulling away.

Or is it?  After all, there is a sign post up ahead...

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated so that I'm forearmed before going to a garage.
  • i30 CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome:

Clutching at straws, but if it is at the same place on the road all the time I'm wondering if it is some sort of electronic interference. Maybe from a Radio Station Transmitter or something?

I have heard of cars not starting and remotes not opening doors when near such things... :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I assume you are out of warranty, otherwise take it to your dealer and have them fix it.

I was looking at the electricals for the Diesel and noticed that there is a fuel heater circuit, I wonder if that is operating correctly. If the engine is cutting out there should be a fault code registered, see if you can have the codes read, that may help.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I had a similar situation some time ago with one of our I30's,It was one of the sensors,oxygen I think(to long ago now)which ever sensor it was once changed I have not had an issue since.sorry can't remember exactly which one it was but.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Matteo567

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
Thanks for the replies.

Last night the Emission Control System light came on and this morning it cut out twice.

Hope this is not going to be pricey...
  • i30 CRDi

Offline Matteo567

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
So, we collected the car last night and it seems it was a combination of two things.

First, the last (?) batch of fuel we got was very dirty.
Second, the filter needed to be changed.

The guy drained the tank and put some cleaner in it, put more fuel in and changed the filter.

He drove it around and tested it with no problems - although he did say it would take a little while to completely clear up and it would sometimes feel underpowered.

The alternative, assuming the above did not work, was some sort of electronic box that was going to set us back €500.

The 15km drive home showed no problems.  Unfortunately, this morning the car was sluggish and the EMS light came back on...

The guy at the garage did do a diagnostic check with the computer and came up with no problems so what can it be? 
  • i30 CRDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Sorry to say, but if the fuel was dirty, nothing but emptying all the fuel and cleaning the tank and fuel lines completely, will solve your problem. The dirty fuel has probably now contaminated an expensive  new filter. :fum:

Can you find out what was the contaminant on the filter. If it was tarry and black then you have Diesel bug in your tank and need a preventative additive to stop it from reappearing.

Offline Matteo567

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
Good point.

But I'm hoping that that's what he did - and it was just my explanation that was a bit confusing.

He said he drained the tank, cleaned it through and changed the filter.  But if the clean filter was used immediately afterward (instead of the old one) then I guess that will now be dirty!

Does anyone have any experience with bicycles?  :rolleyes:
  • i30 CRDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Ok, hope that's what he did too.

Most of the members in this thread know a bit about bicycles.

Any of our members still riding their pushy's?

If you have a specific problem, go to General Discussion and create a topic of your own.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal