i30 Owners Club

Black soot on rear bumper problem.

Offline leonz1982

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hi all,

I'm from Sydney Australia and I recently bought a brand new CRDi i30 (May production). I never owned a Diesel vehicle so I'm not sure if what is happening is normal characteristic.

My new vehicle is White and every couple of day I will notice this Black dust-like substance start to build up on my rear bumper bar, more on the side where the exhaust is. I wipe my finger over it and I will get a black dusty finger tip. So I have to wipe down the rear bumper every 2-3 days.

It this normal characteristic for a Diesel vehicle? Will this go away or subside after a while of driving? I only drove like 300 kilometers to date.

I know I can speak to the people at service when I take the car in, but I just like to know if anyone else have had the similar experience?

Thank you in advance.
  • 2014 GD2 i30 Trophy CRDi 5D Hatch

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Ah! the beauty of a white car,I wouldn't have thought it would build up that fast,I have the earlier FD's,have a friend at work he has a white one both of mine are vivid blue,his seem to show up the dirt far easier than mine,if your not extremely careful at fill up,you'll notice a diesel stain appear a few days after filling,not sure about the GD's but the FD's do get a dirt build up in certain conditions around the rear wheel well,which shows up faster on a white car compared to the darker cars(even thought the build up is there at the same rate),the way the exhaust tip is placed it is very easy to see why you get the soot build up where it gets,I would get your service department to check this position it may be a little too high making the problem worse
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Craig00071

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gungahlin, ACT
Yeah. That's normal unfortunately.
I park near the hose and leave a sponge nearby. Some weeks the dust doesn't build up as much as others.

Apparently diesel exhaust is carcinogenic so I wouldn't be wiping it with my hand. I feel happy to have just the sponge between my hand and the dust though. Then again, they say even hot chips will kill you :wacko:
  • 2010 i30, SLX, 5 Door Hatch, Diesel, Auto, White. 271000km

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
If it worries you that much, add a small extension tube to the exhaust pipe.

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I've got a white FD diesel and I've never noticed any soot in the 4 plus years I've owned it....  :undecided:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I've got a white FD diesel and I've never noticed any soot in the 4 plus years I've owned it....  :undecided:

Ah! but yours is all blinged up the dirt and soot is not game to go near your car  :lol: but having said that,I haven't hd a huge problem with the soot,but as I said the exhaust tips on both of mine are under the level of the rear sill,I do how ever find it is a problem when I tow the dog trailer,both the bumper sill and the front ofthe triler gets a small amount of soot on them,I put that sown to the disturbed air flow past the car and trailer
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I only wish it was blinged up, Rick....  :lol:
My car is filthy at the moment, what with all the rain we've had...  :Pout:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline leonz1982

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thank you all for your feedback and comments.

Have also heard that filling up Premium Diesel may help with the little problem. I'm still running on the tank that came with the dealership. Next tank will be the Vortex Diesel from Caltex and hopefully it will burn better.
  • 2014 GD2 i30 Trophy CRDi 5D Hatch

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Yes many of the members are running either Vortex or Ultimate

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :whsaid:
In fact, just out of curiosity, I'll try a tankful of Vortex instead of Ultimate soon, just to compare. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Got a tank of Vortex today, about to update Fuelly in a few minutes.  :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
:whsaid:
In fact, just out of curiosity, I'll try a tankful of Vortex instead of Ultimate soon, just to compare. :victory:

My own personal view is the Vortex to me seems the better of the two(but that's just me)as our company uses Caltex the last few fills(as the servo we use has been upgraded)I have been filling with Vortex,just on the trip computer,my fuel usage has gone from 1.86 kilometers per litre,to 2.21 Kilometers per litre, that's a huge difference over the 600 litres I cart around and if I fill from empty that is only an extra $12 for and extra 210 Kilometers and in transport terms that can relate to almost an extra $1000 in your pocket in freight cartage

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Having made your statement Rick, are you absolutely sure that there are no other influencing factors. Just asking, because that is a very good reduction in consumption.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal