i30 Owners Club

Timing chain

Offline Craig00071

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gungahlin, ACT
Anyone had to change a timing chain?
I had my mechanic investigating a noise and while the noise was a different issue. He said the timing chain was making a slight noise and because he hadn't seen a car as old as mine he couldn't give an estimate on the life left in the chain.

I'm thinking I will just drive the car until it stops. I'm sick of spending money on it now.
Normal maintenance is one thing but the parts costs are getting ridiculous!

It's a 2010 and I still owe $6000 on it so I'd like to get another 12 months out of it.
Another driving instructor in the company has a corolla about the same age and hasn't had anywhere near the issues of the i30.

I asked a car dealer about a trade in valuation and he said he didn't want it  :head_butt:
  • 2010 i30, SLX, 5 Door Hatch, Diesel, Auto, White. 271000km

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
All the Hyundai and KIA 1.6 diesels in the UK have timing chains and not belts. 

I have not heard of any timing chain problems here.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I'm at 213.000 km in my 2008 and no problems with the chain so far.

I'm beginning to get noise when turning on the a/c but that's another story...  :P
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I also have not heard of timing chain issues with the diesels,I know timing belts on the petrols have to be changed at 120,000 k's,when I raised the issue a few times with Hyundai,I have been told that if the car has been serviced at the required intervals(including the optional services)the timing chains in the diesels very very rarely need attention,but on the ones that have had only the reqired warranty servioces,some have been required to be changed.(not many but)

After hearing this I did some hunting around to get some quotes,Hyundai being the most expensive at a tad under $1400,but found other mechanical shops which would do the same job for around $800

• 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Craig00071

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gungahlin, ACT
I'm at 213.000 km in my 2008 and no problems with the chain so far.

I'm beginning to get noise when turning on the a/c but that's another story...  :P

Just had my AC compressor done. $200 for a 50000km one off eBay and about $450 for labour,gas and filters.

The compressor clutch bearing was making a noise like a high pitch squeal.
  • 2010 i30, SLX, 5 Door Hatch, Diesel, Auto, White. 271000km

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal