i30 Owners Club

GD i30 1.8L fuel consumption

Gericho · 60 · 25289

Offline Gericho

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I have a new i30 1.8L auto that Hyundai claims to have a combined (city/h'way) fuel consumption of 6.9L /100km. Now I dont expect to be able to repeat the strict conditions of those tests but I do expect the calculated consumption to be reasonably close to the stated trip computer figures. I regard myself as a very moderate and conservative driver so I have been very disappointed with fuel consumption around 8-10L/100km (~50% highway) and the accuracy of the trip computer,
I have been keeping a detailed log of km covered and litres added, resetting the relevant readings to zero at each fillup point.  I fill up as close to the "50km to empty" signal as I can. The consumption results I calculate are consistently above the trip computer by 7-10%. Now I know u will say its impossible to fill a tank to the same level but over 3-4 tank fulls it should even itself out. One might also expect that some pumps might over or under estimate the litres delivered. At any rate I'd be very interested to hear from fellow owners as to their experience of the trip computer.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
6.9 did seem extremely optimistic for a 1.8 Auto but that is what the website says  :Shocked:

http://www.hyundai.com.au/vehicles/i30/specification-range

I note that urban is almost 10.00 so your 50% city would be dragging it up  :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Gericho

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
6.9 did seem extremely optimistic for a 1.8 Auto but that is what the website says  :Shocked:

http://www.hyundai.com.au/vehicles/i30/specification-range

I note that urban is almost 10.00 so your 50% city would be dragging it up  :disapp:

The official Hyundai website is quoting 9.7 urban and around 5 for the highway. I get 9-10 with 50% highway.  Is there smokin' mirrors here or what? Sitting on 100km/hr with cruise control on, I'm lucky to get under 7, mostly low to mid 7s. I can handle the higher fuel consumption but NOT the 7-10% error in the trip computer's fuel consumption. I'm thinking of doing a video of my next fillup comparing the pump figure with  what the computer is claiming with what a simple calculation reveals. I'll then show a youtube link to Hyundai and ask them to comment before I let it go public.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Mate there is no smoke and mirrors by Hyundai, they are using the standard test in compliance with ADR 81/02. Fromhttp://www.greenvehicleguide.gov.au/GVGPublicUI/Information.aspx?type=FuelConsumptionLabel "The results are based on a standard test procedure so consumers can reliably compare the performance of different models under the same test conditions".

You can't blame Hyundai for using the test standard as dictated by the Australian Government can you?

Looking at the criteria for the test results in the above link, you should probably be looking to achieve the combined results with your driving conditions. Also bearing in mind that cruise control whilst convenient, is not a good way to achieve the best fuel economy.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
 :whsaid:  re the Cruise control....

Makes me wonder if the figures that are quoted by manufacturers are achieved using a new ( thus not run in) vehicle or a well used demo model.  :confused:

I am sure that all the test drive reports/reviews that quote seemingly unachievable consumption figures are not all well run in vehicles....so it raises an interesting point..IMO  :wink:

Take for instance the long "run in" period required for the CRDI to achieve really good figures.....about 15000 Kms.. if we are lucky      :happydance:

By all means record what you can and take it up with  Hy....keep us posted..
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Gericho

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
As I said it may be impossible for the average Joe to replicate the AS  test consumption figure . But what prospective owners would like to know is a typical highway trip e.g (Brisbane to GC~80-100km) with cruise control at 100km/hr. What I'm saying is 7+L /100km is a long LONG way from 5+L/100km.

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Hi Guys,
We run our GD Auto Petrol on a fuel account & according to their quick calcs our past 2 months have been 9.2 & 10.0.

Mainly only city driving and only currently a few short M7/M4 trips.
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
As I said it may be impossible for the average Joe to replicate the AS  test consumption figure . But what prospective owners would like to know is a typical highway trip e.g (Brisbane to GC~80-100km) with cruise control at 100km/hr. What I'm saying is 7+L /100km is a long LONG way from 5+L/100km.

Indeed, but Hyundai are bound to comply with the Australian Standard test and display same on the vehicle as it is the law.

Should you wish to change the law it is your local politician you need to discuss this with.

I would suggest that nearly all cars would have the same issue, as they all are bound to do the same test. Some may argue that having the test causes the car makers to tune their vehicles to do better in the test than in real life, but it would be difficult to prove.

I do Bris/GC in my CRDI CW auto with cruise and get about 6/100 (albeit faster than 100) so if your getting 7s of any variety in a petrol I would be fairly happy with that myself. But I agree that it is not 5's but if you review the information on which the test is based, you will discover that the average speed of the ultra urban test is in the mid to high 60's.

I guess if you want to know how a car performs on the Brisbane Gold Coast Commute, the only way to find out is to brim it with fuel, drive the route, and brim it again and see what result you get.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
My daughter has a new Mazda 3 and the official combined cycle is 7.9 l/100 kms.
She is averaging currently 7.4 l/100 kms.
So in some circumstance it can be achieved. She has a mix of probably 80% urban / 20% country driving.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That seems odd db08,

No one else can approach these test figures, yet with only 20% country her figures exceed the test. How do you figure that  :question:

Could it be it's a woman driver perhaps.  :whistler:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

You know, when she had her last car she just drove it.
But with this one she is consciously driving for economy and regularly sends me photos of her trip computer.
In fact she sent me one today and if I can get it sent from my phone to my computer, I'll post it.
Her car is a petrol 6 speed manual.
  • Tertius the i30

Pip
No one else can approach these test figures...
Not so, I (and others here) consistently achieve better than the sticker number. Admittedly, diesel motors (and manual) appear to offer a greater chance to do well than petrol.  But still, I probably average better than 4.4 combined so long as I have a reasonable trip in the tank, whereas the sticker was 4.7. On a trip alone I have gotten as low as 3.6 one way and can often see less than 5.0 around town without trying too hard (no stop start heavy traffic though).

Current tank is showing 4.1 for about 50/50 town/country.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I forgot about you Pip, I remember now that you have posted about this before, but I don't know why, you seem to be the exception to the rule. If anyone else can do this, I'd like to know.  :neutral:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I forgot about you Pip, I remember now that you have posted about this before, but I don't know why, you seem to be the exception to the rule. If anyone else can do this, I'd like to know.  :neutral:

Lakes (John) can, and a couple of other members too including Thumper...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Do you write this stuff down, or what  :exclaim: :faint:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Nope, just got a good memory sometimes  :confused:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Based on today's performance, mine's stuffed  :(

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Based on today's performance, mine's stuffed  :(

I wouldn't feel too bad, you weren't even a member when Thumper posted sub 4.0 figures  :whistler:

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I have a MY2011 1.6 diesel manual.

I have recently made two return  trips to the south of France with the following fuel consumption figures:

First trip 1872  miles(2995 km) -  heavily loaded both ways  -  mostly motorway at 70 -80 mph (110 - 130 kph)  returned 47.95 mpg (4.9 l/100k) by brim to brim fills and 47.35 mpg (4.97)  by car computer.

Second trip 1252 miles (2000km) - just me outward and heavily loaded return- mostly motorway - returned overall 48.77 mpg (4.82) by brim to brim.  Car comp   48.5 mpg (4.85)

A computer generated route by the shortest distance  for the second journey gave 630 miles or 1260 for a return trip.  My car odometer recorded 1252 miles for that trip which were a longer/faster routes than computer version and which  included an amount of off route miles finding hotel and restaurants etc.
It suggests that I need to do an comparison check between the car odometer and my sat nav GPS mileage which, presumably, is very accurate.  If the car odo is reading low then the fuel consumption figures are better than those above.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline dungy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland
my i30 active 1.8 manual petrol is 2 weeks old the trip computer during urban driving shows between 4.9 - 6.1 per 100 ... not sure how accurate this thing is.

• i30 Gd active manual 1.8 MY12

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Welcome Dungy,

You need to tell us how far in total for the tank you've traveled. The figures vary hugely initially because the computer doesn't have any distance to work with. It settles down about 100k into the tank. What is your Average speed for the trip  :question:

Offline abagnara

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
I've had my i30 Active for 2 weeks,  and I've reset the Trip Computer for both tanks.  I drive abut 50/50 Semi Rural / Urban.  I have the 1.8 Petrol.   I'm averaging about 6.3 l/ 100kms.  Very happy.   The city pulls it up towards 7.5,  but I drive carefully,  but still hit all the speed limits, and I don't dawdle either.  I found just using the gears better and changing my driving style a tad I can get under the quoted figures.  And the bowser litres and the kms, all calculate to around the computer.
  • i30 MY12 Active 1.8 6SP Petrol

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Welcome Abagnara,

Good result for a petrol engine  :goodjob2:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Active Illawarra Region
I don't know how these things work (still learning). We reset ours every time we fill up and my trip computer tells me we're averaging about 9.6 litres per 100kms. Not sure what we're doing wrong. Admittedly it only goes on the freeway to travel between suburbs so most of it is just around town but we don't drive like crazy people and we have the eco function on all the time. I knew we'd be over what was advertised but I didn't think it would be by so much.
  • 2012 Hyundai i30 Active

ouri30
Do GD owners know they can choose to have their average fuel consumption reset whenever they refill the tank.  It's in the custom settings using the trip button.  You can turn it on or off.

Our ix35 does this.  As soon as you start driving after filling up, the average resets automatically.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Do GD owners know they can choose to have their average fuel consumption reset whenever they refill the tank.  It's in the custom settings using the trip button.  You can turn it on or off.

Our ix35 does this.  As soon as you start driving after filling up, the average resets automatically.

No, I didn't, thanks.  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Active Illawarra Region
Awesome  :goodjob: Thanks! I had no idea. Just been doing it manually (you'd never guess I pretty much read the entire boring manual that comes with our car from the amount of stuff I seem to have missed  :rolleyes:)
  • 2012 Hyundai i30 Active

ouri30
Awesome  :goodjob: Thanks! I had no idea. Just been doing it manually (you'd never guess I pretty much read the entire boring manual that comes with our car from the amount of stuff I seem to have missed  :rolleyes:)

Haven't even taken delivery of the GD yet.  Have downloaded the Ero manual as an iPhone app on both my phone and iPad.  Need to use a mirror to understand the diagrams so it doesn't mess with my mind.  Makes it hard to read though.    :argh:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal