i30 Owners Club

Targa West i30

Razy · 49 · 11458

Offline Razy

• 2nd Gear
For everybody who would like to spend a nice weekend outdoors watching fast cars the Targa West rally is on next week. The spectator guide is out, you can download it at http://www.targawest.com.au/tabid/134/Default.aspx or buy the Autotrader magazine and get a free copy of the guide. The rally starts on Thursday with a short run at the Perth Motorplex in Kwinana, followed by three full days of racing around Perth.

If you would like to have a closer look at the i30 then just drop into one of the service parks along the way - they are located at Burswood, Bindoon, Kalamunda and Toodyay and you can find out from the itinerary when the cars are due in - I do not have the start list yet, but we should be one of the first cars to start. Show a Hyundai key and you can sit in the navigator's seat - if it is an i30 key then you can try the driving seat :-)

Raz

Offline middy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• White i30 SLX CRDi, 5sp man. Brisbane, QLD
Good luck Raz!!  Keep us updated on progress.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yeah, good luck M8 .. and thanks for the nice gestures... :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
I'll be at the Bindoon stages as usual Razy, I'll say g'day if I see you at the service park.

Oggie
I'll be in Toodyay in our i30. I hope to see you there. :)

Good luck!

Offline Razy

• 2nd Gear
Just a quick update after day 1: we are currently third overall behind a Nissan GTR and an Audi S4. We are leading our class by 24 seconds and the car is running great! More tomorrow, we've got to go now! You can watch live results at www.targawest.com.au.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Fantastic job Razy.. keep up the good work.. (and thanks for the update.. I'm off now to check out that link..)  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Here's the latest I could find.. Amazing ... (Look what cars they are beating..)

Oggie
Go Razy! He was still leading his class affter SS18 (they haven't yet updated the rest of the results for today).

My wife and I went up to Toodyay to watch. Saw him at the Toodyay service park, but never got a chance to say hello. They basically were jumping back in the car as soon as we found him in the park..

Offline Razy

• 2nd Gear
Hi!

There was a bit of a mistake in the results, the GTR and the Audi got a 5 minutes penalty yesterday, but that was overturned today so we are actually third overall, but still leading our class by 1 minute and 37 seconds.

I never thought that I would be in a position to fight for the podium outright, but at the end of the first day that was clearly a possibility. Today I was trying to keep the WRX Sti behind us, which I managed to do until the first service, but then they had to retire with a broken clutch so all that is left for us is to keep a steady pace and bring the i30 back in third place. There is really no chance for us to catch the GTR or the Audi S4, they are both 4WD cars with 3-4 times more power than the i30.

Yesterday we got the first stage win in Targa, setting the fastest time on the first run of Kalamunda.

I'll keep you posted on the progress tomorrow, but the plan is not to take any risks and maintain our position.

I am sorry that I did not have much time in the service park to talk to you, but the organisers decided to reduce the service time from 25 to 20 minutes so by the time we checked everything and had a bite to eat it was time to go again. Maybe tomorrow it will be better.

Raz

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

We are very proud of our member Razy..(and his wife)  Whatever the final outcome ... :mrgreen:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
We are very proud of our member Razy..(and his wife)  Whatever the final outcome ... :mrgreen:

:D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Keep up the good work Razy!

Show the ignorant Hyundai hating fools what the i30 is capable of!

Regards

Daniel

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Go Razy Go :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline middy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

You're doing great mate.  Keep it up. 

<Cue the Pom Pom Girls>  Razy ... Razy ... he's our man ... if anyone can do it .... Razy can! ... Yeeeaaahhhhh

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

Good work Razy - I seen you leaving the service park yesterday, seen you arrive today but you were too busy to interrupt.  Got a good vid of your startoff at Muchea yesterday.  Man there was so much rain.  I couldnt belive how boggy the Bindoon oval got yesterday, and changing it to that estate up the road today didnt seem to be working too well, too many 'wooducks' driving around holding up the competitors.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHdwZhuzqck[/youtube]

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good one LD..

Just been to the website looks like Razy hung on to 3rd.. Fantastic work M8 (results are provisional)

Oggie
Top stuff Razy! That is brilliant considering the competition.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
and from a diesel,an amazing little engine. :cool: :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

Excellent work Razy, not only is the i30 a great car for the price, but you are also a top driver!

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
what other cars have you raced in previously. :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline middy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Fantastic job Razy.  Will we be seeing any more in-car footage on YouTube in the near future?

Offline Razy

• 2nd Gear
Hi!

Thanks for your support, it was a really tight schedule this weekend so I did not get much time to post any updates.

The i30 did not miss a beat all weekend, we just rotated the tyres and changed the brake fluid at the end of the second day (which was mainly precautionary since Sunday was going to be dry and hard on the brakes).

All the effort that we put into the pre-event preparations really showed, the car was great, the service crew looked after it, my navigator was spot on and all I had to worry about was driving the car!

I have uploaded a small section of our in car camera footage, you can view it at:

Raz

Offline Razy

• 2nd Gear
what other cars have you raced in previously. :razz:

I started in an Opel Vectra GT, then moved on to a Mazda 323 and I now have a Daihatsu Charade GTti that I rally on gravel.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

Here's a pic of the i30 CW support car if anyone wants a squiz

Offline Razy

• 2nd Gear
This is actually the 0B car, which runs ahead of the competition cars to make sure that the course is ok. Our support car was a Hyundai iLoad van, with a very similar signwriting to the competition car.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

This is actually the 0B car, which runs ahead of the competition cars to make sure that the course is ok. Our support car was a Hyundai iLoad van, with a very similar signwriting to the competition car.

Here's a pic at the relocated Bindoon service park.

Hey Razy how did you find the Sunday service park at Bindoon?  Looked like a bit of a mess with the competitors getting blocked by other cars.

Offline Razy

• 2nd Gear
It was a lot better in the new location, at least we could work on the tarmac and not in the mud! The traffic was a bit of an issue, but the organisers managed it in the end and it was not too bad.

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Great work Razy!

I think you've done us all proud!

You've also proven what I have yet to have the guts to do....... get the tail sliding out without using the hand brake*! Not bad for a FWD car!

*Note the above statement does not indicate that I have the intention to do similar nor that I have done similar with the use of handbrake!

Regards

Daniel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Nice little Video there Razy.. Very smooth driving.. :razz:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal