i30 Owners Club

Choosing between an i30 SR and an i30N

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I have had quite a few people say "when am I upgrading from my SR to an i30N?" or you should have waited for the "N" etc..

So I thought I would start this thread with a few observations.

Now don't get me wrong. I sure I will love the i30N and it is the right car (at the right time) Hyundai badly needed a Halo car in Australia as we never got the fully fledged Genesis Coupe (closest we got was the V6 Tiburon)

As much as I enjoy an occasional fang in a sporty car, there are a lot of other times where an auto trans is so convenient. The DCT in the SR is really very good and is not yet available in the N.

I paid around $31K on the road for my PD i30 SR DCT (non Premium) and haven't missed the Sunroof or heated/cooled seats one bit.

I would have liked the LED headlights but for $63 I upgraded my headlight globes to brighter ones with great results.

Anyway,  for a minimum of 10K extra (for even the base model N) I would get a manual N with quite a bit more grunt, a customizable tune and a sexy exhaust note. But, how often would I get to use that? The SR already has plenty of zip and more performance than I can regularly use on public roads.

If I was 10 or more years younger and been happy to part with 10K or 15K more (for the Performance model) then I may have waited for the N.

I am really happy with the SR in every way and certainly wouldn't now pay $15 to $20K upgrading to an N.

If we ever replace Trish's 2014 Manual Tourer though (and have $40K burning a hole in our pocket) then we could trade that and I'm sure as someone who likes Zippy and prefers a manual, she would be very happy. But that scenario is extremely unlikely as she has only done just a bit over 20,000 kilometres in 3 years.   
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
The lease on my ute runs out in 12 months (I extended it for another year), so when that runs out the i30N is definitely on the radar as a replacement.  I would even consider the Veloster Turbo (great deals at the moment $31,500 drive away with free auto).  The other options are another ute (albeit a 4wd ute like a Hilux or similar), a Mazda MX-5, or even keep the ute for another year.

The i30N is probably the preferred option, just for size; although the fat kids will start leaving the house in about 12 months time so rear seat room isn't a priority, after all my current car only has two seats.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I'd have a i30n dazz, but I know my licence would not last, I used to drive the old i30 crdi manuals too fast in the bush. and when I got the ol hill 4x4 diesel has kept my speed down but I ride motor bike a bit fast too. still would have the n as I love manual and torque.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The N would be nice, and so would a Stringer.

But cars are an expense as far as I am concerned. Speed limits mean you will never get the best out of a sports car unless you go to a racetrack and all those wizz bang tyres, insurance (you just outed yourself to the insurance that you are a hoon, plus all those exclusive body parts are expensive to replace, and attractive to thieves)  and since you forked out all that coin, it is only natural you won't object too much to more expensive servicing over a lesser timeframe.

So I go the cheapest I can get to reduce the expense.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I wish they were bringing the fastback in SR spec here... Would have definitely upgraded.

My partner is missing his GD CRDi manual. That car was brilliant on fuel and drove so well.

We said we would have changed to a fastback, but we're not really used to the 1.6 petrol not being as good as the old GD on fuel.

Although, the performance and DCT is awesome!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I wish they were bringing the fastback in SR spec here... Would have definitely upgraded.

My partner is missing his GD CRDi manual. That car was brilliant on fuel and drove so well.

We said we would have changed to a fastback, but we're not really used to the 1.6 petrol not being as good as the old GD on fuel.

Although, the performance and DCT is awesome!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Because I had the Calais after the Diesel and Hybrids I'm finding mid sevens pretty easy to live with...

That is another reason I probably wouldn't have bought an N (SR is a pretty good compromise between performance and economy) :victory:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal