Android Auto won't play my MP3's on my new Samsung S8

Dazzler · 15 · 5233

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
When I had my LG G4 Smartphone, I could just press the voice command button on the steering wheel and say "play music" and it would start playing the music on my phone.

When I try it with the new S8 it just switches to Google play and does nothing. DOne some googling without success.

By fiddling with the setting I found I can switch to a radio App I loaded but no option to switch to music player.

The phone has Google Music player plus Edge music player and I also added VLC music player.

I transferred the music from the Micro SD card to the phone's internal storage (64GB phone) in case that was the issue but made no difference.

@elantraelite Dean (or anyone else) have any ideas?  I'm guessing something simple...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazz, Take the phone back and swap it for a iPhone  :snigger:

If they did those on the same $59 deal I'd consider it... But very happy with the phone so far apart from this small glitch. There will be a workaround.  :goodjob:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

If they did those on the same $59 deal I'd consider it... But very happy with the phone so far apart from this small glitch. There will be a workaround.  :goodjob:

That's the thing with iPhones, Dazz, you don't have to do workarounds, they just work.   :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's the thing with iPhones, Dazz, you don't have to do workarounds, they just work.   :whistler:

:rolleyes:

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
That's the thing with iPhones, Dazz, you don't have to do workarounds, they just work.   

Yeah, within the (severe) restrictions Apple imposes...
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That's the thing with iPhones, Dazz, you don't have to do workarounds, they just work.   

Yeah, within the (severe) restrictions Apple imposes...
What restrictions are those :confused:

Online AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
What restrictions are those :confused:

Your bank balance for one.

The Apple store in my town is always heaving with the gullible. Apple mania is a terrible disease.

( I know how to make friends..... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:)
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Hey Dazz,

I can't really think of a reason for it not working. Have  you got google assistant Installed on your S8? Maybe it's trying to use Samsung's Bixby voice recognition?

Sorry I'm not much help.

Our i30 sometimes doesn't pick up the "ok google" command. Voice button always works.

I've got a Google Pixel. Amazing phone especially camera quality. Bit of a ugly phone but work well.

Suprisingly the Cartronics headunit has been flawless in the Santa Fe with Android Auto. The i30 not so much. Bit disappointing given its actually from Hyundai.

I'd definitely check if google assistant is installed first.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Dean, Will do. No problems, it appears to be a common issue with the S8 according to a link a mate found on the net.

Hopefully Samsung will do a firmware/software update to fix it in due course. Doesn't like my bluetooth headphones either. 

It works on bluetooth with voice calls but not Music.  :crazy1:

Edit: Google assistant wasn't installed (but is now) I'll see if that makes any difference later... :cool:

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA

What restrictions are those

Ever tried to flash your Apple phone with an alternative ROM that better suits your needs? Just to name one example. An other would be trying to connect a bluetooth OBD II dongle to your Apple device.
If you need to ask the question, you would be squarely in the user group who are happy to accept, as is, whatever Apple decides to give you. It's nothing wrong with that not everyone is a tinkerer, but the restrictions are there, never the less.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Ever tried to flash your Apple phone with an alternative ROM that better suits your needs? Just to name one example. An other would be trying to connect a bluetooth OBD II dongle to your Apple device.
If you need to ask the question, you would be squarely in the user group who are happy to accept, as is, whatever Apple decides to give you. It's nothing wrong with that not everyone is a tinkerer, but the restrictions are there, never the less.

Yes, if you are a tinkerer, then the iPhone is not for you.  However, the majority of phone users don't tinker, and never use the full capability of their phones.  I heard a great quote about smart phones from Stephen Fry (IIRC).  He was asked to explain a smart phone to somebody in the 50s.  He said that in his hand he held a device about the size of a cigarette packet, in that he had access to all of the information in the world.  What he used it for was to send photos of cats to his friends.

I have put myself in the iPhone user category, probably for a long time.  Most of the applications that I use for work are only available on iPhone and iPad.  This includes all of my aircraft performance calculation software, weather, aviation documents and company documents. 

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
However, the majority of phone users don't tinker, and never use the full capability of their phones. 

Doesn't change the fact that Apple restricts their software the most. Don't gloss over the Bluetooth issues. That is outside the "tinkerer scope". Way outside...

Anyway, it's not helping the Dazz with his S8 troubles.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheers guys. I altered a few settings (including ticking a box to have it connect to two audio devices at once via Bluetooth ) and it will now play mp3s in the car via Bluetooth when unplugged but not when doing the android auto thing by usb thing.

I don't actually listen to music in the car that much so I'll just listen to  radio if I need a fix, until they sort it.  :goodjob:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

I’ve never understood why people want to ruin a perfectly good and secure iPhone by jail breaking it :crazy1: should never have bought the iPhone in the first place if thats what they were looking to do with it as that’s what Android phones are for being that Android is essentially a hacked version of Linux and purposely designed for “tinkering” :)

As for the Bluetooth OBD dongle, they work just fine if you get the right brand and not some cheap crap, personally I use a Bosch device with cable connection as I find the wifi and Bluetooth devices are all a bit of a gimmick.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal