i30 Owners Club

Knocking noise in the engine bay [petrol/manual only]

gw · 45 · 21236

Offline gw

• 2nd Gear
gw its highly possible that its not your engine mounts causing the banging noise,especially if they were changed and the noise was still there.  :idea: very very few members have posted about banging engine mounts,if any. i will admit the mounts are very soft,I've had my mounts looked at for just that reason.

In my origional letter I mentioned that the dealership tested all the new petrol/manual i30's and they all had the same knocking noise.I've also mentioned that it's standard practice for car companies to cover things up and Hyundai will(or they probably already have)fix the problem in the later models.The reason for this is very simple.

The only way to fix this problem is for Hyundai to own up and recall all petrol/manual i30's to fit new re-engineered engine mounts.Carmakers do not like recalls because it effects the  sales of new cars .Hyundai (since 1999)have decided that they want to be known to the world  as a manufacturer of good quality cars unlike their previous cars which were considered as "five year warranty throw away cars".

Naturally they want to succeed and I feel they're doing a good job and they'll stop at nothing to ensure they do succeed which means avoiding recalls and any bad publicity.One example is the Ford motor company .They fitted brake hoses to certain vehicles that were too short and these hoses started to break but they refused to do a recall until Carguide started up a campaign to force Ford to back down and eventually they did do a recall which has now had a big impact on they're sales.This happened beteen 2008 and 2010.

Another example but this time it's Hyundai.The new Santa Fe's have an issue with the front tyres scrubbing out and Hyundai won't address the issue.One woman wrote into Carsguide where as the dealership sent her new Santa Fe away to be fitted with an after market camber kit which fixed the problem which was paid for by the dealer. In my opinion this is not aceptable.A dealer should'nt have to fit after market parts to a car  that's under warranty.

It's possible that by fitting aftermarket engine mounts to my car may get rid of the knocking noise but honestly I should'nt have to as I will have to pay for it.If Hyundai are going to keep doing this with warranty issues then I'll seriously consider not buying another Hyundai again.I am loosing faith with Hyundai in general but not so much with they're cars.gw

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
You are clearly very angry GW and I guess I would be if my car had what I perceived has a serious problem which no one could solve, but, doing a rant about other car makes and expressing what can only be described as paranoaic notions about *ALL* cars having this fault is not likely to get you much support.  As far as I am aware no-one here has experienced this problem, and most, myself included, have had a pretty decent experiences with the warranty.

Have you aproached any of the trading standards organisations in, whichever coutnry you reside?  Have you considered an engineers report and legal action?  With an independant engineers report given that he finds the knock and it's cause will give you enourmas power to negotiate.  Also, a member here asked you to post certain information in support of your allegations, I have not seen same.  I understand if you can't print it, but you could always forward it, couldn't you???

Mr Griptight

Offline gw

• 2nd Gear

I also asked The  Department of Fairtrading to take my case on but they declined.If you do your research you'll find that the laws here in Australia are very weak when it comes to trying to prosecute car makers.I was at the dealership when he tested the new cars on the car lot and I saw the results for myself.About carmakers covering things up and fixing problems on later models is a well known fact and any good mechanic wiil tell you that.I suggest that you have a look at the Carsguide website and go through the archives.Carsguide is a motoring lift out which is in most Australian newspapers every week.Car owners write in with problems on their cars and Carsguide give them advice if they can.I can't afford to take Hyundai to court to fix problems on my car.Also take another look at the i30 owners club website and you'll see that other owners have written in about this problem. The website that I found the information about the fluid engine mounts,well I could'nt find it again.I should've written it down.It was a customer support worker from the Hyundai head office here in Sydney who phoned me and he told me that all petrol manual i30's have this knocking noise. He also looked at my car.At the end of the day I'm happy with my car and I'm going to test drive a new 2011 model to see if they've fixed this problem as well as the chip tuning issue.  gw

Pip
You seem convinced but who else thinks the engine mounts are of a faulty design? Is it a case of you against them or you just being wrong?

I don't mean that to be confrontational but do we actually have a diagnosis other than "they all have it" or "I know a guy who said..."?

I'm happy to accept the possibility that the design is less than wonderful but what real information do we/you have that there is a design flaw?

It's possible that this is related to posts (on the manual diesel?) about a "boompf" noise when letting out the clutch with a few too many revs on when changing gears.

I and others have this (so easily repeatable) and have simply adopted a smooth engagement to minimise it.

Edit: ok, my post was composed before your last entry... let us all know what progress you make and whether you think the later cars are better...

Offline gw

• 2nd Gear

I also asked The  Department of Fairtrading to take my case on but they declined.If you do your research you'll find that the laws here in Australia are very weak when it comes to trying to prosecute car makers.I was at the dealership when he tested the new cars on the car lot and I saw the results for myself.About carmakers covering things up and fixing problems on later models is a well known fact and any good mechanic wiil tell you that.I suggest that you have a look at the Carsguide website and go through the archives.Carsguide is a motoring lift out which is in most Australian newspapers every week.Car owners write in with problems on their cars and Carsguide give them advice if they can.I can't afford to take Hyundai to court to fix problems on my car.Also take another look at the i30 owners club website and you'll see that other owners have written in about this problem. The website that I found the information about the fluid engine mounts,well I could'nt find it again.I should've written it down.It was a customer support worker from the Hyundai head office here in Sydney who phoned me and he told me that all petrol manual i30's have this knocking noise. He also looked at my car.At the end of the day I'm happy with my car and I'm going to test drive a new 2011 model to see if they've fixed this problem as well as the chip tuning issue.  gw .Tuesday 10/5/2011.

Sorry I forgot to mention this yesterday.Please read the Carsguide article dated friday 6/5/2011 titled "lemonaid"

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I'm as fussy & paranoid about knocks etc as the next driver having come out of a Fiat & into my petrol 1.6 i30. But I have to say, there are NO knocking noises coming from under my bonnet at all, over 16,000 miles now & coming up to 3 years old... and our roads here in the UK are like hell on earth in some places these days!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline AnubisZG

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb
Hi!! Sorry if I'am writeing this post to late.....i had same problem with my I30. I have 1.4 I30, petrol/manual...that is the last model before this new one....facelift! :D
Year of prd. is 2011. I had knocking problem from engine. Seller didnt know what to do....LONG STORY...but after 1.5 year problem is 90% solved!
Problem was with ECU!!!  Dealer updated my ECU software and problem is almost gone.....much better! Try asking your official dealer if thay have new ECU software for your car!

Hope i helped!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Hi!! Sorry if I'am writeing this post to late.....i had same problem with my I30. I have 1.4 I30, petrol/manual...that is the last model before this new one....facelift! :D
Year of prd. is 2011. I had knocking problem from engine. LONG STORY...but after 1.5 year problem is 90% solved!
Problem was with ECU!!!

Hope i helped!

Welcome to the forum & thanks for that information.  :goodjob2:

I've never heard of a cat called ECU before though.  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome AnubisZG,

Nice, your offering a solution in your 1st post, well done, hope we can help you sometime. :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yeah thanks for the input Anubis :D

After over a year lurking "it's about time" ;)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome AnubisZG,

Nice, your offering a solution in your 1st post, well done, hope we can help you sometime. :goodjob2:

:whsaid:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AnubisZG

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb
THX! Nice to be here!
I was lucky and persistent!  :mrgreen:
I found service in Croatia who is great and professional. (Hyundai Birt- official Hyundai service) 
The general distributor for Croatia didn't know what to do and thay were just playing with me! Only after I started writeing to Hyundai Germany thay started doing something. In mid time Birt started playing with ECU (Engine control unit). He has lot of experience with cars for raceing and as I heard everyone in Croatia and this region when dont know what to do came to him!

Anyway he reported his work to Germany and Hyundai sent official ECU update.  :)

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Im from South Africa and I also have the knocking noise, to me it sounds like its coming from the area of the alternator ! Must be the little i30 gremlin knocking so someone could let him out !
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Im from South Africa and I also have the knocking noise, to me it sounds like its coming from the area of the alternator ! Must be the little i30 gremlin knocking so someone could let him out !
looking through the Thread you resurrected here it looks like the idea of your problem being related to "pinging" may be close to the mark if an ECU update made such a marked improvement.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
the auto also has a fluid mount on the front of the engine (left side if you're looking into the engine bay from the front fo the car)

They are pretty soft.  Mine has made a clunk noise once when I took a speed bump a little too fast.  Aside from that no problem.  The mount is very similar to one on my first car, a peugeot.  That mount broke one day when I hit a pot hole... in a car park.  I suppose as long as you're careful you shouldn't have to replace one for a very long time though

Try driving differently, take it easy on the car for a little while, make an effort not to smash it over speed bumps or thrash it from a stop

if that fails maybe someone makes a poly mount or you could find a universal one that may fit

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal