Steering wheel audio controls

QSR · 13 · 7064

Offline QSR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Australia - Stone Black i30 SX CRDI Auto
TAKE 2..... :P

I have a crdi auto which already has factory fitted cruise control.
What I am trying to assertain is, because it already has factory cruise control - would/could it already have the correct wiring harness suitable for the fitment of the steering wheel mounted audio controls?

I would think/expect ( for a global car ) that it would be more cost effective to manufacture as few  combinations/variants as possible.

Does anyone have access to various part numbers for these wiring harness's so I can to try and work it out if it is possible?

Also, has anyone removed the blanking cover where the audio controls fit into the steering wheel - how does it come out without breaking anything?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
TAKE 2..... :P

Also, has anyone removed the blanking cover where the audio controls fit into the steering wheel - how does it come out without breaking anything?

Hiya Chris

I can't answer the first part(s) of your post but to access the blanking cover you simply need to remove the drivers airbag module.

According to a TSB I once say you "simply" remove the airbag mounting screws. Now, where these are I do not know...

Which leaves you with this

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline QSR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Mmmm.....thanks Shambles......that is good info......especially the pictures.

The air bag screws must/can only be the 2 chrome grub screws/bolts behind the steering wheel pointing towards the steering shaft ( they are the only screws visible externally on the steering wheel )

I do suspect that the airbag is going to need to be de-activated FIRST before attempting to remove those screws..........I hope someone can clarify this for me though.

Once the airbag is off, it appears that you may be able to slide the blanking off - you can/would also be able to see if the correct wiring plug is present to attach to an audio control switch panel

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

I do suspect that the airbag is going to need to be de-activated FIRST before attempting to remove those screws..........I hope someone can clarify this for me though.

Here's a quote from that TSB

Caution)
•  Do not drop airbag module
•  When reinstalling the airbag module, take care not to pinch the wiring 
•  Always store the airbag module facing up

.. so I guess provided you are careful you needn't deactivate the module

Now check your PM inbox :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline IMCRZY

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong

• Wollongong, NSW, Australia
When i worked at Nissan we used to just disconnect the battery before removing any airbags....

I'd say just do that to be on the safe side

Offline QSR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Offline QSR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

When i worked at Nissan we used to just disconnect the battery before removing any airbags....

I'd say just do that to be on the safe side

Just trying to be extra extra safe, before being very very sore & sorry :eek:

Offline IMCRZY

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong

• Wollongong, NSW, Australia
I know hey i had one brake my nose and fracture my cheek bone....

It went off as i was undoing it because the apprentice didnt dissconect the battery.... (8 Weeks Compo)

But on the other hand i had an apprentice drop one out of a Nissan Maxima and nothing happened

Just luck of the draw

Offline QSR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Update:

Today I removed the airbag from the steering wheel .
A, T40 torque bit was needed to remove the 2 screws at back of steering wheel.

Have now discovered that a different wiring harness will be needed behind air bag.
Tracing the wiring back from the factory fitted cruise control - wiring part number K56190-2L400, it goes to a plug-in at the clock spring. It has 6 spare holes in that plug to allow more wires to be fitted. ( suspect for the audio switch )
 I will try to order this wiring harness in from Hyundai dealer and order the switch from Korean Imports......maybe, I might order the switch first just in case it already comes with that wiring :idea:
Part number of new wiring harness to suite cruise control and audio controls is unknown to me at this stage.

I just can't seem to read the part number on that sticker wrapped around that wiring loom ( on the right  ) in the photo in the TSB Shambles..........bugger......that is going to be the part number I need I think

Also, do not try to remove the audio control blanking cover because you will break something for sure - it has 2 small screws holding it in place from inside steering wheel area - the only way it will come off is by completely removing steering wheel, remove rear steering wheel trim and un-screwing from behind

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good effort QSR thanks for sharing.... :wink:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline I30Racer

• 2nd Gear

• lu Luxembourg
      Luxembourg
@QSR,

It`s everything right in your description.

But don`t forget before you disconnect the airbag!
Remove the - connector from battery AND push 3-4 times the Brake.(to leave Rest of Energy)

Then you will find on the Back of the Airbag Panel 2 connectors:
one "minus" (easy to remove) and one special with a yellow pin.First you must remove the yellow pin before you can retire the special connector.

Note:
I installed (successfully) an additional steering wheel module many weeks ago :wink:

Offline Will_Turner

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
So how did it go?

I have a SX manual with cruise fitted and would like the audio controls.

Is the harness from the clock spring to the radio complete?
Do you know the part number for the steering wheel harness with the audio and the cruise, and where did you source it?

Did it work?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Will.. I can't help you with that one but I'm sure someone will... :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal